Maple Neck and Fingerboard Funk...Miracle Cures??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Maple Neck and Fingerboard Funk...Miracle Cures???

I have a maple neck and fingerboard that have been played, but not abused, that are in need of a serious de-funking. Not black, not really even soaked in, most of it comes off with your fingernail on the back of the neck. Please reveal any secret potions or panaceas you may have to help cleanse this this neck of its' wayward past. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:19 PM

Just a light wipe with some ultra-fine steel wool will do the trick.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 09:21 PM

is there anything you can do if they're soaked in?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 07:38 AM

Jemsite has this info - check out this tech report on cleaning maple fretboards: http://www.jemsite.com/tech/t_3other.htm#fbclean
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:53 AM

I've tried a few different ways of cleaning the maple neck on my BFP.

Nothing works particularly well...I definitely didn't get the 'advertised' results as seen inthe Jemsite tech section

whatever you do, make wure you moisturize the wood afterwards (with lemon or tsung oil) and let it dry for 24-48 hours.

~Kenny
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 02:04 PM
rvj

I followed the Jemsite guide and got pretty decent results. It took several hours, but I was quite pleased. Of course, it will never look as bright as a new maple board. Make sure you remove the neck to protect the body. After many months of intense playing, mine's starting to get that look again.

Tags
maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode