Maple board suggestions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Maple board suggestions

I have a disappearing pyramids maple board that a previous owner partially sanded down to bare wood. They sanded it all the way to bare on frets 1-2-3, the rest of the fretbard has moderate sanding/scuffing but appears to retain some of the factory finish. I'm wondering if there is a way to apply something to the bare maple that will "look right" with the existing finish or if I am best off just sanding it all the way unfinished.

The back of the neck has been sanded all the way down to bare maple so it's not like this is an untouched original or anything.... Moral of the story: Keep the sandpaper AWAY FROM THE KIDS!!

Rich had mentioned bore oil for maple necks. Is this a finish per se, or more of a maintenance product like lemon oil? I'm wondering if it would darken this unfinished maple.

-Shrigg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM

Re: Maple board suggestions

I've used tung oil on one of my necks before. It works fine. You have to be careful when using it, wear rubber gloves, proper ventilation, all that. Apply a thin coat on a cloth and let it dry overnight. I used 0000 grade steel wool after to get rid of the gummy little residue, but it was fine after that. It isn't a magic bullet, after lots of playing the board will get dirty again. There are a few guys who can reshoot a clearcoat over just the fretboard. Some of the Jems have tung oiled necks and fretboards and some have clear coat on the fretboard.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

I've also heard of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil being used. Music Mac uses this at the factory, at least on the back of the necks. I got this info right from their tech when I was on the phone with them about one of my basses
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:25 PM

Big + 1 on the Tung Oil. I have used it on maple necks before with very good results. It will seal the wood as opposed to an oil that just protects/conditions. Easy to apply also.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbaker33 View Post
Big + 1 on the Tung Oil. I have used it on maple necks before with very good results. It will seal the wood as opposed to an oil that just protects/conditions. Easy to apply also.
Okay, so I should go ahead and sand off the rest of the remaining finish on the fretboard before applying the tung oil?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:48 PM

I would apply it to the spots that are bare wood. If its only the first 3 frets that have been sanded, i would leave the finish intact and tung oil those and the back of the neck. You can add another coat also. When i did a maple neck RG, i did 3 coats, and after several days it became a nice hard finish. I really like the 3M Micro Mesh as a way to get a nice finish on the neck thats not tacky.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbaker33 View Post
I would apply it to the spots that are bare wood. If its only the first 3 frets that have been sanded, i would leave the finish intact and tung oil those and the back of the neck. You can add another coat also. When i did a maple neck RG, i did 3 coats, and after several days it became a nice hard finish. I really like the 3M Micro Mesh as a way to get a nice finish on the neck thats not tacky.
Great stuff! THANK YOU!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 PM

Tru Oil will blend in with the factory clear, and add some protection.

Tags
maple necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode