Migrating from 6 to 7 strings ? the pain involved ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Migrating from 6 to 7 strings ? the pain involved ?

as the title says, Ive got three prety decent six strings now and know absolutely NOTHING about seven string guitars but.... im feeling that urge to buy one just to find out what they are like...

before I invest money that I dont have to satisfy my curiosity... can anyone here give me the low-down dirty facts about the move from six to seven strings ?

Thanks

Jaden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:32 PM

Re: Migrating from 6 to 7 strings ? the pain involved ?

Here's the thing, it's like your other guitars but with 1 extra string.
Luckily the notes on the extra string are (ready for this) the EXACT same as the notes on the second string of your current guitars. I'm sure you can handle the switch.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
Here's the thing, it's like your other guitars but with 1 extra string.
Luckily the notes on the extra string are (ready for this) the EXACT same as the notes on the second string of your current guitars. I'm sure you can handle the switch.

And there's me thinking some sort of magic was involved!!
I struggle with 6 so no point even considering 7
Good luck though jaden... i say go for it
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:46 PM

You can shred harder on a 7 string.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:59 PM

I've always found swapping from 6 to 7 easy. But, if I've been playing my 7s for a while it completely throws me picking up a 6 again!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Ah, but the other side of the coin is people like me that can't adjust.

I must admit I'd like to have a go again at some point in the future but I'm on the acoustic bandwagon at the moment

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:30 PM

Sorry I guess I should say why...

I found the neck to be too wide and I couldn't get used to using the extra string, so it was like I was playing 6-string style on a 7-string, and then I became to conscious that I wasn't using the extra string and to compensate I kept playing stupid chuggy stuff.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Great, lots of answers but not enough opinion... or offers of technique change difficlulty scale etc;

thanks 249, thats exactly what im afraid will happen... chug chug.

maybe I could be more specific...
ive never had guitar lessons, I know next to nothing about music...
so im not gonna buy a 7 and think... aha ! ... just slide down one step and ill be on X-note.... that aint me..
If I had to define my playing it would be traditional rock with a hard blues edge... I play a lot of blues...
I was hoping to use the B string to kind of expand on some of my "trademark" riffs and give them that extra scope...
and my quesion is.... how many of you have done this and how long/hard was it/did it take
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777
You can shred harder on a 7 string.
And how do you figure that out mate? If you can shred you can shred, if not then a 7 string aint gonna help. Thats like saying you can pick harder on a Banjo.

Basically you have to try one, if you like it and get the feel for it then buy one. Thats what i did and im glad i did.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:58 PM

Just buy a cheap-arse one and play it for a couple of months and see what you think
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Once i started playing my 7, i played nothin else for months, until i bought a 1550, now i play both, easy to change between and both sound great.
As for techniques, you have to adapt, the extra string does throw you sometimes, but you soon learn to incorporate it into your "regular" style.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Maybe if you know nothing about music, you;d be better off putting hte money into lessons or books and learn how to work with 6 stings before you add a seventh.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
Maybe if you know nothing about music, you;d be better off putting hte money into lessons or books and learn how to work with 6 stings before you add a seventh.
Not necessarily. I got a 7-string for two purposes originally: playing regular E-standard stuff on the top six strings, and playing metal on the bottom 3, which I tuned to drop A. That way, I figured I had two instruments in one.
Now, however, I tune to B-standard, as I've matured a lot musically since I first got my guitar - gives me a more complete instrument with a wider range. I never got around to considering a drop-A tuned sevenstringer as much more than an all out metal-machine. As I see it - go with whatever feels right, then learn everything you can on your own. See what fits your style the best!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:26 PM

my adjustment period was all of about 10 minutes..

It really didnt take long at all.. I love it.. I get all my standard 6 string songs and then say I want to play something heavier than boom I got that too.. No need for a seperate instrument.

Plus doing clean work you can come up with some really cool bass lines for the chords to work around on the Low B.

And who says its got to have a Low B how about a High something instead of tuning it down.

I will go on the record and say I will only be buying 7 strings from here on out *** unless there is something to good to be true on a 6 ***

Brett

Buy a RG7321 off ****..
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
Sorry I guess I should say why...

I found the neck to be too wide and I couldn't get used to using the extra string, so it was like I was playing 6-string style on a 7-string, and then I became to conscious that I wasn't using the extra string and to compensate I kept playing stupid chuggy stuff.
Just get a Baritone then...

Tags
alder body , floyd rose , seven string guitars , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode