Matt's Music, rebuttal and apology. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Matt's Music, rebuttal and apology.

Wow, never thought there would be such a firestorm over my posts in only one night! Taking the advice of Jeremy from LGM Guitars (thanks for the email BTW), let me introduce myself to the forum and explain my reasons behind making the posts last night.

I'm a 36 year old guitar player, who owns and runs 2 shops in the Boston MA area. My music backround consists of 2 degrees in music from GIT and Dean College. In 87 I was a touring member of Geffen recording artist ADAM BOMB, in 89 I made it to the #2 spot (out of a couple thousand submissions) during the auditions for Ronnie James Dio's band. In the early 90's I was a member of a Boston local band called WickedWitch, which produced 2 members of Savatage and Trans Siberian Orchestra. Presently I play in a band called TRIGGER EFFECT which has toured the Northeast with Iron Maiden/Rob Halford and done demo work with Grammy winning producer Neil Kernon. We were also chosen as one of the 16 best unsigned bands in the USA by Sam Goody record stores.

On the music store front, I started in music retail back in 85 taking the trash out and cleaning guitars at a local guitar shop. After 11 years of managing the shop, I decided to go off on my own and opened Matt's. That was 6 years ago and now we've got 2 shops that teach over 300 students per week and do over a million in sales annually.

On the Ibanez front, I've been selling Ibanez guitars since 1988. I'm very up on what they make, I'm very up on the different models and what makes them great guitars and I've personally been playing a RG7621 for the last few years and love it.

So... last night was a little slow and I figured I'd try to get some visibility for the shops and let you guys know that we're here for those that are looking for a place to buy their stuff. That's all. I had no intention of pissing anyone off.

And regarding the email that I sent that ended up getting posted here. Rich and I have done some pretty extensive business together in the past. Competition is what makes the world go around, Rich knows that and I know it. We both sell Ibanez products and we both (in many cases) appeal to similar customers. I saw that there was a post on Jemsite where someone was considering buying an Ibanez in the future, and I responded to it. Simple as that.

In closing, I apologize for the posts. Upsetting the forum members on here sure as hell wasn't my intent.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:26 PM

Matt,
Apology excepted. That was my post with the purchase of a new JEM, I just thought it was an outsider looking in on the forum and decided to spam. I didnt realize that you were one of the sponsers up top. So I myself owe you an opology. I think I handled that the wrong way.
There was no harm done in any way, just a few flamed rears and I am sure everyone here will get over it if we all didnt already. The way you just handled yourself in your apology was "stand-upish" and deserves reward. So no hard feelings here bud.
Now on a different note, I swear I have heard of "trigger effect" before. As soon as I saw that name, it sounded familiar. And then I saw that you played in the North-east. Have you played anywhere in Maryland? I live about 45 minutes north of Baltimore and that band name sounds so familiar. Anyways, hope to be chatting with you on the forum.

Eddie
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:40 PM

Matt, good on you man.

I hope there are no hard feelings here. I know some of what i said was a little harsh maybe, but just my opinion. (sometimes maybe I should not voice it as loudly).

As I told you in email, I think your bigger market here will be in the other gear you sell, as Rich is part of "the family" and is known as "the man" for high end Ibanez. However, you offer full lines of other gear, and that is what I would encourage the members to look at, as well as Ibanez guitars, specifically if you are in the market for an RG series or something.

I wish you the best of luck, and I'm glad to see you post with an introduction, I had know idea of any of what you wrote, and I think it is very cool. Something I wish I could lay claim too! LOL

take it easy.

Jeremy
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Vendor

Welcome Matt, now that's the way to introduce yourself! Nice to know a little more about you.

Matt and I have definately done a bit of biz, I think I've bought 5or6? and Matt's even bought 1 from me [come on Matt, time to buy more and even up!]

Compete? Nah, I can't compete with any of your authorized guys, you undercut me by $1 and you just made $149 more than I did But I will make you work 3 times as hard if you want to compete apples to apples
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi Eddie - Thanks for the response. I don't think we've played in MD, I'm pretty sure the farthest south we've gone is PA. The band has gotten a reasonable amount of press the last couple years though. It's possible you could have read something in a magazine or on the net somewhere.

Thanks again for being so kind in your response.

Matt
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Vendor

Thanks Jeremy, but people are of a free mind and having an authorized dealer here is the perfect couterbalance to IbanezRules. That's why Glen wants to always maintain an authorized presence. And remember there are WAY more models I do NOT handle than there are that I do. Matts offers an excellent variety as he will carry all that MIK or MIC [and some MIJ] that I won't, as well as everything non-Ibanez he deals in.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:55 PM

Matt:

I think you definetely must have a lot of Ibanez experience/stories/material that you would like toshare with us!

welcome!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Thanks Jeremy, but people are of a free mind and having an authorized dealer here is the perfect couterbalance to IbanezRules. That's why Glen wants to always maintain an authorized presence. And remember there are WAY more models I do NOT handle than there are that I do. Matts offers an excellent variety as he will carry all that MIK or MIC [and some MIJ] that I won't, as well as everything non-Ibanez he deals in.

my point exactly.....

As I said, in the JEM/UV trade, you are known as "the man", primarily with the old models that everyone wants and you seem to have. It's all the other models, like I stated above, that Matt will likely have sales in, the RG lines, etc.

He's got the Ibanez dealship, and he's got alot of others, my point I guess (which quite often I do seem to miss saying LOL) was don't focus all your attention at the Ibanez market here, because, compared to ALL gear, it's still a fairly small market. Matt's has the edge with the ability to carry all gear, which is great.

I'll likely deal with Matt in the future, as long as he doesn't hate me for saying what I said LOL!!!!!!

I wish the best of luck to everyone, it's a happy place, can we all play nice now? LOL
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:16 PM

Ok, now that it all said and done, maybe we could convince someone to delete the "new jem" thread , I am sure you wont want to be looking at it every time you open up this website.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Rich - Thanks for the kind words. I haven't spoken with you since I grabbed that DNA off of you. To anyone reading this, if you're looking for rare or collectible Ibanez's, Rich has what you want and he's a hell of a nice guy to deal with.

Jeremy - I'd also like to thank you for your kind words. If either of you guys ever need anything just let me know and I'll hook you up.

Matt
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:31 PM

Welcome to the group!

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 08-23-2010 at 12:58 PM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Vendor

And many thanks back!

We complement each other well, which is good for this site and it's members, and for us too. Before this turns into too much of a love fest I'm going to go out and buy a Beetle and paint flowers all over it
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Ha! I'll try to be a little more active on the site in the future. It's kinda tough freeing up time with the 2 shops, but if any one has any questions about the 2003 Ibanez stuff (or any of the other stuff I sell), drop me an email or post it here and I'll follow up.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Vendor

And Matt, if you have any questions about them you can always check my Ibanez NAMM 2003 report. [sorry, couldn't resist!]
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 02:24 PM

Hey Matt! can you beat $749 for a rg 3120?? That is what guitar trader is selling them for. If you can E-mail me [email protected].. I dont no why everyone is getting there panties in a bunch. You noticed somebody was buying a jem and you offered them a better price. Nothing wrong with that.

Tags
custom inlays , guitar shop , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , iron maiden , lgm guitars , local guitar shop , locking tuners , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode