Making A JS - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Making A JS

Got the basswood, and cut the main shape. Doing some of the routing tomorrow...will post pics at some point.

Looking for a suitable neck to fit a standard js neck pocket.
Also need an edge trem...preferably lo pro or an original edge.
I know I should have posted that part in the classified adds but this thread is more to do with progress on making it and tips.

Is it possible to fit a wizard neck to the js style body by just changing where the screws go through the rear of the pocket? Or is that style neck join totally different?

Should I buy a sustainer pickup ie fernades or sustainiac for the front pickup or just stick with some good pickups? If so which pickups should I put in it?

And when i get too it, would the natural basswood finish look best with laquer, or should i attempt a swirl paintjob? I know how to do these, would just need to practice a bit first.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM

Re: Making A JS

A square-heel Wizard might fit the route (i'm not sure, but someone on here will know), but you still have to relocate the neck pickup or cut off the last two frets. Make sure the neck ends up in the correct position wrt the bridge for the scale length. If it's an AANJ neck, you will have a lot more modification to do to the neck pocket to make things work.

The sustainer is completely up to whether you want a sustainer or not!

Basswood (normally) looks like crap with a natural finish, so given those choices I would have to vote for a swirl ... or anything else opaque. If you want a natural finish, start with something a lot better looking than basswood.

Good luck with the project.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Hey Ryan, thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. I am going to try to get an original js neck/radius so i dont have the trouble of re working where i place the neck pickup and how the joint is routed.
Also, thanks ALOT for answering the question on natural finish...I was unsure of this. Next time I do one ill most likely go for wood that will have a nice natural finish...as this is the first time I have attempted anything like this I went for a wood that wasnt too expensive incase I ****ed it up. (Most likely going to happen)

What is the exact distance needed between the end of the neck pocket and the start of the bridge cut out (for an edge)? And if it is slighty wrong...I am right in thinking that there is a reasonable amount of adjustment of the bridge using the saddles to get the tuning right?

Thanks alot
Dan
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM

Assuming a 25.5" scale length neck (which is true for all the necks mentioned here) and an Edge-something-or-other bridge, you need 25" (or 25 1/16" or so) from the nut to the anchor stud centers in order to get the saddles into the right location. (It's 25.5" from the nut to the saddle break points, with a little extra saddle adjustment room for intonation/compensation.) Whatever neck you choose, put it on and verify that the nut-to-bridge distance is right. Or if you are trying to size the neck pocket, measure the distance from nut to neck heel on your neck, subtract, there's your distance from neck pocket heel to bridge.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for the info Ryan lets hope i dont mess it up...lol
Ive seen a Radius neck on evilbay for sale...which i might get. A bit expensive...but the chances of me finding a suitable neck in England is highly unlikely.
Thanks again

Dan

Tags
aanj neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode