mad at my 777BK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

mad at my 777BK

oh k i love my uv but i have a cheapstrat copy that i got from a pawnshop that has better action than this thing is that common i mean at the 12 fret theres 4-5mm between the low b and the fret and 3-4 between high e and the fret and since there isnt a tech around here i cant give it to him and im a lil iffy about doing it myself(no patience)do all uvs have bad action? oh and ive still got fret buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 12:05 AM

just do it yourself dude. go look for the tech section on this site and do what it says. there's nothing to it
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 12:52 AM

Yeah just try yourself you really can't do much harm. And yes it is a little scary but it is not hard and a good skill to have.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 01:07 AM

as long as you don't turn any bolt so hard you feel it's gonna break, go ahead! the instructions here are great, and they complement great with the 'used guitar primer' you'll find in ibanezrules.com (banner above)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 11:24 AM

I agree...it's a good thing to *know* how to set up your own guitar.
I mean, you wouldn't drive your car without adjusting the seats and
the mirrors, would ya?

And worse case, when you can't get it how you want, just take it to a
pro. It will cost you that same either way (assuming he's a reputiable
pro), and you'll have a fine guitar!

Maybe he can even toss you a few pointers...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 02:32 PM

Oh god yes... Learn how to do your own work. there's a few key reasons. First of all, you know EXACTLY how you want your guitar set up. a tech probably doesn't. Also, a tech will spend maybe an hour tops doing a full setup job, while you will get hooked and tinker for days. The upshot? your work will be much more thorough. Additionally, the knowledge you'll pick up while working on your guitar will both give you a more personal relationship with your axe, and will be invaluable in understanding how it works.

Finally, once you get real good and everyone starts telling you how well your guitars are set up, you can start charging people to set up their guitars for you. (actually, i don't charge, i just do it for free for my friends)

-Drew
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 02:52 PM

Or...you can give the guitar to me. I'll make sure it has a happy home. My new UV needs a little brother. HAHA!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 02:57 PM

my friend avoids even touching his guitars like a plaque. I just don't get him sometimes. Myself, I'm the opposite. I wanna know every milimeter of my axe...when I got it, I'd take out pickups and tremolo just out of curiosity.

anyway, he recently got a new Warlock and when I saw it I went "dude, your trem angle is all wrong". he just ignored me, but called me the next day, after he detuned to C# and the strings were on the pickups. So I walked him through the setup (oh you should've heard us ) and thanked me for the rest of that week.

In the end, I saved the guy $100+ for not going to the tech. and now, he knows how to do it himself

Tags
fret buzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode