Low quality Jem Swirl bodies on E*** - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Low quality Jem Swirl bodies on E***

Have a look at 150208532067. I recently bought on similar, it is swirl painted but basically not sanded adequately before being dipped, plus the routing is crude, with plenty of wood tear out.

The dimensions are ok, but despite being painted they are no way well enough finnished to move to clear coat. Not rogue, but also not quality........

ok if you want to take them back to the wood, and re-finnish, but if that's the case why pay over the odds, which is what these folks are asking....

Best avoided!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Re: Low quality Jem Swirl bodies on E***

I bought a DNA swirl from Nate Perle and i think it's awesome. A very organic style of swirling reminiscent of ATD.

Offcourse, you can't argue taste and it does have couple of runs. As always, you've got to see a swirl in person.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM

I like the colour of the swirls but if the quality isn't there, it isn't there. That oreo swirl that I bought off of ohioplayer was terrible. The lion's claw was too tight so the trem kept sticking in it, the neck pocket depth wasn't right so getting anything but high action was impossible, there was clearcoat blotches on the front. I believe the guy's name was boizanova that swirled it.

A shame really because the swirl itself was actually very very good! Just let down by a terrible body and bad clearcoating.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

If you look closely at the photo, you can see the lions claw does not meet in an crisp edge between each grove. This will stick with the trem in situ, as effectively the grooves are too narrow.

The answer sadly is to get the tools out and either sand it, or carefully pear it down with a very sharp chisle to a fine edge. Either way that's the swirl gone, may as well just take the whole thing back to the wood and start again!

Don't buy one of these unless you like woodwork!!!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Also, looks like there may be some tear out from the drill on the neck screws.....

All joking aside, the real issue with these bodies is how they will behave once placed on the instrument. The joints on the bodies look imperfect, my geuss would be that given a bit of rock and roll they'll split like balsa.

Beter to go to a lutier who sells bodies made from real wood! For the extra $150, it seems a sensible investment to me.

PS if anyone would like to buy my **** swirled body, it would look good on an open fire, and save you at least £3 on you heating bills.....
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 PM

Thanks for advice, from time to time i thought about auctioning such a body, fortunately i didn't.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 AM

there is a heck of a lot of paint runs in that Nate Perle body.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 AM

how think is the paint where the runs are? does anyone else have one of these bodies? ive seen some of his swirls that i like but im not a big fan of this one TBH. but like you said some dont photo well in person they can look far more vibrant. HAGO
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:14 AM

I have one of these that has been clearcoated and it does look nice. The problems are that the routing is not all that good and none of the holes for wiring have been drilled. I needed to do a little routing for the bridge to work correctly and drill holes for all pickup wires and the claw grounding wire. Otherwise, they seem decent. For the money, you get what you pay for.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have one of these that has been clearcoated and it does look nice. The problems are that the routing is not all that good and none of the holes for wiring have been drilled. I needed to do a little routing for the bridge to work correctly and drill holes for all pickup wires and the claw grounding wire. Otherwise, they seem decent. For the money, you get what you pay for.
Thats why I held back from buying one. I love the swirling. He is getting better and better. My issue is how well is the routing on the body. Granted theres always going to be issues with putting a custom guitar together. With my Herc swirl I had very little issues. The neck pocket wasn't wide enough and where the pickups go that area needed to routed a little deeper and that was it.

However the swirling is getting better

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac in my eye View Post
Thats why I held back from buying one. I love the swirling. He is getting better and better. My issue is how well is the routing on the body. Granted theres always going to be issues with putting a custom guitar together. With my Herc swirl I had very little issues. The neck pocket wasn't wide enough and where the pickups go that area needed to routed a little deeper and that was it.

However the swirling is getting better

the problem with the neck pocket is that the neck heels of the ibanez range differ a fair bit in width depending on where they are made.. JEM necks seem to come up a little narrower in my limited experience and also shallower than the RG's - then RG's differ from factory to factory.....
as you can imagine this leaves the poor old bulder and supplier of custom bodies a little lost unless a customer measures his neck heel with a vernier caliper and sends that measurement to the builder of the custom body.
of couse, you could always get a neck made for the body from the same guy, then it should fit no excuses...
one knowledgable customer of mine owns 30+ ibanez necks and is a professional guitarist, he states that "ibanez neck measurements are all over the place"
for this reason I cut neck pockets (unless asked not to) to the standard 57mm width.

as for the cable routing - that should be drilled, its half a job without the channels and not one that id like to do once its painted if I had the choice.

believe me, neck pocket measurements keep me awake at night - sorry for the hijack....
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM

just waiting on one i shoot off the bay lst week…should look like this [this is the original swirl on the body]…lets see how the neck pocket will work out…

[this isjust a quick mock up…so don#t watch too close…]

the swirl on top looks really good!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
the problem with the neck pocket is that the neck heels of the ibanez range differ a fair bit in width depending on where they are made.. JEM necks seem to come up a little narrower in my limited experience and also shallower than the RG's - then RG's differ from factory to factory.....
as you can imagine this leaves the poor old bulder and supplier of custom bodies a little lost unless a customer measures his neck heel with a vernier caliper and sends that measurement to the builder of the custom body.
of couse, you could always get a neck made for the body from the same guy, then it should fit no excuses...
one knowledgable customer of mine owns 30+ ibanez necks and is a professional guitarist, he states that "ibanez neck measurements are all over the place"
for this reason I cut neck pockets (unless asked not to) to the standard 57mm width.

as for the cable routing - that should be drilled, its half a job without the channels and not one that id like to do once its painted if I had the choice.

believe me, neck pocket measurements keep me awake at night - sorry for the hijack....
Hijack?

Your input is needed the more people know the better. Alot goes into these custom projects.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:18 PM

is that a perle tobias?

i wouldnt want to have to drill anything in a body i paid for let alone a painted one, that would just be asking for trouble with my tic.... waaaahhhh! adsf dak fnml;\baa azr6547679909dgn
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac in my eye View Post
Hijack?

Your input is needed the more people know the better. Alot goes into these custom projects.
thanks man, im not kidding either.. whenever I sell something I really wish that it was possible to know what neck was going to be fitted (if its not one of mine) and what the heel widyh (exactly) is.
that way its truly custom......
check this pic out.. its a 1570 body (from memory) with a JEM neck on it... I can fit a 0.73mm pick into the gap between the neck and the edge of the pocket...
but if I fit the neck from my RG548 - its near perfect....

I suppose what im saying is: I guess most builders do what I do unless they know the exact size of the neck to be fitted... cut it standard.

Tags
chris woods , clear coat , custom guitar , dna swirl , herc swirl , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem neck , neck pockets , neck screws , string necks , swirled body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode