Loosen the Strings for Long Term Storage? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Loosen the Strings for Long Term Storage?

Guys, I'm moving to Amsterdam this summer and will have to place five of my guitars into long term climate controlled storage while I'm there. I'm only taking along my 87 RG550 and my 94 UV7BK. My other JEMs and Soloists go into their cases and take a long slumber in storage.

Any opinions on long term storage in regards to the neck? I typically don't loosen the strings to remove neck tension. However these guitars will be in storage for over five years so perhaps loosening the tension will help prevent any possible neck warping?

Any thoughts or experience on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 AM

Re: Loosen the Strings for Long Term Storage?

Loosening the string tension is good when shipping a guitar.
But I wouldnt do it for storage. I mean, what's the difference between the guitar sitting on a stand for 5 years in your house vs a guitar sitting in climate controlled storage?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 07:05 AM

I would take off strings and throw them to bin, take off tremolo out of body,if they have it, then make shure that tremolo,if it stays in case with guitar, can not move and damage guitar.

If it is possible I would put guitar cases with guitar face down.

Later when you want to use those guitars, after you put back strings and tremolo, you should tune them and leave them for at least a day to settle,after that you will need setup off neck curve, (with some time without string tension, neck will be probably be slightly straighter), and you will probably need to setup tremolo angle.

String tension compresses neck wood, so if you can relieve that stress on neck for some time, why not.

Last edited by peromucho7; 03-30-2014 at 07:34 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:04 AM

If you're going to loosen the string for a long time, you'll need to loosen the truss rod too.
You'll want to make the neck perfectly flat with no tension on it for long periods of time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
If you're going to loosen the string for a long time, you'll need to loosen the truss rod too.
You'll want to make the neck perfectly flat with no tension on it for long periods of time.
It depends does guitar has one-way or two-way truss rod. Ibanez is usually using two-way truss rod, meaning if you relieve it too much you will give neck tension on the other side. I would not loosen truss rod, just leave it in original position, an set it up later.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 04:54 PM

Greetings to a fellow Okie! I can watch over them for you, just drop them off Downtown! Just kidding.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Stratman View Post
Guys, I'm moving to Amsterdam this summer and will have to place five of my guitars into long term climate controlled storage while I'm there. I'm only taking along my 87 RG550 and my 94 UV7BK. My other JEMs and Soloists go into their cases and take a long slumber in storage.

Any opinions on long term storage in regards to the neck? I typically don't loosen the strings to remove neck tension. However these guitars will be in storage for over five years so perhaps loosening the tension will help prevent any possible neck warping?

Any thoughts or experience on this?
try light gauge strings-maybe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode