majorly pimp'd my JS100 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

majorly pimp'd my JS100

OK, so I bought my JS100 many years ago due to the awesome custom colour, but I never really got into it due to the horrendous trem that just wouldn't stay in tune. It's sat with limited use over years and I decided to give it a total going over and see if I could make it a great guitar.

I bought a Gotoh FR trem to drop in, but it turned out that the body needed some routing (So much for advice!). I also realised that one of the tuning problems was that the neck was slightly out of alignment, another job beyond me. So off it went to Robin at Deadlight Designs Custom guitar workshop to get a proper fix up. As I had spare cash I decided to go a bit mad, so I also had an ebony fretboard installed with a tree of life inlay (always loved them!) and replacement stainless steel frets. Having come back I put in all new electronic components, locking tuners, threw in a couple of Bareknuckle pups and customised the knobs. The bottom line is that now this guitar is a KILLER!!!!! I just can't put it down since I got it back, so much so that I'm even thinking of selling my beloved PRS CU22, it just hasn't go a look in since the summer.

Anyway, for anyone still reading, here's a few pix:

Tree of life inlay on Ebony fretboard, Mother of Pearl and Abalone

New Knobs: I use both knobs a lot and like to know where I am, so I cut an indent out on a lathe and stuck in a laminated number strip that I produced at work. They look the same as before from the front, but I can easily see where I am now.

Gotoh FR trem: Awesome unit! I love that the post lock into place with an allen key. You can't see it on the pic, but I cut slots into the tops of the posts to make it easier to adjust the height. Otherwise you have to remove the whole bridge for each tweak. You still need to loosen everything off to take the pressure off, but it's easier overall.

Bareknuckle zebra Nailbombs - how cool do they look (and sound!)

Lastly, Here's a pic that shows the colours that you can see with the awesome flip paint. It's usually Green or purple, but you can get the reds and yellows with a strong light at an acute angle. Note: 1st three pix are old ones before the new work.

I cannot express how much I love this guitar now. I honestly feel that all my best guitars NEED stainless steel frets now, the feel is so awesome. Anyway, that's enough of my waffle. Hope you liked the pix. Oh yes, more than happy to ditch the Satriani logo on the 12th fret as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Contributor

Re: majorly pimp'd my JS100

I am normally not a fan of doing stuff to JS100s because I had one and they suck, but that looks good. I love JS90ths, I have two. It has that paint and ebony fretboard. It looks great.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 3
Cool Re: majorly pimp'd my JS100

nice !!! control knob idea AWESOME !!!!!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 PM

Came out sweet,good work.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Reviews: 6

I really Fcuking like that.......
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM

Great work!!

What is that color exactly? I would consider that for a project I'm slowly working on.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM

Stunning work!!

Tags
js100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode