LO TRS II - It never stays in tune.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

LO TRS II - It never stays in tune....

I have a LO TRS II Bridge on my 555 and I can never get the damn thing to stay in tune.... I make sure it's parallel with the body and I have the intonation correctly adjusted (with the 12 fret harmonic) and every time I dip the bar, It goes out of tune, but if I lightly pull it back, it'll go back in tune. I can NOT fix this...

Any Advice???

Thanks,
MarkY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 01:02 PM

LO TRS II

MarkY... first off, I don't know if this is the right forum for this but anyway...

The Lo TRS II (just TRS for short) has this inherent problem... as do all floyd trems but in varying degrees of severity. The Lo-Pro in my experience has the best tuning stability. It you look at it with a digital tuner, you will see that it does go out of tune just a very small bit (about a cent or two max) which is almost totally unnoticeable to the normal Joe. You would still be able to strum a chord and have the strings "match". But with the TRS, the tuning problems are more severe. The pitch changes string to string are quite severe. I had an RG with the TRS as well and I had a very tough time working on it.... got rid of it as soon as I got my first Jem.

A few things to check on your TRS would be the knife-edge which wears out ever so quickly because of the quality of metal used. And the other thing would be the trem posts... the inserts. They wear out real quickly as well... never adjust the trem with the strings on for a TRS fitted guitar.. the knife edge and the posts will strip each other out immediately. The main culprit of your tuning problems IMHO is the fact that the TRS does on not set screws for the posts/inserts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 05:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
LO TRS II

does the edge studs fit into a TRS/TRSII body mount? If so that is the first thing i would do with a TRS.

The second thing would be remove the TRS and get it routed to accept an Edge.

The third thing (since you asked is to sell the axe and buy a japanese model... glen
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 01:47 AM

LO TRS II

The topic of routing a trs 2 guitar to accomodate an edge/lo pro has come up alot. * * *I think a few people here have done it. *It might be handy to get some pictures and step-by-step instructions and put it at least in the FAQ area if not on the site. * * *

-But of course while emphasizing that it would be easier to just buy an edge-equipped guitar to begin with. *

Just a suggestion...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 04:39 PM

LO TRS II

I'd had the same problem with my rg450. I tried every tip I could find on the board without any luck. Finally out of desperation I sprayed wd40 on the posts and it has been much more stable ever since. (still saving for the UV though) *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:01 PM

LO TRS II

I used to have a problem like this on my JEM wannabe guitar (Washburn Falcon with Edge tremolo). The G string dropped when I dipped the bar and came back in tune when I pulled it.

I found the problem to be located in the nut. I filed and sanded the it a little and the problem disapppeared.

BÝrge

Tags
edge trem , equipped guitar , floyd trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode