Lasher on the bay - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Lasher on the bay

would be a cool project...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Re: Lasher on the bay

no...too much damaged...what would you do with it?the body is useless and the neck isnt complete.no hardware.its trash.nothing more.sad to see this.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:46 PM

Reviews: 6

It's not sad to see, it's a great project. Even if it's just restored to 1 piece, it would make a great wall hang. It's been signed and destroyed by Steve Vai. I wouldn't buy it, but if i had been the one to find it at the show, i definately would have attempted.!
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
Its trash. Nothing more.
Bingo..... but some fool/collector will buy it! Why not just sift through Steves garbage can..... It's amazing the things people will buy and sell and call it memoribilia or a collectors item!
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Vendor

Yea, the Monterey Strat Jimi burned and smashed at that show is definitely one worthless piece of junk......
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 PM

right, there is no difference between a one time, historic event and the daily smashing of a guitar by someone who, although is a great guitar player, will never be as famous as Jimi Hendrix
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Vendor

Jimi smashed plenty of guitars. It's only "historic" because it's "history". If one is worthless, so is the other.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:03 PM

So Hendrix at Monterey, the show that broke him to American audiences was not a special show in rock history, and Hendrix is not a rock icon?
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Reviews: 6

What would you know elcid... He was a great guitar player yet, you think he'd have all this impact today had he not died when he did. Remember, he played on the last day of woodstock and by then a lot of people had left. Not many were interested in seeing him. Steve Vai is no different. give him a tragic death and he becomes larger than life. I for one am with Rich on the topic.

P.S. Rich, it's me Brian (Soon to be proud owner of an 87 sk?)
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Vendor

Jimi would have been legendary even if he hadn't injected too much, but the fact still remains. They are on different levels, but if one is worthless they're both worthless. Steve only broke guitars for one tour [or 2, I forget], and is just an important a "rock icon" to some as Jimi is to others.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 PM

I don't think a guitar that was smashed nightly as a copied visual effect and pieced back together time and again constitutes a collectors item or some great piece of rock memoribilia. For that matter just ship Steve your JEM and let him smash it up..... Instant collector memoribilia! I guess it's all in the "eye" of the fan.

Compairing this to the Monterey Strat is like compairing apples and oranges!
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Vendor

No, it's not. Both are guitars smashed on stage by the performing artists purely for the shock factor. They're both apples. One may have a bigger place in "history" and be more important to more people. That does not mean the other is worthless, and to say so is purely rediculous. It may not have THAT much monetary value, but it has monetary value.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Jimi would have been legendary even if he hadn't injected too much, but the fact still remains. They are on different levels, but if one is worthless they're both worthless. Steve only broke guitars for one tour [or 2, I forget], and is just an important a "rock icon" to some as Jimi is to others.
That's just silly, value is usually determined by popularity with items like this. Jimi Hendrix's contributions, popularity and legacy for musicians and non musicians far exceeds Vai's. I'd be interested in seeing who cares about Steve Vai 40 years after he's dead. He made goofy faces, had a guitar with a handle, and liked to have fans blow his hair around when playing live. He's an awesome guitarist, but he has his niche and that's about it.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No, it's not. Both are guitars smashed on stage by the performing artists purely for the shock factor. They're both apples. One may have a bigger place in "history" and be more important to more people. That does not mean the other is worthless, and to say so is purely rediculous. It may not have THAT much monetary value, but it has monetary value.
To say they have the same or anywhere near the same monetary value is as stupid as saying either one is worthless. To fight that it has SOME monetary value is splitting hairs. Everything has some value, often time people will say something is worthless without literally meaning it.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
What would you know elcid... He was a great guitar player yet, you think he'd have all this impact today had he not died when he did. Remember, he played on the last day of woodstock and by then a lot of people had left. Not many were interested in seeing him. Steve Vai is no different. give him a tragic death and he becomes larger than life. I for one am with Rich on the topic.

P.S. Rich, it's me Brian (Soon to be proud owner of an 87 sk?)
Give Steve Vai a tragic death and people who arent guitar players or DLR fans will say "Steve who"?

Tags
david lee roth , devin townsend , electric guitar , eric johnson , frank zappa , guitar body , guitar players , guitar playing , jimi hendrix , les paul , playing guitar , robert johnson , steve vai , tremolo bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode