Luthite vs. wood - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 09:58 PM

Quote:
The only reason for doing so is so Ibanez could make a chrome satriani model where the chrome would stick and not peel like Joe's guitars are doing.
That's about right. I was at Cort when they were coming up with Luthite. It was a Korean thing, starting with the Ergodyne basses. They tried to sell Fender and others on the idea but only Ibanez picked up on it. They were asking me about it when the first ones were so heavy. They were like lead. I told them to whip more air into the mixture, but then they acted like they knew that already. It does basically sound like nothing. Sort of a Steinberger thing. If someone thinks it sounds better than wood, its because they prefer the sound of the pickups uncolored by the warmth of whatever wood. But we know it isn't a "tone machine" because with hollow chambers, it sounds like a fisher price "my first guitar." It's horrible when hollowed. Solid, though it's truly a transparent sound. But it's just soft enough to lack the extra sharp attack of an ash, walnut, or something with a maple top. So there's something not "clean" about it to me. These are all just opinions, so maybe its the greatest thing in the world, but remember, it came from the same people who brought you ebonite fingerboards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Re: Luthite vs. wood

hi,i have one ibanez edr470ex with luthite body...
What do you think is better for the body pickup??
Patronize Dimarzio Evolution for Neck And Dimarzio x2n good?
What is your suggestion?
Considering the body of the guitar ...
tanks
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 PM

I have frequently ranted about this on other threads. The JS10th is not the same as any wood JS. It has slightly less sustain and a more muted bassier tone. I don't like them so much from a sound perspective. And the JS90th has a different sound from almost any of the other wood ones because of the ebony fretboard. In my opinion it's a bigger difference than the mahogany ones vs basswood.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:57 PM

And I just sold my JS2K Crystal Planet because it sounded and felt even worse to me than a tenth. Guitars need to be wood. I have a JS tenth I like to look at, but when it comes to playing the tenths are my last choice.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Reviews: 6

and we have yet another thread resurrection
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Like Jesus, except I'm more into this one...
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 PM

Are the human ears able to hear such a difference?
Or only can someoen with the "absolut ear" can hear it???
Just a wise question !!!
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Lots of people can hear the difference, some can't. I can hear it.

Tags
basswood guitar , basswood guitars , chrome hardware , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , jim donahue , neck pup , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode