Which model Ibanez do I have? - Possible Satriani model - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Which model Ibanez do I have? - Possible Satriani model

I have an Ibanez which is about 10-12 years old. I want to know if anyone knows what it is. I don't know if anybody can remember but this guitar was featured in the 1989 Ibanez catalog...Joe was holding it. It's jewel blue, pink knobs, SSH pickups.Its was around just prior to the Satriani Model. *Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:26 PM
Vendor

Which model Ibanez do I have?

The pic in the 89' catalog is a cropped shot of Joe holding the 540 Power which he never did play, was just a publicity shot. The guitar in front of him in the cat but not in the 'shot' is a 540Radius in Jewel Blue, HSS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I thought that's what it is. I don't have the catalog anymore...I just remember the picture from years ago. I'm looking to sell it. Any idea what I should ask for it? Thanks for your help.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:32 PM
Vendor

eBay they seem to stay $250-$400 depending on how clean, and of course who sees/wants it bad enough. There's a fellow Jemsiter Darren Wilson looking for one, but he's from Canada so be kind on the price
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 07:58 PM

Reviews: 2

I seem to remember that Satch 'plays' a 540 power in the Satch Boogie video.
Also Satch was an Ibanez endorser before the JS.

P
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 08:10 PM
Vendor

He did endorce the model, took the 'publicity' shots with it, but he said in a recent chat interview that he never did use it. I figure he endorced it while they were building his sig. It would be interesting to know if he used it in the video, to me that would mean he used it more than he admits (or remembers!LOL). I've never seen the Satch Boogie vid though. Can anybody confirm, or anybody have the vid they want to sell?? :biggrin:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 03:36 AM

Ummm Rich as big a Satch fan as you are, are you telling use you don't have the video " The Satch Tapes"?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 04:26 AM
Vendor

In my best Homer "DOH!" Iain wrote me earlier and refreshed my memory. Yup, he's playing the Power on the Boogie video. That would have been 87', so it was probably contractural he play that in the video. He had Blackdog by 88' but was always pictured on the Radius pages until he got his sig model in 90'. The Always vid must have been made really late since he's playing a white JS.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 09:33 PM

The always guitar is a prototype though isn't it, the knobs are wrong like a radius, also the 'JS' in big bad moon id H/S/S. Black dog has the 540 power knob layout which would lead me to think that he liked that layout.

It wasn't till the 'I Believe' vid that the fully evolved JS model finally saw the light.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:09 PM
Vendor

The White Allways JS is a Custom Shop proto, the knob layout is right but it has a straight jack. Blackdog knob layout is actually closer together than the Power. BBM and I Believe are on FIABD which is 90' when even I could buy a true JS model (the BBM H/S/S is a Goldboy one off). Even after he got his Chromes, Blackdog remained one of his main stage guitars until it was stolen (later recovered and retired) after that all he played was the Chrome and Donnie (but he always kept something 'different' in the road case)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 10:54 PM

Slight miscalculation on my part the I believe JS has a straight jack too. So technically not the finished article

P

I still think the knobs in the always guitar look wrong but Rich is current expert so I'll take my leave. I'll look at my vid tho.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 11:13 PM
Vendor

The I Believe is a Chrome, the straight jack is fully developed for a Chrome, confused yet? The knobs on the white are is the right place, but they're black hats not the normal Speed chromes, so it looks a little different.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:44 AM

Hasn't Joe got a chrome with an angled jack? I'm sure you see this in the satch tapes.

Also the Always JS has black PUP rings too!

I'm nightshift and it's weird what you remember when you have nothing to do.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:48 AM
Vendor

He has 2 with straight jacks ('production' version) and 2 with the angled jack (prototype version). Glad they didn't keep the black rings on the production whites!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 07:45 PM

I don't know about teh PUP rings. Sometimes i like the black sometimes I like the chrome.

Also I always used to think that a Black JS with black hardware wouls be good then they done it and i actually prefer the chrome.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Tags
angled jack , custom shop , darren wilson , ibanez catalog , satch boogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode