Kennydoe's string-stretching secrets *revealed*!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Kennydoe's string-stretching secrets *revealed*!!!

There have been a few threads lately with people wondering how to keep their guitars in tune after changing strings.

Obviously this is all covered on ibanezrules.com and on the tech section here at Jemsite, but i thought i'd share my own method which works quite well for me.

Step One:
I change from the top down (E-B-G-D-A-E(-B on the UV)). I unlock the trem only on the strings I'm changing. I don't know if this makes a difference in anything, but that's what I do. (I put the pad back on, but don't lock the ones that i've finished)

Step Two:
While sitting in front of the TV, stretch the high E-string first by placing your fourth finger on the 19th fret and bending up a whole step, then back down, then do the 15th fret, then the 13th, etc. Retune the guitar, repeat 2-3 times. It will come back less and less out of tune each time you do it. Repeat on all strings. It doesn't matter what show you're watching.

Step Three:
Sit in front of the TV and noodle - lots of bendy blues licks. no shredding (ever). Do this without the bar - you don't need the temptation. Tune every couple of minutes. Once the guitar is satisfactorily in tune and pretty much staying in tune, lock the trem. It wont' stay in tune if you use the bar a lot if it's unlocked no matter how hard you try, so don't bother.

Step Four:
After about an hour of playtime, you might find the guitar is in tune with itself, but has dropped a little flat. To correct this, tune the guitar to itself (even if it's flat). Then, without unlocking the trem, tighten the trem claw screws in back about 1/8-1/4 turn (depending on how out of tune it is). Once it's very close, use the fine tuners to tune it. If it comes back sharp, loosen the trem screws a little (split the difference).

I change my strings every 2-3 weeks depending on how heavy my gig schedule is. Also see my post on 'pre-breaking' strings to extend the life of strings if you use a floyd rose trem.
here => http://www.jemsite.insomnia-vhosting...pic.php?t=1098

It's about the 6th post down.

Good luck everyone!

~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 02:03 AM
Vendor

Re: Kennydoe's string-stretching secrets *revealed*!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
To correct this, tune the guitar to itself (even if it's flat). Then, without unlocking the trem, tighten the trem claw screws in back about 1/8-1/4 turn (depending on how out of tune it is). Once it's very close, use the fine tuners to tune it. If it comes back sharp, loosen the trem screws a little (split the difference).

~Kenny
This is good advice, I cheat them that way as much as allowed. I's recomend tighten the claw a hair at a time though, like 32nd/16th turns till it's close. A 1/4 turn is enough to change the trem angle slightly so I'll take what the angle allows me before I unlock and use the tuners.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 05:16 AM

can you still do this if you are not in front of the TV?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
are you back from holidays Simon?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
It is the most important part, yes. Hard to explain to you commoners, but it does indeed make a difference.

~K
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 12:13 PM

that's Dr. Commoner to you Kenny!

Tags
claw screws , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode