Lowering action on an Ibanez Jem 555 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Lowering action on an Ibanez Jem 555

Before everyone flames me for buying cheap Korean crap, I just couldn't afford the 7s and the 555 were on special, much cheaper than any other Made in Japan RG - I figured with the Evo pups and the sexy looks, it would be a good choice.

So after a long time setting up the trem (took me ages because the guitar had sat in the shops with the same set of strings for like over a year), I got to setting my action. The tech setup section on this website is excellent, kudos to everyone for the effort. After setting the bridge as low as it could go without fret buzz, she still feels a bit high for me. Looking at the tech setup, you recommend a minimum 1.6 mm fret height clearance on the 24 fret. At the moment, mine is about 4.5 mm. My question is can I do anything else to lower the action? Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 AM

Re: Lowering action on an Ibanez Jem 555

do those lo-trs or edge 3 (whatever is on the guitar) have locking studs? i'm doubtful, but if it does, loosen the studs then lower the bridge further. or you might need a neck shim. check the trem angle?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply....

Its equipped (sadly) with an Edge III, which I will replace when I get some more $$$ with something a bit better. I am pretty confident that the trem angle is a ok. I don't think the guitar comes with locking studs unfortunately - how could I tell though, cant find any info on the Ibanez website (surprise there!!!!).

So I guess its a neck shim for me then???? Might be time to go and visit a tech!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 AM

yeah, i'm not experienced in the world of shims, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

maybe something to do with the nut?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Well, that was the other thing I was thinking might be an issue, because the first fret is a bitch to press down. I noticed in the tech section of the website that it was noted this was a regular problem with newer Ibanez guitars (the nut being too high).....

Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePGFan View Post
Cheers for the reply....

Its equipped (sadly) with an Edge III, which I will replace when I get some more $$$ with something a bit better. I am pretty confident that the trem angle is a ok. I don't think the guitar comes with locking studs unfortunately - how could I tell though, cant find any info on the Ibanez website (surprise there!!!!).

So I guess its a neck shim for me then???? Might be time to go and visit a tech!
could be worse could be fitted with a lo-trs.id rather not play guitar than play a guitar with lo-trs fitted, FACT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
could be worse could be fitted with a lo-trs.id rather not play guitar than play a guitar with lo-trs fitted, FACT
I don't usually bag people on here but.......OK Mr Guitar God.

Anyway back to constructive feedback........

If the setup is proving challenging, I would suggest trying a tech. It will be worth the money. Are you in Sydney - if so there is a great Guitar set up place in Annandale. If you would like the name please let me know.

Good luck.

-Wolfram
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post

If the setup is proving challenging, I would suggest trying a tech. It will be worth the money. Are you in Sydney - if so there is a great Guitar set up place in Annandale. If you would like the name please let me know.

Good luck.

-Wolfram
Woflram
Unfortunately, I'm here in little old Adelaide. Realistically, we only have one major guitar tech firm, Fretco, and they are always so busy and not exactly Ibanez guitar experts. Thanks for the heads up though, I think I will take her to a tech, because whilst I'm fairly cluey with trem angle, springs etc, I would not at all be comfortable in playing with the truss rod, nut or taking the neck off.

By the way ibanez777vbk, my first Ibanez was a JS100 and was fitted with a lo trs - lets just say that after a few months vaiesk trem abuse, the knife edges were completely destroyed - those trems were an epic fail from Ibanez. However, I love my guitar playing too much - I'd rather player a Squier than no guitar!!!!!

Cheers
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post

Good luck.

-Wolfram
hey im no guitar god.remember this is a public forum everyone has different opinions.anyways whats wrong with slating lo-trs they are totaly rubbish.i played a 555 for 11 years 99% of the time was spent tuning up.ill say it again id rather not play guitar than play a guitar with a lo-trs trem

Tags
jem 555

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode