LNG owners! - [same questions, different guitar!] - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

LNG owners! - [same questions, different guitar!]

inspired by WMerkert's DNA questions thread, I wondered the same things about owners of LNGs...

so...

1. do you play (gigging) or do you only stare at it? (If you gig what are your experiences?)
2. would you buy another LNG if you could?
3. would you sell your LNG, or is it a keeper?

I realise LNGs aren't as prestige or as top-quality as the DNAs, but to me they're the holy grail. it's where it all began, after all... (not counting the pre-ibanez despagni guitars of course...)

in the interest of fairness, my answers are:

1. I haven't gigged mine (#407) yet as I'm not currently in a gigging situation, but I definitely will.
2. no. I wanted one for ten years, and now I have it, but I only wanted the one! I'd buy more JEMs, for sure, but not another LNG unless the money was silly.
3. keeper, no question. it's my pride and joy.

so how about the other 776 of you?

cheers,
--clive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 12:19 PM

LNG owners!

Hi Clive,

In my own little tiny mind, I too consider the perfect LNG to be my own personal holy grail.
When they first came out, I was 23-24, and couldn't afford one. I lived and died by my trusty duo of a 78 LP Black Beauty Custom, and my main gigging guitar (at the time) a Charvel Model 4.

A couple years ago I placed a WTB ad here looking for the mint-est of mint LNG. It HAD to have the handrest, it HAD to be as perfect as possible, and it HAD to have the matching case. I ended up getting an e-mail from some guy on the East coast who had inventory from his now defunct ma & pa music store. Among that inventory was an unowned LNG #236. For the record, I DID check with Rich, but I think if I remember right, both mint LNG's he had were spoken for and his prices were a bit higher than what I wanted to pay. *So in respose to your questions:

1) I don't gig at all but I do play it on occasion. It's still near perfection, but the plastic is starting to peel at the corners of the pickguard...

2) I doubt I would buy another, I have a DSY that I use as my main player now.

3) ONLY if I had to. I just ran into some financial difficulty and ended up e-baying my 7 mo. old Taylor
* *410ce. Once the tax check is in, and my refinance deal on my house is done, I'll own another 410ce *a 414ce.

John W
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2002, 04:33 PM

LNG owners!

1) I do not gig with my LNG (#160) *It's not faded at all and is just about dead mint, with only the most minor of wear on the neckplate. *I'd worry too much about the signature and little heiroglyph wearing off. * *I do play it once in awhile at home though. *Killer axe!

2) I had always wanted a nice LNG-I mean, it's THE original Ibanez JEM! *Plus, I like the color scheme. *Totally 80's! *I would purchase another one, if it was at the same price and in the same condition as mine (I got a great deal!).

3) For me, the LNG doesn't quite rank up there with the DNA or any of my other swirls. *But, it's close. *I'd only sell it if A) the price was right or B) I absolutely HAD to sell it.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 05:21 PM

Re: LNG owners! - [same questions, different guitar!]

I have one purchased in players condition. I play it at select gigs and rehersals. But much like my master class Breedlove, I don't drag it everywhere.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 05:58 PM

1. Both, I play (in my house, not a gigging musician) and stare at #6
2. Probably wouldn't buy another, one is enough and there are other things I want
3. I would be very very hesitant to sell her, she is fantastic and I consider her almost a piece of history.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 AM

1. NO, my #366 is in new condition and that's how it will remain. I do play it from time to time, but I have 5 other Jems at my disposal.
2. I would love to find one beat all to hell and back, so I could play the hell out of it.
3. I'll sell her if I need the money to feed my family, but that would be the only reason.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 AM

Re: LNG owners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john w View Post
Hi Clive,

In my own little tiny mind, I too consider the perfect LNG to be my own personal holy grail.
When they first came out, I was 23-24, and couldn't afford one. I lived and died by my trusty duo of a 78 LP Black Beauty Custom, and my main gigging guitar (at the time) a Charvel Model 4.
I'd love to own a real LNG but I'd settle for a replica that I would feel more comfortable about gigging out with.

I still have my Model 4 I bought new around '88 when I was like 16. It's a heavy damn guitar. I hope to add new electronics to set off the new paint and new hardware while enjoying the fret level it had recently - it looks new now except for the yellowing of the back of the neck.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 AM

5 year old thread
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Wholy ressurection Batman!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 12:53 PM

Reviews: 10

1)I play and gig my LNG (got to show it off. what good does it do me in a HSC for life...??? )

2) one is enough I usually don't like two of the same (unless it was a JMP )

3)I would sell God forbid only in hardship!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 PM

I play mine but not a ton. It's not mint but pretty good shape. It's a low serial number and the signature's intact. I wish there was a reissue 'cuz I would love a mint one. I love fluorescent green.

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 07:22 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 10:17 PM

Guitars are definitely for gigging with - they need attention and love, otherwise they wither and die on the vine......... (okay, it's a DNA, not an LNG, but you get the idea...)

and, yes, I always look that confused when I'm playing.....)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 11:14 PM

Dave Slash wants his hat back. Hee Hee.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 PM

He ain't gettin' it, paid good money for it, and besides..... a hairdresser in Paris once told me I have, er, a flat head.........

(Actually I think Slash DID get a Top Hat stolen in Australia!)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 PM

That's a good way to get repeat customers. Rip on how flat someones head is. Play that guitar all night long.

Tags
charvel model , fret level , ibanez jem , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode