"Mint" and "never played" conditions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

"Mint" and "never played" conditions

Hi Guys,

After reading posts 4 a few months this is the first thread i am starting. I am about to buy a 77fp (my first Jem) and i was wondering about the "mint" and "never played" conditions. Sometimes i wonder why people buy guitars but never play them? IMHO guitars of this kind will not become vintage for about 20 years (after production) so i can't believe it's a kind of investment. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 07:43 AM

Re: "Mint" and "never played" conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem Guy
Sometimes i wonder why people buy guitars but never play them?
then you're not a collector. i too buy guitars and never use them, but i buy them used, sometimes good conditions, sometimes worn to death, but being a collector i like the fact that i *own* them. ok i'll be picking one and strum it out sometimes but never really use them. it's very hard to explain what it feels like to collect stuff, often we wonder ourselves, but that's it. i love that they (the guitars) would remaine pretty much unchanged in time since the day i found them. pretty much like they're hybernated. and luckily i happen to love non-top late '80s model such like the Power, the standard RGs, late Roadstars etc... nothing really expensive but very precious to me.
oddly this happens with Ibanezs only, i've got other non-Ibanez guitars that i like to worn bad. i love worn guitars. still non-expensive stuff though.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Hi Nuno,

You are absolutely right. I am obviously not a collector but a guitar player. However, i have 2 guitars so far (about to be 3 i hope): a Jackson and a Fender. I play them both daily and they are in great condition. Isn't this some kind of a collection? I wonder if collectors play their guitars or just like to have them? and i also wonder if the majority of people here are collectors of guitars players? maybe both?
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 AM

Nuno is 100% spot on.

On the other hand, if you want to play it, you'll go from "new" to "mint" in no time, so don't worry too much. I recommend visitng Ibanez Rules for accurate descriptions with matching photos, as most sellers will say "mint" when the guitar has some small dings and hardware fading...
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 AM

Agreed.

It's nice to have nice stuff!
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:09 AM

Hmm....I consider myself a collector. I have more than a few "mint" Jems and I PLAY them all. It is nice to have nice stuff and it is also possible to play a guitar and keep it nice I see no point in owning a guitar to just sit and drool over while it collects dust on a wall or hides in a case under the bed.

Guitars are meant to be played folks
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:15 AM

+1 Jim
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
i have a Jackson and a Fender. I play them both daily and they are in great condition. Isn't this some kind of a collection?
well, i think yes. but the *real* collection is the mere *owning* of the items. you got to be a collector in your DNA, or you'll never be. in fact i would be collecting anything, from Swatches to sneakers or fishing lures... my other collection is Lacoste polos, i love to see them hanging in my closet by colors gradation. but i also use them all days in Spring and Summer. love'em to death. maybe one day i'll be seeing in my closet all of the (55?) colors they do
anyway, i can't really describe or explain why. of course i (we) know it's not that smart to spend money in something you don't use, but what can i say, that's what it is. i happened to be involved in guitars and like, and Ibanezs seem to be made to collect them, especially late '80s models (fancy designs, vivid colors etc) so, here i am.

Quote:
I wonder if collectors play their guitars or just like to have them?
i guess the *real* collectors mostly like to strum their guitars more than really play them. and strumming is just an excuse to watch them...
no really, i do like to play my guitars, but since i don't play in any band, well, i won't call this "playing".

Last edited by nuno; 07-19-2006 at 10:48 AM.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Hmm... I consider myself a collector [...] I see no point in owning a guitar to just sit and drool over while it collects dust on a wall or hides in a case under the bed. Guitars are meant to be played folks...
then you're not a collector neither. you're a player who likes to have more than one JEM. that is different than to be a collector. and yes, we do know guitars are meant to be played etc, but that's it. there are things you can't explain, neither to yourself.

Last edited by nuno; 07-19-2006 at 10:44 AM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
then you're not a collector too.
Sure I am. I collect Jems

What.....you can't collect things and use them too???

I can see your logic if you were say...a coin collector, because using them would be spending them thus depleating your collection.

But not ALL collectables fall into the can't use catagory

I'm a player / collector
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 AM

Yeah it's geeky, but I love collecting Jap video games I play them once in a blue moon if at all. It's just nice to look over and see them sat there
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 AM

Plus with video games you can make copies of them to play so it keeps your originals minty
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
you can't collect things and use them too?
sure you can, but the "real" collector will never say "guitars are meant to be played". he will just say "i GOT to have it!.
don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this is the right way to think, i'm saying that this is a collector's mind. you gotta love the "object" for what it is and for what it looks like, first, more than for what it does.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
Yeah it's geeky, but I love collecting Jap video games I play them once in a blue moon if at all. It's just nice to look over and see them sat there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
Plus with video games you can make copies of them to play so it keeps your originals minty
now that's what i call a collector!
i did the same with all of my Blade Runner VHSs, copied them so i can keep the originals stored. that's not for collection, but just for safety, you know, i won't be finding myself in a future without my Blade Runner copy to be seen daily!
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 PM

I have 14 right now all of them in player condition :P. Player condition = dont give a **** about looks just play it make it sound good, change whatever you need to make it better, but above all get played.

Tags
ibanez guitars , john petrucci , pickguard screws , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode