Locking Nut Replacement - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Locking Nut Replacement

My three JEMS (2 Floral and one White) all stay in tune quite well as I have put schaller locking tuners on them - - I really hate those micro tuners on the Floyd Rose as they're not fast enough when playing on stage and just too damn fidely.
I would like to ditch the entire metal nut and replace with something else which is more like a normal nut and would like some suggestions if possible. I tried a regular bone nut but no where near wide enough. What I do now is just cover the nut with a wide rubber band which looks ok but really need a more elegant solution.
Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 06:33 AM

No offense but I don't understand why you'd want to do that to your Jems. The micro tuners are right there next to your hand so I don't see how they can be a problem. They should make things faster especially if your guitar is properly set up whhhhhich leads me to my next thought. There must be something wrong with your set up if your having these kind of issues, or having to replace the stock tuners????
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 08:09 AM

Try this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 08:23 AM

My sentements exactly, why would you want to do it? The tuners are perfectly fine, and quite alot of the time are high-quality tuners. You should have no problems with them keeping tune. Like Scott said, your axes cant be setup very well, or else you wouldnt be having these problems.

I really would not replace the tuners with locking ones, and then replace the locking nut. If anything that will make is worse surely? Keep the locking nut, keep the tuners, and maybe think about having it setup properly. Make sure everything is locked-up nicely and not loose etc.

Gary - The.Godfather
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 AM

Maybe you just need to look into buying a fixed bridge RG???
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your comments and especially Darren Wilson for directing me to Allparts : - )
My guitars are perfectly set up (I've been playing rock for 30 years!) it's just that I play in a lot of bars in Hong Kong where you walk out of 100 degrees heat into freezing air cond pubs. I find that even after stretching the strings and settling them for a day or so, the top E and B still move around quite a bit,even after aclimating to the cold air con. The fine tuners take ages to twiddle around to get the string in tune and then, half the time, I run of room to twiddle! Then, it's out wit the allen key, unlock, re-tune and re-lock. I also play a 52 tele and 'V' neck American Strat with trem and they're both fine because any tuning is done on the run and very quickly (no bolts to worry about) - - I don't even think abaout it. I just love my Jems - - they're like my three children so want to use them as much as possible. Maybe the tremolo springs take time to settle in? I have noticed that the angle of the bridge of my JEM7VWH (very new) has increased by a few mm so maybe that's the problem or maybe it just takes time to get used to micro tuners.
Thanks again all of you - I'll order the ferro nut that Darren Wilson pointed me to and see how it goes (I'll experiment on an old Jackson).
Steve

Tags
darren wilson , fixed bridge , floyd rose , locking nut , locking tuners , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode