Look what I found...! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Talking Look what I found...!

After being on this site for many years and never thought of owning a Jem, I am now a proud owner of an '89 JEM777VBK (since I didn't win a JEM7VBK on the last contest :P). Scored it from a guy who lives < 5 miles (@ 8km)from me on friday. We met up half-way on thursday so I could check out the axe in person... the minute he took it out of the non-original case, I was just awed by the vibe it gave. Its black/green scheme will always remind me of Trey Azagthoth's UV (and yes, I've seen it up close many many years ago). The minute I felt the neck, i knew it was different from any VWH i've ever touched or played... sure they're solid guitars but it didn't quite "speak" to me, this 777VBK did!
What I scored was definitely a player's guitar; body's pretty beaten and banged up with dings on the front, paint chips on the side have been touched-up, neck cracked at scarf joint, and hairline cracks on neck pocket. Whoever the original owner was must've really liked the neck to repair the damages so it can still be both functional and playable axe after all the abuse. It had a hipshot tremsetter installed as some wood was chuck'd out to accomodate the device (the set-screw for the studs were NEVER locked!). I told the seller to take it off and give it to me as is; with 2 springs and no trem claw. They had to be replaced anyhow as they were the original springs! Suprisingly, one of my friend's kept his trem claw and had extra springs from his S2020X after installing a hipshot tremsetter on his guitar. The cosmo finish on most of the parts has worned as I assume the original owner played/sweated all over the bridge and tuning heads. To sum it up, the guitar is a character that tells a story but called for a major clean-up from the inside out! And trust me, it must've came from a dusty house cause there was big ball of lint inside the pick-up cavity (how the ?!#%?!)
As for how much? well, I paid the guy little more than half of what he was asking. He was cool enough to give the guitar to me on the condition I pay the balance within a month. Got an Evo at GC today to replace the stock Paf Pro bridge and got a black Cliplock as well. It's missing a block-lock for the sustain block but it still works; i'm just not used to seeing an edge/lo-pro without one. Otherwise, it plays like a dream after sanding the neck fractures, filling dings, polishing and doing a successful setup in standard C I don't think i'll be buying anymore guitars for a while.
Here's a preview... i'll post more when the weather looks better.

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 01-24-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 AM

Re: Look what I found...!

cool guitar..very nice
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Congrats to your first jem, enjoy it!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

finally stopped raining out here... here are the pix and they're not 56k friendly
i'll post pix of the spring cavity eventually. Enjoy!

I think the dings were created by a pick being slammed into the body while doing whammy bar tricks

the black finish hides the dings very well...

this is why I don't rest my palm on the bridge...

I guess gorilla glue goes a long way...

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 01-22-2008 at 01:03 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM

yeah ! very nice ! could be my first Jem !
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Reviews: 3

By far my favourite of the Jems, nice score!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the comments guys! Jemsite ranks this as one of the least desirable Jem's but its simplistic yet in-your-face attitude gives it an understated look but its playability has surpassed my expectations despite the damages this axe has! Plus I'm a sucker for green things :P
Any suggestions for a name? I'm leaning towards Ivy... as in poison ivy
Here are more pix:

Added trem claw from an S2020X and replaced two outer springs with high-tension springs. Also filled and cover the hole channeled between the trem claw screws with basswood "putty" and model-sized planks. Ground wire was unsoldered when it was given to me but it was an easy fix when I got the trem claw.

And of course, it's a real JEM If this was your guitar at one point, please share its history!

Last edited by reguv760; 01-22-2008 at 02:21 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Glad you're happy with it and cool that it plays well! I like VBKs. Nicely understated Jems

I can't believe the way some people treat their guitars!! Especially high end axes such as Jems But hey, could be a lot worse Almost appears as if somebody threw handfuls of gravel at it, or maybe it was left out in a sand storm, lol.

The neck looks a bit dry. It screams for some "Bore Doctor" It'll likey soak up half a bottle

Rock on!!! As long as it plays well, that is the most important thing!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Is the finish actually pitted or is that just dust?..black shows everything. Congrats nothing like a first Jem!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 PM

Nice! That's probably one of my favorite JEMs!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Wink Re: Look what I found...!

good foryou, now just take it from the case and give it the thrashing it deserves!!!!!

It will not be your last..........
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 PM

Reviews: 5

You wouldn't have happened to purchase your '89 JEM777VBK from a guy named Sam?

That looks hot - I got a UV7BK cuz I too love the green/black color contrasts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM

I've always liked those, I want one! How much did you pay?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
By far my favourite of the Jems, nice score!
Definately can't go wrong with black and green, my favorite jem aswell, and again nice score!

Last edited by brothersnowgone; 01-22-2008 at 07:35 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 PM

nice one. congratz.

Tags
claw screws , hipshot tremsetter , paf pro , scarf joint , spring cavity , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode