Mirror pickguard replacements? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mirror pickguard replacements?

I just picked up a UV777BK which is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I just don't like the mirror guard. The fingerprints drive me nuts. I want to have a replacement made, possibly pearloid, but wanted to know if anyone else has replaced their mirror with something else. I think white pearloid would accentuate the fingerboard pyramids and still retain the classiness of this model. Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:50 PM

First congrats on the acquisition - A white pearloid should look pretty nice. *I know that there are some Photoshop experts on this site. *Maybe one could do a mock up for u. *
Out,
GP *
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:55 PM

Good thought. I was thinking that, when i finally get the cash together to pick up a 777bk, maybe hiring this guy i know, former ski coach of mine who teaches CAD design at my old high school, to do a custom aluminum pickguard, with maybe a brushed finish. Keep the metal look going without having to worry about fingerprints or corrosion or anything. The only thing i'd be at all worried about ispolishing the edges down so i don't cut myself if i start wailing away a little too vigorously. Anyone know of anyone who's done this?

-Drew
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 03:30 PM

go to www.jeanniepickguards.com

they do all the custom pickguard stuff. *for jems all the time. *mostly any material. *they do great work.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Oh I've used Roger many times. Always a great experience. I was just wondering what were some opinions about what I should have done.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 04:56 PM

Reviews: 2

hi bob, GORGEOUS GUITAR, congrats, you couldnt have gotten a better 7 string

i think you should get a Metal pickgaurd...you know the diamond steel type of look that are on the metal steppings on platforms.

congrats again on the UV * ;D
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

And congrats on that new metal fretboard :biggrin: I've recently seen a UV777BK with just that type of diamond steel pickguard. Can't remember where, but it was a little too much for me. Brushed anodized aluminum may be my answer if Roger at Jeannie or someone else can do it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:53 PM

Didn't go crazy trying to make this perfect, but I hope this is enough to give you a good idea of the UVBK with a pearloid pickguard.

-Ben

http://jemsiteforum.com/sharefiles/i...bkpearloid.jpg

(Edited by BeastofLove at 6:55 pm on Jan. 8, 2002)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:24 PM

Do you mean this guys?
http://www.ibanezregister.com/Galler...777pbkcust.htm

Steve
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Yep, that was the UV with the diamond guard. I fogot it also had 2 EMGs. Thanks for the pointer. Ben - the UV with the pearloid guard looks awesome. Thanks. That may be the winner.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:53 PM

Yea- I was pretty surprised myself- I didn't think the pearloid would work, but it does!

-Ben
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:53 PM

Kudos on the guitar. Nice!

I'm thinking about doing something similar to my DBK when I get it (within a few weeks). I really like the idea of a mirror pickguard, but I'm thinking about maybe an aluminum one or something as classy. Are there advantages to taking off the mirror, or is it just the look?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:17 PM

No advantages really, other than the fact that other pickguards may not show prints, or scratch as much. *The mirrored pick guards look sweet, but man do they show every little flaw....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 05:15 PM

true that! *i love my DBK but was going to change the mirror guard as well for black perloid. *maybe someday. *the mirror grew on me and i love this guitar. *
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Well I just ordered an aged off-white pearl pickguard from Jeannie. I'll post pics when I get it. I'm also thinking of changing the 2 humbuckers to a zebra coiled TZ7 and AN7. Should look sweet...

Tags
custom pickguard , pearl pickguard , pearloid pickguard , white pearl pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode