Keeping the LNG! - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Keeping the LNG!

It will all depend on the same variables that we have now.
How bad does somebody want it--and how much bacon they're willing to peel off for it.

Today, just because something old is hanging in a store with a higher price tag does not mean it's worth it, nor will sell for that.

Look at eBay--even the so-called "guitar dealers."
Do a search for an RG550.
You'll see some in good condition listed with BIN for $500-600, yet someone else selling a beater for a grand.
Not a serpent, either. Not even a DX. Just a plain 'ol black, blue or other common finish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 PM

Ain't that the truth.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 AM

I have a question.....not to be offensive, or contrary, or anything of the sort, but why buy a guitar that you want to play if you can't make it your own.

It sounds like you want to PLAY this guitar, which will decrease the retail value I'm assuming, but if you're not looking to ever sell it (I don't know why you'd buy a guitar that you want to play, knowing you're eventually going to sell it), then what does it hurt to make it the way you want it?

I just bought a guitar a little while ago that, if I ever sold it, I would lose my ass on, but is by far the best playing Ibanez I've ever personally picked up....so to me, it was a win.

If that's your goal, then I would suggest following your heart, just don't have them glue the frets in, and you can have it re-fretted if you need to re-sell.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Because there's tons of guitars out there that are basically the same thing that aren't sought after collectors items.

He could buy a player DY that's 100% the same guitar with a different paint job for way less money and do whatever he wants to it without really worrying about killing the value.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
Today in 2013 a Jem is a highly prized used guitar. But in ten or twenty years they will bring in vintage CBS and pre-CBS prices. Right now at the used guitar store, which has otherwise inexpensive players guitars, has a beat up, refinished 1957 Duo Jet. It may not be great, but even then with original neck and tuners, original frets, original electronics and most original hardware, it goes for $900 dollars. Twenty years ago you couldn't give that thing away.
To play Devil's Advocate for a minute, suppose you got that Duo Jet for free a number of years ago because someone was just trying to give it away. Then you refretted it, fixed the wiring, etc. Now today you want to sell the guitar. These are fake numbers but let's say that because it's no longer original, you can only get $600 for it. Do you actually care that you're leaving $300 on the table, especially considering that you probably enjoyed that guitar all those years?

I bought my LNG about a year and a half ago for $3300 and I know I could get quite a bit more than that even today if I wanted to sell it. It wouldn't be hard to make the argument that someone who spends that kind of money on a guitar that mostly sits in a case and rarely gets played has some spare money to throw around. So again, would that person be ultimately concerned about the potential resale value of the guitar? If turning profits is the most important thing, there are much better but way less sexy ways to do that.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Reviews: 1

You have a really nice LNG with a palm rest and the original case. I see it as a collectors piece and not a player. I think you should leave it as a collectors piece. You can always buy a players condition guitar, be it a JEM, or 700 or 500 series to mod and play. How many people actually have a nice condition LNG with the palm rest and pyramid case? Not many, and the value will only increase with time. You have probably one of the top 3 most expensive collectible JEMs. LNG, 10th, and DNA.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
You have a really nice LNG with a palm rest and the original case. I see it as a collectors piece and not a player. I think you should leave it as a collectors piece. You can always buy a players condition guitar, be it a JEM, or 700 or 500 series to mod and play. How many people actually have a nice condition LNG with the palm rest and pyramid case? Not many, and the value will only increase with time. You have probably one of the top 3 most expensive collectible JEMs. LNG, 10th, and DNA.
THIS^^^^^

I've wrestled with selling my LNG with palmrest and pyramid case--and seriously hope it doesn't sell...lol.

But--to get back to topic, I hardly played it--if ever.
That's what the other guitars were for. I'd play the other Jems and RGs--and use the RGs as my pickup review test beds.
I'd NEVER consider replacing a single thing on my LNG--not one.

Yes, a guitar is meant to be played, as previously pointed out. But, when a certain brand/model gets to a status like the LNG--you have to start thinking long term.
"What if you ever had to sell it?" etc....
You'd want top dollar for a rare beast with all original parts.

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Red face Re: Keeping the LNG!

Just an observation about the palmrest... So this guy sued Ibanez for using his patented palm rest after seeing it on a LNG. After that, I never ever again saw another product with the much contested palmrest... Smart move by that guy He should have waited until Ibanez had produced thousands of palmrest equipped guitars, and THEN he should have sued. Then Ibanez would have settled for sure and all Edges would have been equipped with a palmrest. Just sayin'
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
To play Devil's Advocate for a minute, suppose you got that Duo Jet for free a number of years ago because someone was just trying to give it away. Then you refretted it, fixed the wiring, etc. Now today you want to sell the guitar. These are fake numbers but let's say that because it's no longer original, you can only get $600 for it. Do you actually care that you're leaving $300 on the table, especially considering that you probably enjoyed that guitar all those years?
Good point. I should have said Fender Duo Sonic and not Duo Jet but either were worthless during early vintage craze. I truly did enjoy my expertly refretted 1965 and 1968 Telecasters. I had each for a few years and they played like new instruments but had the extra benefit of the original pickups and vintage sound. The '68 was refretted before I owned it but apparently it was one of those awful frets under lacquer things from post CBS era. The lacquer was so thick on the original but when it chipped off the wood wore down quickly in relation to lacquer. It's not a pretty look from those late 60s to early 70s Fenders and the normal playing neck wear isn't even like new ones or pre-CBS ones. The '65 could have probably gone well if I raised the action and used it as a slide guitar. It was nice to play with new frets though but when I see just necks from these things bringing in thousands, it makes me wonder. Both were either totally refinned necks or partially refinned and one had dry rot, as common on old Fenders still being used heavily, and the other had a few divots of spongy wood. Maple is much stronger than mahogany, but even they can get spongy soft, dirty, and eventually corrode away.

I did see an original '57 strat neck for two grand many years ago and I thought it was crazy. It turns out I was crazy not to buy that. People want original and will pay and this explains why a Les Paul case from its first run before 1960 is worth twenty grand. Let's say you have $150,000 dollar Les Paul from the era but when you add the $20,000 dollar case then you have original Les Paul with original case and it brings in $200,000 grand or more.

If I had a vintage Fender which was otherwise original but the frets and came across an original old Fender neck with original frets for big bucks, I would still snap it up in an instant. There's nothing terribly special about old Fender necks but examples of old ones with original frets are becoming as rare as hens teeth to find. Each year some old Fender neck is fretting out so owner either gladly or reluctantly refrets it to make it playable.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 11-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, i mean im totally cool with trading down to a super beat up BFP, SK or DY but i really like the way this one plays. There isnt much fret wear on mine and the action is absurdly low. The maple neck feels great too.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Yeah, i mean im totally cool with trading down to a super beat up BFP, SK or DY but i really like the way this one plays. There isnt much fret wear on mine and the action is absurdly low. The maple neck feels great too.
If you love the way it plays then play it man...that's the reason it was built. If you (it's owner) get more enjoyment from playing it than keeping it in a case and pulling it out to stare at it once in a while, then just play it.

To hell with the resale value...You could get hit by a bus tomorrow and a pristine condition LNG won't do you a damn bit of good laying under a tire
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah im not too concerned with resale/getting money out of it, I just dont want to be "that" guy that ruins it for a collector.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 PM

To answer your question; you would be that "guy". If you want to hack up a guitar, there are plenty less expensive Jems and RG's to do that with. I rarely pull my LNG out of its case and usually when I do it's for something special. I have RG's and custom Jem's that I've built to my specs to play on a daily basis. Why anyone would want to hack up the Jem that started it all is beyond me.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah im afraid 5/7ths of jemsite will try to kill me on sight! Ill probably just wait for a trade on a beat up BFP, SK or DY then.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 11

As far as reasons to keep a guitar in top shape even if you intend on keeping it, here's my reasoning.

GAS hits hard and fast. Half the jems I've bought I've intended on keeping... But then of course I'd see something I want that I didn't have and off they'd go. It's nice to have the ability to get any guitar you want by getting rid of one you have.

The only guitars id never get rid of, ever, are my ibanez gio, Gibson SG standard, and Fender Mexican strat. Everything else is expendable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode