Looking for a 7 String Ibby - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leviathus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Looking for a 7 String Ibby

Hi, I'm looking for a 7 string Ibby that(in order of importnace to me):
1. Doesn't break strings often(as little as possible)
2. Has decent fretwork
3. Isn't black(not a deal breaker)
4. Preferably up to 800$ but it's not urgent I have this instrument so I can and will save if I can get something 1000 times better. That being said I actually like alot of options I;ve seen below that even. The main thing stoping me from pulling the trigger is inexperience with the bridges Ibanez has.

Bridges have been the bane of my existance on a my previous guitars. The Ibby I have with a Floyd does not get played because of the Floyd, the Strat clone I have used to break high e strings so easily, had to mess with it beyond beleif. Neither are my jam.

I've noticed that the gibraltor bridge has multiple holes to put less tension on the higher strings and figured that that's why I don't see any people complaining abput strings breaking on them. A guitar with that seems like my ideal pick.

What bridge do you guys think would be best for avoiding string breakage(that's my main concern) if not the Gibraltor?

Also is there a huge disparity in fretwork when going up in price?

Currently I'm eyeing:

RG7321FM(any of the 7321 models but this one looks nice!), RGIX6FDLB, RGMS7BK(I've heard mixed things about this one:/), RGA742FM(bridge style is concerning)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 03:04 AM

Re: Looking for a 7 String Ibby

When a bridge is causing a string to break, that string will consistently break at the same spot where the string meets the saddle and it usually does not take very long for the string to break. Saddles can be smoothed out or replaced but can only be diagnosed on a case by case basis, but it is a solvable problem. As such, I can not identify any Ibanez bridge that inherently breaks guitar strings more or less than any other bridge. It is true that the high E string does carry the most tension and is the thinnest string and the most prone to breaking, but it takes time. A sharp spot on a saddle will break a new string while you are tuning up or shortly thereafter.

For $800, I would recommend going the used route and looking at MIJ 7 strings with hardtail bridges:
https://reverb.com/item/27389476-iba...dge-1999-black
https://reverb.com/item/30810470-iba...lectric-guitar

These are just two examples I could find on Reverb. There are others. I'm also assuming you do not want a tremolo. If that is not the case, your options open up considerably. The tremolo you want is the Lo-Pro Edge 7.

As for the guitar you mentioned, the RGA742FM and RGMS7BK are the only 2 still in production according to Sweetwater. Take that for what it is worth. I have not played the RGA, but I would not worry about the bridge. I have played the RGMS7BK and it would be wise to play one before buying one. By Ibanez's standards, this guitar was rather difficult to play. I'm not sure why but I imagine a good setup would be a substantial improvement.

In my experience, the fretwork on MIJ Ibanez guitars is better than MII guitars of the type you are considering.

I hope that helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

I don't want a trem. I didn't realize I could get a MIJ for that little cash! Thanks for the info. Also, regarding the Lo-Pro, is it easier to adjust things like intonation than a normal floyd?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:25 AM

I do not know if the Lo-Pro Edge is any easier to adjust than a normal Floyd Rose, but both are harder to adjust than a fixed bridge. Within the realm of Ibanez 7-string tremolos, the primary advantage of the Lo-Pro Edge 7 over other Ibanez 7 string tremolos is the tuning stability.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 01:49 AM

Just to add... If you're a string breaker, you're gonna break strings. It is what it is. I wouldn't worry too much about the bridge breaking the strings, though it can be the problem in some cases. I find with trem'd guitars (EDIT: or even guitars in general) strings often break on (or near) the saddle because it's the most stressed part of the string, esp if you're bangin' on the bar.
Leviathus is online  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Just to add... If you're a string breaker, you're gonna break strings. It is what it is. I wouldn't worry too much about the bridge breaking the strings, though it can be the problem in some cases. I find with trem'd guitars (EDIT: or even guitars in general) strings often break on (or near) the saddle because it's the most stressed part of the string, esp if you're bangin' on the bar.
True.

Tags
7 string , buying , help choosing ibanez , purchasing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode