luxury problem... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

luxury problem...

I have 3 jems and I am addicted...They are the best, but in a few months I want some new toy and the problem is do I have to buy another Jem (BFP, VWH, LNG) , or do I have to buy a realy good stratocaster?

I miss the sound of a stratocaster but I am not the kind of vintage man who likes it when his guitar humms from belgium to tokyo. I know there are vintage noisless pu's and so on...I preffer the american deluxe stratocaster, alder body, 2 point bridge, noisless pu's, maple neck.

Question: When I buy a stratocaster it will be cool to play in a hendrixmood wich I have for the moment. When I buy a jem, this will expand my collection!! but the available guitarsounds remain the same...
wich one to choose? Other advice...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 02:59 AM

What Jems do you own?
When down and out and not sure what to do, do what I do... Buy Both : D
Either that or sell the Jem that's at the bottom of your list or another guitar you might own that you aren't overly pleased with... and buy both the new Jem and a Strat. I own a Strat, 3 Jems, and a UV... I'll never sell the strat for a couple reasons... as much as people dog it, it's one of my smoother playing guitars and I love the sound. Plus, it was my first guitar... and I could never sell something with that kind of personal value. I could easily see myself selling off my 555 and my DBK to buy a FP or something. I love the DBK... but it's all a matter of preference. I'd almost be willing to sell off my UVMV AND DBK so I could buy a DNA. Life is a series of Jem trade-offs. Just trade well
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

I own a FP, 777DY and a 10th. So I have maple, rosewood, ebony, pafs, evo's, aahj, ... I like them all. The fp was my first and is signed by Vai, the DY plays the best off all, and my 10 is a miracle...

There is no option to sell one of these.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 09:33 AM

you can always get carried away like I did and have a custom guitar(s) built. Combine your favorite features of the JEM and strat into a cool custom....or as mentioned before....buy both.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 09:44 AM

If you're gonna buy another Jem, I suggest the VWH... just my prsonal preference. It's my dream come true. Of course I've never touched a Jem 10, and I know I'm probably missing out. I still think you should go with the VWH. One of the main reasons why I would say go for that one is you can get it brand new... It'll be more difficult to find a BFP or a LNG that's mint. But then again, I don't know if new, used, beaten to death, etc... is what your looking for.
Since you already know you want those three... get all three. Go with the hardest to find first, second hardest to find, and of course the VWH : )
You can never own too many, unless you're going without food and shelter, but even that's questionable, as long as your guitars are kept in a nice, warm place.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 11:49 AM

Get one of these:

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0107100

Best strat I have ever played.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 12:10 PM

I'd say pick up a nice strat. There's nothing like one when you're feeling all Hendrix-y and stuff.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the opinions! A custom built jem with a true strat sound is cool. I would prefer a blank wood body, 3 single pups, and a maple neck.
It would be an classic looking jem with no fluo colors...
Something like the bad horsie guitar.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 12:20 PM

I wish I had problems like: What guitar to buy next?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 12:39 PM

If you want a strat sound, then you need a strat period. But you don't have to spend a $1000 to get it. Pick up a used mexican strat that plays nice....you can find them for $300. Then take the $700 you saved and apply it toward getting one of those other jems you want. Being a jem addict, I'm sure you will play them more than the strat anyway. Plus my experience is that the mexican strats are of excellent quality and playability. My 50's classic is really put together well.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

do you like the tex made strats? Aren't they noisy? I've had a japanese strat, played and looked cool but sound sucked because of the bad pups and tuners...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 06:28 PM
RGN

I keep seeing really nice custom shop Fender stuff. I really like the 60's cherry sunburst model. Very classy looking guitar. I owned a 1980 model strat years ago and ended up selling it. I maybe ready to try one again.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 06:43 PM

I highly recommend looking for a Squire Made in Japan Stratocaster...They are flawlessly made i think, I own one and, I would hot rod it up to be a shreder but, I would just ruin the whole vintage strat thing. They run anywhere from 250-400. Mine has the fine tuning fender tremlo and locking nut, I believe it was part of the proformance seriese?
A hightway 1 strat would be great too, I played one with mixed feelings twards it, and I would buy one without a doubt if I was wanting a new strat and had 500 bucks
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 04:24 AM

Ooh, there's nothing like that out-of-phase strat sound. And the sound of that front pu! I think the yngwie and other high end mods are pretty quiet. They have stacked single coils or you can get a rail. Some noise is part of the way they're supposed to sound, though. You know, it's a vibe.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 11:16 AM

Reviews: 5
I love my JEM7VWH. It's by far the most versatile guitar I've owned, and the best playing guitar for solos. BUT... I think if you like the strat sound you should get a strat. JEMs sound like JEMs. With that said, if you purchased a second pickguard with single coils mounted on it, you might get pretty close on a VWH with the alder wood.

Tags
alder body , custom guitar , custom shop , deluxe strat , locking nut , maple neck , mexican strat , playing guitar , strat sound , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode