Leaving Ibanez guitars - No more jems for me - Page 7 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Re: Leaving Ibanez guitars - No more jems for me

I would say a PRS is the right guitar for some-one,but a JEM is THE perfect guitar for me!Tried a PRS a long time ago and thought it was a great instrument,but not my thing.Tried a 7vwh couple of weeks ago and got one the next day! Took all of 5 seconds to know i HAD to own one of these beauties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:32 PM

Talking Re: Leaving Ibanez guitars - No more jems for me

I have some very good Ibanez guitars & a lot of other brands but I never will sell my guitars because there all good for doing some thing in the music

Shyt!- i Luv my Guitars man!!!
post #93 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 AM

I love Ibanez's, but you left Ibanez for the best guitar made, PRSs are the best, I think anyway! Most versatile & I think the best sounding, I want to get one soon, actually I want at least 2 of them, a SC & Custom 24.
post #94 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:19 AM

I currently own 3 ibanez guitars, of the 3 I can only say that my floral is a keeper. Not too keen on the tones from my UV or the neck profile on my 90.

My next guitar will most definately be either a Suhr or a Tyler....that is when I can afford it!

Until then...JEMS ALL THE WAY!
post #95 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:59 PM

SO this thread is really old. I wonder what happened with the original poster? Did he sell all his Ibanez guitars? or has he had a change of heart?
post #96 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:28 PM

FWIW, re: the pricing thing... Ibanez was actually a fairly affordable alternative until, you know, the dollar plummeted about 40% relative to the euro and yen due to absolutely stellar american fiscal and/or foriegn policy between 2000 and 2006...

A mirror top Jem for $3k list just hurts to think about, but you have to keep it in perspective. It's not just Ibanez jacking us, part of it is us doing it to ourselves.
post #97 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
FWIW, re: the pricing thing... Ibanez was actually a fairly affordable alternative until, you know, the dollar plummeted about 40% relative to the euro and yen due to absolutely stellar american fiscal and/or foriegn policy between 2000 and 2006...

A mirror top Jem for $3k list just hurts to think about, but you have to keep it in perspective. It's not just Ibanez jacking us, part of it is us doing it to ourselves.
In 2000 I was getting 132Y to the $. Last year it got as bad as 98Y to the $. That's a HUGE difference. Last transfer I made was at 113, which is better, but still not great yet.
post #98 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Time to put away the handbags ladies !
lets face it, all guitars have merits, I have owned some real rotters and also some gems.
I believe that PRS is overpriced, I recently owned an old 80's guitar called a Westone, it was a Thnder III model with thru neck and active pup's (18v)
it had an ebony fretboard and played fookin superbly.
super low action and more than a rival for my mates PRS, especially as I only paid £230 for the Westone!
But if were waving the ****ty stick about.... we cant exactly say that JEM's are often value for money!!!!!
FFS, Im trying to convince the wife that life would be better if I bought that #230 VAI2KDNA on ibanezrules at the moment.
that costs in GBP with import £3200.
and do ya know what..... I would buy it all day long if only I didnt need a new kitchen and bathroom fitted
and as far as im concerned, I dont need those things, the wife does.... I need a VAI2KDNA

Value for money is a subjective thing, personally, I wouldnt buy that DNA to hang on the wall, I would give it a damn good ragging !
and keep ragging it until I had to send it back to Rich for frets or whatever..

bottom line is, I would get my moneys worth in MY perception and todays three grand could be tommorows landfill (like the bathroom or kitchen) sigh, sigh sigh.........

live on landfill
post #99 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:53 AM

To be honest I have recently seriously considered buying a PRS but like the Gibson Les Paul Custom they seem vastly overpriced and what exactly are you getting for your money? A Designer label and a variety or pointless fancy tops that don't improve the sound and not much else

If they started out at a realistic price like £800 then I would buy one tomorrow, plus they seem to depreciate quite fast.

I don't know it bothers me that a Les Paul Doublecut copy with different pickups and a trem (optional) with a fancy veneer cost as much as a secondhand Lotus Elise and does not do anything different from a Les Paul...

Anyway why are we discussing this?? This is JEM site not the "PRS appreciation society"!!!
post #100 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 PM

Re: Leaving Ibanez guitars

[QUOTE=jimmi;4023]Am I the only one that is not that impressed with PRS guitars?? *There nice and all but I don't think they are that great. *A Les Paul has more sustain (but are heavier I guess), Any Jem or RG has a much better Trem, the I prefer the les Paul or Jem pickups (PAF or Breed, I don't like the Evos) and I think that the necks are just ok. *All the ones I have seen have only 22 frets. *

I have to second this one. I went to buy a PRS single cut and tried a fadeburst LP that was next to it and it sent the PRS home with its tailpiece between its legs. I still have it along with 6 RG custom and oddball models(RG620BM-SOL anyone?). I had to buy a Tele and a Strat before they would let me move into Nashville. I do love that Wizard neck though.
post #101 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 04:19 PM

I am not impressed with PRS either. What is point of 30 sec sustain of single note? (5 minute song = 10 notes?!) I like natural decay of guitar, (otherwise I would play keyboard). I prefer way that JEMS respond to fast played notes. PRS is different guitar, not better. JEM is better!
post #102 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 05:02 PM

I sold my PRS 22 standard to buy a S prestige.

I love PRSs, but even their Wide Thin neck isn't even as close to being as fast as the wizard.

I went from being a Gibson user, to a Ibanez to a PRS to back to Ibanez again. As far as my "main ax" goes.

And the PRS trem is great. But try doing exaggerated dive-bombs on it without it going out of tune. If the PRS is a trem model, it's just as "difficult" to tune as a floyd.
post #103 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 05:44 PM

I say get both! I have both Ibanezes and a PRS.
post #104 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 11:03 AM

Reviews: 1

I bought this HB II PRS, fully believing it was the 'Cats Meow' and that I would be finished on the Holy Grail Quest. ( c'mon- it was $5K)

It soon became apparent that although it looked great and sounded good alone, it never cut through the band. It lasted about 3 months.....
Still searching....

-jemaholic
post #105 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:49 AM

SWEET!

Regards

André

Tags
alex lifeson , beautiful guitar , brian moore , bridge pickup , crystal planet , custom guitar , custom shop , deluxe strat , duncan pickups , ebony fretboard , ernie ball , fender strat , fender strats , fixed bridge , fretboard wood , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , guitar shop , hamer standard , hardtail jem , hollow body , ibanez collection , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem dbk , jem neck , jem pickups , johnny hiland , kramer pacer , les paul , les paul custom , locking tuners , monkey grip , neck pickup , parker fly , pearloid pickguard , peavey classic , prs guitar , prs guitars , rosewood neck , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , signature guitar , sounding guitar , steve morse , strat sound , string acoustic , string tension , swirled jem , trem block , trem guitar , tung oil , van halen , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode