Love That Satch Tone! - not too hot on the axe :( - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Love That Satch Tone! - not too hot on the axe :(

I was wondering, Ive been a Satch fan for only about five years and love his tones, but still after all this time Im not to pushed on his model guitars,

Im a jem and Universe guy. I use the higher frets a good bit and to me the neck feels too big I just cant get used to it.

would I be able to attain the same tones in say my 7D using the satriani wiring with paf pro and fred, or does the guitars construction really affect the tones???

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 07:01 PM

Reviews: 3
Love That Satch Tone!

Satch's "tone" is more based around processing than amp tone and guitar tone. *So I think that the type of guitar, so long as it has pretty hot humbuckers, will not change the overall sound much... as all that is lost after going through the 500 different effect pedals/racks.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Love That Satch Tone!

Oh,

I thought the guitar would have had a more integral part, mmmmmmm

Is his rack really that extensive?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 03:37 PM

Love That Satch Tone!

I thought Satch's tone is basically his JS-2 into a Japanese-made Boss DS-1 into a Marshall. *As far as I understand it, his rack is not that extensive. *There was article about his gear in an issue of Guitar Shop a couple years back. *I'll see if I can dig it up later, although I'm sure Rich knows the answer to this off the top of his head. *Alas, he seems to have forsaken this thread. *Why, oh, why, Rich!?! :idunno:

:laugh:

J
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 03:49 PM
Vendor

Love That Satch Tone!

When Jay starts off like that I figure he was itchin for a fight, so I wasn't giving him the satisfaction Satch's live rig is as small as it gets, plenty of info and specifics on satriani.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Love That Satch Tone!

sheesh make me go look for it why dont ya, :sarcasm:

I was hopin it would come to me!!

Steve
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:25 PM

Love That Satch Tone!

Is that a bass whammy I see on his pedalboard with the Chorus pedal on it?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Love That Satch Tone!

I use a bass whammy from time to time!!!!

I just assumed I was mad in the head :loco:

but I guess Im not the only one :thumbsup:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 07:55 AM

Love That Satch Tone!

Some rig info here too:-

http://members.tripod.com/~satch9/in...fects.html#amp

Steve
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 09:11 AM

Reviews: 3
Love That Satch Tone!

JUST TO MAKE RICH HAPPY
Satch's live rig is fairly small... it is essentially guitar, whammy, wah, ds1, octave, delay, marshall. *There is other stuff, as you've seen from that link, but that is the heart of it.

Satch's studio tone however, is an ENTIRELY different can of worms. *Check out some of the interviews for EOC... or any album where his full studio rig is detailed.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 11:26 AM

Love That Satch Tone!

Which is strange, as I actually prefer his live sound, more raw if you like.

Steve
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 05:16 PM

Love That Satch Tone!

In the latest "Guitar One", Satch comments that he always mixes things up in the studio for sake of creating something unique or wierd. When it comes time to hit the road, he uses the same setup since it allows him "the sound enough to cover the ground of all those different songs."
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Love That Satch Tone!

cheers man!

I just love those tones!! Im really getting into the whole crystal planet thing.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 06:51 AM

Love That Satch Tone!

About Satch's rig there is some pretty good info under http://www.guitargods.com/GuitarGods...ni/satgear.htm

(www.guitargods.com is a pretty good site overall)

Satch says himself that his rig is pretty much "guitar-few pedals-marshall amp" wich he calls a 'an extremely "lo-fi" setup'...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:54 PM

Love That Satch Tone!

From what i've heard and read Joe uses a small setup. *I know that you do NOT need thousands and thousands of dollars to get his sound. *It does not require a room full of processors and preamp stuff. *If any of you have heard of Matt King, he plays just like Satch, but I think he uses a Fender amp, and still sounds very much like Joe. *Plus there's the touch that joe has that nobody has.

Tags
amp tone , chorus pedal , crystal planet , guitar shop , marshall amp , paf pro , steve lukather , tom morello

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode