Luthite vs. wood - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Luthite vs. wood

I was wondering how luthite compares tonewise to other woods like basswood or alder. Does it compromise sustain???

I'm really sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else and I'm wasting forum bandwidth but forum search just gave me too many options and I couldn't find an answer.

THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 06:36 PM

I haven't found too much of a difference tonally between my JS10th and any of the JS1000s that I've had. To my ears, the luthite JS10th seems to "breathe" a bit more- it almost seems a bit more Strat-like tonally. Both sound great, and I can get just as much sustain from the luthite as I've been able to get from any basswood model.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Vendor

I actually disagree, I don't think it breathes as well as basswood, it's got a darker tone and just doesn't scream like a 1000 on the Fred, way smoother, not near as much "bite". Sustain, no difference
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 08:08 PM

I find the 10th to have a "muddier" or "bassier" tone to it, especially when the neck pup is on. My Js1000's tone has more edge and bite to it and less muddy tone. It sounds brighter and more strat like. As for sustain, i've got fatfingers on my Js's, so the sustain is pretty much equal.....overall, they give great sustain. If i had to choose, i'd pick basswood over a luthite body.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I actually disagree, I don't think it breathes as well as basswood, it's got a darker tone and just doesn't scream like a 1000 on the Fred, way smoother, not near as much "bite". Sustain, no difference
Hmmm...wacky! Must be my amps.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 PM

I asked Jim Donahue about Luthite once a couple of years ago, and he described it to me as basically a dense slab of solid foam-like material.

He said it had very little natural resonance on its own. Knock on a piece of wood and it goes "thok!" and has a ring to it. Knock on a piece of luthite, and it goes "poonk." and doesn't resonate at all. For this reason, Jim said luthite guitars and basses tend to rely more heavily on their electronics for their tone.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 04:13 AM

"Thok"

"Poonk"

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:53 AM

Those are my words, not Jim's, by the way.

Go tap on a few Ergodyne basses and you'll see what i mean.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 12:40 PM

i actually have no clue what luthite actually is (i know, 10ths are made of it, but i don't know what it's made of)

and i actually do not know, what basswood is, couldn't find it in any dictionary but it think it's linden... is it?

i know my 90th is made of basswood, tho... and i wonder if there's any difference tonewise to a js1000 since it's the same wood and the same pickups... the other hardware doesn't really make too much difference in sound, does it? well, the trem perhaps... a bit? dunno, pls tell me
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 12:51 PM

Basswood is basswood. There should be no difference in tone between the JS90 and the JS1000 (at least, there weren't in the ones I had).

Luthite is more or less a composite material. As for the exact makeup of the composition, I'm really not sure. Some sort of synthetic polymer I'm sure.

In comparing my basswood guitars to the Luthite of the JS10th last night, the luthite STILL sounded more "open" to my ears. However, given the choice, I keep going back to the acrylic JSY2K everytime!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Vendor

The ebony board gives the 90th just slightly more punch
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 02:20 PM

right... gotta love the ebony fingerboard

chrome hardware looks somewhat better but we're discussing sound, i guess

since the 90th is my first js (first ibanez at all :P) i really can't draw a comparison, only played the js100tr once and the js2000cg twice and on different amps so i really cant compare anything.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 07:23 AM

I don't know how this compares to what others think, but I find the js10th to have a nicer tone. On the Fred it screams, and it is wonderfully and creamy with the PAF PRO and in the middle position.

I just find that it suits me better than the JS1000, although I do think that the JS1000 has killer tone as well. It just doesn't get quite as creamy and smooth (to my ears anyhow).

(EDITED to correct crimes against the English language!)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 07:25 PM

js10

I owned a js10 for a while and I can tell you from experience,after a while,the 10th begins to sound like what it is.PLASTIC.Thats all luthite basically is.The only reason for doing so is so Ibanez could make a chrome satriani model where the chrome would stick and not peel like Joe's guitars are doing.Ibanez didnt want the hassle of plating wood obviously ,so they decided to use luthite because chrome readily sticks to it.This is what the retailer told me Ibanez told him about it before I bought the guitar.But, if you want a guitar that sounds like joe's chromes go get your js plated.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 08:43 PM

I had my Js1000 plated and it sounds more like a wood bodied guitar tone.....and not the tone of a luthite Js10th. It is heavy, but i like the tone better on a plated wood body.

Tags
basswood guitar , basswood guitars , chrome hardware , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , jim donahue , neck pup , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode