The King of the Jems?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

The King of the Jems??

As a longtime Jem collector my friends always ask "if you had to sell all except one, what would you keep?" This always makes me wonder, what is the ultimate Jem? Some may argue the LG for it's originality, the 10th for it's beauty, or the VWH for it's long-standing rule as the ultimate player's Jem. Personally, I'd have to go with the DNA for it's wow-factor, no-two-alike finish, rarity and the fact that the designer donated his own blood to the project.
As we approach the 25 yr anniversary of this model, what's your vote for the "King of the Jems"???
ML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Re: The King of the Jems??

You actually summed it up for me as far as I see it.

I think the FP's are pretty popular, the DNA's definitely have the wow factor, and the VWH's are probably most recognizable.

It's really hard for me to say.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM

I'd go for DNA. By the way, does anyone think / know if Ibanez is going to release a 25th anniversary Jem?
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:49 AM

Yep DNA.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 AM

DNA, no doubt!
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 AM

DNA for sure ! Vai's spirit and blood inside, can't be more "signature"
DNA = Jem concept + Swirl + Vai's DNA = Top of the line
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Right now...(and I'm sure this has changed over the years, and will continue to do so..) I would say my all time fav Jem has got to be the Jem 90th. Very unique finish with an ebony fretboard...Me likey a lot!!
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: The King of the Jems??

The original FP!! This should have been a poll...

Last edited by DEADTUNES666; 04-23-2011 at 01:10 PM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 11

Imagine it......... In a hundred years time we'll be able to take a 2KDNA and clone Vai himself.

I would say the original FP is the most iconic for me. When someone says jem, the FP is the first image I get. I own a 7VWh and love it dearly, but came into the jem buying game at a time where the choices were either black or white.

The PAW universe is the ultimate guitar for me and I don't think I'll ever see one in the flesh let alone own one. I look at the ones on Rich's site for sale and just drool incessantly. Way too many dollero's for this little black duck. I don't have a seven string....... Yet. I think ill end up with the standard black one which is no slouch in beauty at all it's just..... Well...... I have a black les Paul, a 7VWh and my new custom arriving soon which is.......yep....... black and white. I need some color dammit.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Reviews: 2

I have to vote PMC.......
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 PM

I love my florals, but I'd have to say a really nice pattern on a PMC

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm going to say the 10th is the king for its classiness. The DNA is a fantastic idea but there only a few of them that I think had truly exceptional swirls whereas the 10th guitars all look amazing. Also the swirl had been done before... three times.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:50 PM

ofcourse is the pmc the holy grail...please come on....the lng is great too.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM

DNA is the king coz Vai's blood is in it
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
The PAW universe is the ultimate guitar for me and I don't think I'll ever see one in the flesh let alone own one. I look at the ones on Rich's site for sale and just drool incessantly. Way too many dollero's for this little black duck. I don't have a seven string....... Yet. I think ill end up with the standard black one which is no slouch in beauty at all it's just..... Well...... I have a black les Paul, a 7VWh and my new custom arriving soon which is.......yep....... black and white. I need some color dammit.
If you live in Sydney and you have time, let me know and I would be happy to let you have a play of my Universe MC.

The Universe, whilst technically not a 'Jem' is my ultimate must have 'Steve Vai' guitar - because lets face it thats when Via really came in to his own.

Having said that, as far as "Jems' go, I would have to say a DNA - it's got the guys own blood.

-Wolfram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode