Lion Claw question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Lion Claw question

Does the Lion Claw rout-out for the Edge trem on the JEM allow for any more pulling up on the bar than any other RG (or Prestige =)? Or is the Lion Claw routing mainly for "cosmetic" purposes.. and really isn't more functional than the standard Ibanez trem routing?

THanks
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
strictly cosmetic... glen
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Vendor

Not true, the claw does add a little extra depth to the rout and allows the string lock bolts on an Edge depper travel for a little more range.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

You can get the same travel w/ proper setup. Nevermind edge systems are now over a decade old in JEMs.

it's purely cosmetic. ...glen
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Vendor

In the exact same setup the Jem will have further travel, let's stick to facts
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:00 PM
site founder 0% owner

nope. they both bottom out in the rear routing by the block. obvious stuff... glen
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Vendor

I'm not getting into an arguing match with somebody that obviously doesn't have a clue.

You can always increase the neck angle on any model to get the extended range, but a Jem with much shallower neck angle will have a greater pullup range. In normal setup it's the shelf under the trem that will stop travel and not the rout [or the block]
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I tested my other axes.. and pulling up an open G string.. I can pull up to around "C" (5th fret)... and maybe a touch more on my Jackson DK2 and my BC Rich ST3.. I would ASSUME the Edge on a reg RG would pull up at least as far as "C" on that case... can the JEM get much farther? If so, then I guess the Lion Claw does pull up more.

Thanks
Pete
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 PM
site founder 0% owner

The jem/rg will do the same when setup properly. no more as they'll fret out then break a string if the trem doesn't bottom as i already stated.

Quote:
I'm not getting into an arguing match with somebody that obviously doesn't have a clue.

You can always increase the neck angle on any model to get the extended range, but a Jem with much shallower neck angle will have a greater pullup range. In normal setup it's the shelf under the trem that will stop travel and not the rout [or the block]
...glen
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Vendor

On a regular RG you won't get a 5th without a neck shim. [or on nearly every other Ibanez from the factory]
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Actually I'm getting a 4th on my Jackson and BC RIch.. a 5th would be "D" and that would be the 7th fret... WOW!!! Can you get that with an Ibanez?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:06 PM

Rich, on both my RG's I can get a fourth (5th fret C) with proper setup, and MORE. No shim and my 550 goes to D (6th fret) quite easily.

My 520's trem sit's slightly lower with the action I like but will still give me about a 'sharp' D flat.

I prefer a perfect fourth, so I actually have a stopper in the trem cavities (plus I go a little nuts sometimes and with that kind of pull-up I'd break strings much quicker.)

I set my Edges up properly, no forward tilt, there are no shims under either neck (the 520 has the neck pocket angled so no shim is needed as I've seen on many other Ibanez). The 550, using the seam where the fret board meets the neck actually looks like the neck is lined up parallel with the top of the body, but a little higher than on my 520.

Now, having only set up one Jem, and never owning one, I can't say if the Jem has more or less, but the RG's rout does give quite a bit of room, judging by the two I own, if they are indicative of the others, I'd say a 5th can be done on most of them. Mine just happen to not need a shim (well, the 520 would, but not a large one) to get that kind of pull up. :-)

Mic
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:08 PM

Oh, I guess I should add that my action is at about 3 mm at the moment, so it's a little higher than some may have it set up and could account for some of the extra pull up I'm getting. :-)

Mic
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Vendor

With a million guitarsa out there you will find ones that don't need a shim, but it's not typical, and it does depend on how low the action is set to begin with. I think the block hits in the spring rout right around 7 steps, usually right about where the strings and dying on the frets anyway [again, depening on the height of the action to begin with]
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
Oh, I guess I should add that my action is at about 3 mm at the moment, so it's a little higher than some may have it set up and could account for some of the extra pull up I'm getting. :-)

Mic
That extra mm is at least 1 step and probably more

Tags
edge trem , fret board , ibanez trem , monkey grip , neck angle , neck shim , string lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode