MKR vs. ATD Reswirl? You Be THe Judge (ATD 2K3) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

MKR vs. ATD Reswirl? You Be THe Judge (ATD 2K3)

About two months ago I came into possession of my first Universe through this site's sale ads, and the price seemed reasonable. I've ALWAYS wanted a swirled axe since the 'Snake/P&W era, and I finally could afford to pick up one.

After purchasing I discovered through the resources in these pages that Darren J. hadn't swirled all the original Uni's, and after inspection cmae to the undoubted conclusion that mine was indeed a MKR' guitar. THe swirl had faded considerably, and you could really see quite a bit of primer coat underneath the finish, so I immediately contacted Darren to undergo the project of refinishing the latest addition to my family.

After thoroughly scolding me for shipping the body the way I did, he told me he'd really make my head spin with a new finish in the original Universe paint scheme. I had certainly had my high hopes, due to the fact that I'd never had a guitar finished. . . just for me!!! So, it was really a thrill to follow him through e-mail and phone conversations on the detailed finishing process which took a mere few weeks.

Anyhow, upon recieving the "final" piece, I am in absolute awe at how beautiful this piece is! I knew after catching a view at the "noew legendary" BMC that I was in for a shocker, and I think the smile still has not left my face from the time I opened up the box and caught a glimpse of this new finish.

I immediately went in search of Memphis' most coveted luthier, the famous Tom "TK" Kekler (head guitar medic for too many artists to name and former assosiate of Schecter and Tom Anderson) who appraised the finish from top to bottom and deemed it worthy of the best. Within two weeks and a couple bucks later, I finally have my newly assembled (and vastly improved visually and sonically) Universe - Th eonly REALY modification it needed was a new pickup switcher and the pickups have been mounted on thin pieces of rosewood that are directly mounted to the body. I truly love just looking at this beast, and it truly rivals or surpasses any other finish I've seen yet. Anyhow, here is the before. . .

AND after. . . .

I can never thank Darren enough for all the kind, honest, and absolutley magnificent service he's done for me - You're the best!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:53 PM
Vendor

This should become the new target thread for "How can you tell the difference between ATD and MKR"

Hey Glen, look what he did to one of your old MKR's!!!

Nice, very nice. Darren, did you do a full strip or primer right over the original clear?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:59 PM

I am very impressed!
Darren you are indeed the man.

Todd
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:05 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
nice work... major improvement ...glen
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:12 PM

Just when I was starting to like my mkr! Thanks guys.I may have to give darren a call.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:21 PM

Darren's work is consistenly amazing.....I bet this causes a lot of GAS around here :P
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:26 PM

Darren is indeed the man, and that swirl rocks, man, can't wait to get mine back!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:27 PM

That's drop dead gorgeous!

One of the best Uni's Ive ever seen.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 11:51 PM

........... and ... darren is the man. Ok i think i've been in jemsite too long those swirls are looking better and better, but i don't think i can go out and play some brutal death metal with that kind of colors

that is a major improvement.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:07 AM

:O

That is the greatest thing mankind has done ever.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 02:08 AM

I started to read the post, but as soon as I realized there were pic's, I skipped ahead, not finishing the post.
I missed the very important "BEFORE..." right above the first pic.
When I saw that first pic, this is what came to mind:
"What are they smoking to think that's a great swirl?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
It's the fugliest thing I've ever seen!"
Well, I learned my lesson....

The "AFTER" pics are gorgeous!
That is a beautiful swirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a slight difference between the first and the second pic:
Which one is actually closer to the original?
Either or, it's a nice piece.
Darren is, like always, Da Man!
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 08:11 AM

I kinda liked the pattern of the original swirl, though it definitely could have used more black and better colour saturation overall.

The colour in Darren's re-swirl is just... YOWZA! Very intense... amazing contrasts. But i find it a bit "over-stirred" and too zig-zaggy for my taste. But then, it's not my guitar, so what do i know?

Did he make your head spin?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 08:31 AM

Re: MKR vs. ATD Reswirl? You Be THe Judge (ATD 2K3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverKing

Anyhow, upon recieving the "final" piece, I am in absolute awe at how beautiful this piece is! I knew after catching a view at the "now legendary" BMC that I was in for a shocker
now legendary!!!
LOL

well your universe now looks fantastic!! much much better than the original MKR!

Anyone else-If you are wondering what a 'BMC' is then look...

HERE
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

As far as the pics go, they were done in "less than serving" light, so I bumped up the contrast a little more on the second one - I'm just having a hard time getting the camera to take "accurate" shots of what this guitar looks like - the colors are just vibrant as hell, it's just stunning.

On the swirling, Darren pretty much told me he could keep it "tight" or just go balls out crazy with it, and I went for the second option (the more veins the better, I say)

These are Darren's pics:

http://onlinerock.com/musicians/life...frontunfin.gif
http://onlinerock.com/musicians/life...ibackunfin.gif
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 11:33 AM

Tags
death metal , pickup switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to judge pickup output
how to judge fret wear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode