The land of the new JEM and the home of rumors - put em all - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
The land of the new JEM and the home of rumors - put em all

rather than speculate in every new thread about the next direction of the JEM, I thought it would be interesting to collect all the whisperings in one place.

AS I recall, the things I've heard are:

* Steve mentioned in the G3 Aftershow (in my presence) that the new JEM will be "candy-apple blue like my old Harley. *Just layers and layers of lacquer."

* It was said here by some forum regulars that the information was that the new JEM would be low-cost model to replace the 555. *It was rumored to be purple, with dot inlays.

* It has also been said that the blue vine a' la BFP will return.

any others I've missed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:26 AM

The land of the new JEM and the home of rumors

Yeah, you forgot the fact that I'm f*cked cuz there's no way in hell there will be one at my local guitar shop EVER. *(Even though they are an authorized Ibanez dealer, they only have Ibanez's from a few years ago and one of those new Ergodyne basses that's actually pretty sweet)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:37 AM

Don't forget the acoustic JEM rumour.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:33 PM

any chance of a maple neck?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 06:43 PM

there are rumours of a sustainer or sustainiac system being installed
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 06:47 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

my guesses (totally unsubstantiated)...

* BFP neck would be maple, IF this is used?
* sustaniac - no chance
* purple/dots - seems unlikely
* feiton/earvana tempered tuning - no chance
* Japanese made - IT BETTER BE! :read:
* acoustic JEM - pointless addition to the lineup

...glen
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 06:57 PM

crush my dreams why dont ya!!

well at least I wont be dissapointed when they re-release the 555 in blue :rotf:
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 12:57 AM

I think a stained black ebony fingerboard with a light blue vine would be great! *I wonder what he means by 'candy-apple blue'. *I'd like to see this color. *Is is light or dark? *Is it a Harley specific color? *Maybe someone could post a pic of this Harley color? *I'm guessing it's going to be VERY glossy. *Man it was cool because Vai was so interested in talking about it. *I thought for sure he wouldn't say anything about the new Jem at the aftershow.

Gabe
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 03:40 AM

I heard it's going to have 24 frets and six strings.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'd personally doubt the return of the maple fretboard on a JEM

Steve hasn't used maple boards for ages, and even when the prototype BSB had a maple board the production guitar had rosewood!

But like Glen, I see anything extra fancy like a tempered tuning system os a sustainer as chances in the "slim to non existant" range.

However I welcome ANY new JEM to the line if it's japanese and has an edge/lo-pro
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 12:06 PM

Based on what I've read in the thread, and knowing how Ibanez/Hoshino seems to work, I don't see anything that drastic with the new Jem other than introducing a new color and inlay scheme. The only other thing I can guess is that Steve may introduce yet another new series of Dimarzio pickups in the new model. That's the beauty about speculation By the time this thread runs it's course, we'll envision a powder blue gloss jem with double-edge trem, sustainter, Buzz-Feiten tuning, radical new vine or pyramid scheme, and a list price to ridiculous to comprehend.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 03:48 PM

Wasn't there a DiMarzio model designed by Steve called a "Pogo" that was never released? *I seem to recall that around the time Evo became his main guitar. *Perhaps they'll be introduced in the new JEM?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 05:41 PM

alas POGO became the 7DBK as far as I know, ......
what am I saying ALAS ..... I mean Hurray!!!!

I love my D
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 06:50 PM

Well...I recall reading an interview where Vai stated that he had a 7VWH named "Pogo", and it was named after a new pickup that he was working on with DiMarzio. *It's possible that those pickups became what is now the Breed.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 09:29 PM

Not too sure about the "Pogo" becoming the "Breed." *But I DO know Vai went through and named all the pickups his was designing with DiMarzio after Harley engines. * Maybe that helps? *I'm hearing it'll be purple with gold hardware and dot inlays. *I'd love all of that except the inlays. *Gotta do something cool there!

Tags
art guitar , beautiful guitar , bfp neck , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony fingerboard , edge trem , guitar shop , ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , local guitar shop , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , scratch plate , tuning system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode