Modern lead,sustain ,high mid tone through Mesa Boogie with JEM ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Modern lead,sustain ,high mid tone through Mesa Boogie with JEM ?

Hi Guys,
Just wondering how many of you are using Mesa Boogie amps and Jem guitars.
Which pedals do you use to maintain such a modern tone ?
Is that possible with Mesa anyway ?
Mesa is one of the best amp outhere, but the lack of high mids don't allows a really "singing " of guitar in lead parts , as derscribed in title.
I have Jem 7vwh and Dual Rect Road King II combo , but still trying (one week till now ) to be even close to Vai or Satriani tone , but all I've got is really amazing Texas sound .
To replace tubes ?

Do I missing something here ?

Thanks for helping to this nut ........
BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Re: Modern lead,sustain ,high mid tone through Mesa Boogie with JEM ?

hello

i have a jem and mesa boogie.a studio.22+.great tone!! i love it.it is more like metallica master of puppets/dream theater or so.get used to it.and take some time.you know everything is great so there is no problem.and mesa and pedals?why?normally not nessesery.but give it a try.

have fun
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:57 PM

Reviews: 5

You've got one of my dream amps! I tried a series one Road King a while back, and really liked it, but didn't have the money. I have an F30 combo now, which I enjoy. I've been running an EH Micro Metal Muff (no top boost, dist around 12:30, tone around 11:00) through the clean channel. It comes close to Satch. (My guitar is a Bad Horsie Jem). I like the tone I get with that much better than the channel two normal or contour. Have you tried looking at the Harmony-Central reviews? Sometimes people will leave setting/tube tips in their reviews...

Good luck!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Brian and Robotalk ,
Both of you are right ,I need time to use on it ,and it is really great amp .but certainly not "plug and play " amp as the amps I used to have before...
Also , Mesa will force me to play better and more precise -this thing don't forgive any mistake ! With Marshall ,it is much easier to make mistakes and dirty playing can looks pretty nice ,it forgive you some how....

Probably I must find a right set of pedals and to experiment with different tubes and set-ups ..
It will be long journey ,I can see it ....
Cheers,
BH

Last edited by Big Hary; 08-27-2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: grammary
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Mesa's are renouned for there need to be fittled with to get that " perfect tone". It will take time just like any new amp. Good luck 2
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

You have right , I've been spent last night finding some nice sound ,and I manage to find one which I like it .
So,this amp really needs -time !

Cheers,
BH
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 AM

If you want to tighten it and add some upper mids, throw a tube screamer(or one of the clones) in front of it as a boost.

Rock on!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
If you want to tighten it and add some upper mids, throw a tube screamer(or one of the clones) in front of it as a boost.

Rock on!
I do this too, with a UV7PWH and a Rectoverb.

You just grabbed a Road King, right? The funny thing with the Rectifier series, is the "presence" knob on the Modern mode of the gain channels is actually voiced a little lower than you'd expect, and is more of a upper midrange control than a true presence.

So, for a thick but defined Vai-like tone that has a lot of upper mids, try this - set your treble at 0 (yes, zero...), your mids at about 2 o'clock, your bass about 10-11 o'clock, your channel volume pretty low (9-10 o'clock), and your presence either pretty high on channel 3 (say, 1-3 o'clock), or pretty low on channel 4 (maybe 10 o'clock - the presence control on this channel is WAY more aggressive).

These are pretty close to my lead settings on my Rectoverb, which is similar to channel 3 on a 4-channel Road King, or Channel 2 on a 3-channel Rectifier.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
Drew,will try your preamp settings (with diffrent combinations of tubes (5) and raw,vintage,modern (3) pre-set per channel ) .
Cheers,
BH
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:47 AM

try using an EQ pedal before the amp. boost the midrange frequencies up. i used this on my amplitube2 and it gave the mesa amp model some nice midrange..

no idea weather it will work on a real mesa LOL
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 AM

Pop in some JJ's -- that'll do the trick. I plug my Jem pretty much straight into my Mark III (forgoing a few true-bypass pedals) with JJ's and it sounds great. I would never use a stomp box to achieve great tone.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Mark line-up has a much more tight and high-mid tones than Rectifier series ,that's why you can have nice ton .
Do you think I can really change a nature of amp with simple tube replacement , ie. to kill low mids and add high-mids ?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 1

i own an F-100 and its great with a Ds-1 and Bad horsie up front for a great vai sound. i have a DD-7 in the loop for a nice sounding delay. The f series is more based on a Fender amp. so ur not going to get a recto type distortion. what i do is crank the gain to about 2:30, treble at 1 oclock, mids 130, and bass at 12 oclock. that is enough for me. then when i want more, i just kick in the ds-1 for more sustain and bite. its a tad muddy for the neck pickup since i have breeds on my BRMR. but with the bridge, its screamin!!!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
I would never use a stomp box to achieve great tone.
The O.P was after Vai/Satriani tones, and they both use pedals to boost their amps. In fact, it's quite a common practice.

Rock on!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi to All,
Thanks for advices , it seems I must have a bunch of pedals for such a tone ,plus to replace original Mesa (Chinese ) tubes with JJ tubes .
After all ,I hope I will find my sound , if not ,something is badly wrong .....
Will keep you informed ,anyway .
Cheers,
BH

Tags
mesa modern lead tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode