Looking for fat neck humbucker for 24 fret super strat - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Looking for fat neck humbucker for 24 fret super strat

Last time I asked about what bridge pickup to go for and finally found a perfect one. Thanks again for recommendations, ideas and comments!

I'm definitely set on Perpetual Burn(bridge) and SSL1 rwrp (middle) but I haven't yet found a perfect neck pickup. The guitar is very bright and punchy basswood bodied PGM301 with stop tail bridge, bolt-on maple neck with maple fretboard and 24 frets. The guitar is so bright acoustically that it made most neck pickups sound like a strat, even though wired as a standard humbucker. The pickup placement appears to be the reason but I'm pretty positive that there is a perfect pickup for this application.

List of neck pickups I've tried:
-Paf Pro
Too mushy and undefined when playing fast solos. Nice cleans and split tones

-Humbucker From Hell
Very focused sound, too bright for my taste

-Paf Joe
Bright and spanky but too bright, nice split tones

Sounded very bland and low power with this guitar. Didn't like the split tones

-Liquifire
Too smooth and compressed for me. Cleans have natural compression which I don't like

-Air Norton
This is what's in currently. Still a bit stratty and twangy but I can just about live with it. Has nice sustain when soloing and notes get nice harmonic feedback. Full clean sound and super nice slit tone.

So, I'm looking for a darker pickup than AN, which is just a bit too bright. The ones I'm looking for are P-Rails, A2P, Breed neck and Air Zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Anyone? No?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Re: Looking for fat neck humbucker for 24 fret super strat

I'm a big fan of 24 fret strat,in the market you can buy used fender HM strat or charvel guthrie govan model. so i decide build body form one piece Mahogany. Neck was order from Musikraft Charvel style 24 fret neck Compound 12 to 16.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 06:42 PM

Reviews: 21

If you're going Dimarzio I'd suggest the Gravity Storm or Breed neck pickups. I'm not a fan of the former but it is meatier. I have a Breed neck in my RG1570 and it's a bit heavier than the PAF Pro I usually go with. You might like it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 10:07 AM

I'd probably also suggest the Breed neck. I also feel that for all things considered "too bright", there is the tone knob.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I spent some time tweaking Air Norton. Tried swapping it other way around (screw coil towards bridge) which made it less stratty and felt like it had a bit more output. It had somewhat similar vibe to Liquifire with more natural compression and not-so-good split tone when used with middle single. I tried swapping the pot into 250k and while it made the pups feel more balanced the AN still had too much high end. So, I took it out and let the pickup swapping begin, yet again..

After educating myself for last couple months and after taking all things I've found out to consideration, I really like Alnico II neck pickups over anything else. I wired the A2P neck into neck slot of my PGM and was instantly blown away. It has darker natural tone and feels like LP neck pickup. It had a little more output than AN so it's great to shred on and is more fluid overall. I'm gonna try out A2P bridge model and P-Rail and make the decision afterwards.

Thanks for your replys and help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode