Mods on my Jem90ham - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mods on my Jem90ham

Hey all

I'm finally going to take the step of modifying my jem90ham, firstly it's a good chance for me to replace that dysfunctional corroding pickguard! I'm going to get a stainless steel one just like the one on my UV777bk.

Another thing is that I will be getting new pickups to go with the guitar. Evolutions are just not my cup of tea. No flames please.:biggrin:

Well I've been pretty curious about tone zone pickups! I'm thinking of getting all tone zones with the exception of the middle pickup. Does anyone have this combination or has tried this?

I would also like to hear other opinions from you guys about these pickups....tone zones and humbucker from hell. I don't think I'm gonna go for the Steve's special and Air norton combo, I had a p3 once and didn't like the sound that much.

thank you everyone!

Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 11:44 AM
rgr

Mods on my Jem90ham

TZs have too much bottom end for my taste, I personally like the Breeds much better. *The Evos have big low frequency roll-off (straight from Steve Bulcher, the designer at DiMarzio), meaning they don't have much bottom end at all. *The Breeds seem to sit in the middle of the 2 and are warmer than the Evos but not as muddy, IMHO, as the TZ. *It also depends on what amp you are using, my Rivera seems to have alot of low and low mid so it gets muddy quick if it gets too many bass frequencies.

$0.02,
Roger
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 11:52 AM

Reviews: 5
Mods on my Jem90ham

I'll second Roger. The Breeds are great pickups and shoud fit your 90HAM nicely.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 03:49 PM

Mods on my Jem90ham

That's not stainless steel on the uv777bk - it's a cheesy plastic mirror.

If you're going to spend the money, get something good
~Kenny
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 03:57 PM

Mods on my Jem90ham

If I'm not mistaken, that is a stainless steel pickguard on _his_ UV. *I believe he replaced it with one he had custom made.

Be sure to post your thoughts if you do decide to change the PUs. *I've been considering the same two pickup combos for one of mine. *Sort of a PG-jeM, if you will

Greg
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Mods on my Jem90ham

Hey Greg!

That's exactly the kind of mod that I'm going for, a PG jeM! LOL! Anyways I really love the sound of my PAF Pros in my floral so much better than my Evos. I'm looking to get that kind of sound but with much more high end.

Yes the pickguard on my UV is a custom, I know it's a cheap plastic mirror and hence I changed it

Any opinions on the humbucker from hell?

Also anyone who owns the tone zone...can you guys tell me why you like or dislike it?

Thanks a plenty!

Chris.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 04:59 AM

Mods on my Jem90ham

Quote:
it's a good chance for me to replace that dysfunctional corroding pickguard!
What do you mean by corroding? It is polished aluminum. Does it corrode? Mine is as blank and shiny as it was when it was new (I presume).

/BÝrge
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mods on my Jem90ham

Even if it was aluminium it would still corrode...not so much corrode to the point of rust but to the point of the metal clouding. I believe it is indeed chromed metal. I'm not too sure though. But you're probably the first I've heard who has a perfect un-clouded pickguard.

Chris.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 10:01 PM

Mods on my Jem90ham

Hallo there, i have in my Jem *a tone zone in the bridge position and I think is the most indicated pickup if you are in the style of PG, I've tried a PGM800 few months ago and it is incredible how good could be the TZ in the neck position, the only disclaimer that I have to do is reguarding the PGM guitars the same pickup seem to sound totally different on those instrument, for example Iwas never really impressed with the sound of the PAF Pro in the bridge of a JEM but in the PGM300 ( the white one) it screams almost like a TZ.
And btw I'm listening to Superheroes (Racer X) it is so *impressive!!
Sincerly

Stefano Giusti
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 02:11 AM

Mods on my Jem90ham

Hey Chris, why not try a FRED. I've been using it as a neck pickup for several years now. Really warm sound and great tone.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 11:16 AM

Mods on my Jem90ham

Regarding the Jem90 pickguards...

If I remember the story correctly, Ibanez used two different suppliers for the pickguards. *The pickguards from one of those suppliers were prone to the clouding problem, so you will see a lot that have this problem as well as some that don't.

Also, I believe the PGM300 has two Tone Zones, not PAFPros. *That would explain why it sounded so much like a TZ.

Although the tone, as you know, comes entirely from the F-holes.

Greg
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Mods on my Jem90ham

Yeah I think you're right with the pickguard supplier thing there Kuma...There were even some reports of guys whose pickguards were, well yes, magnetic!!!

Chris.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 02:45 PM
Vendor

Mods on my Jem90ham

Some were made from a ferrous metal (or so I've been told) and a magnet would stick to them, they weren't 'magnetic'
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 03:52 PM

Mods on my Jem90ham

Tough choice Chris. *I like the TZ on my RG-GOLD as much as the Breed on my Jem. *The best way is to have both :biggrin: on separate guitars that is!

To me TZ is more soulful and the Breeze is spicy. *I used to like the Evos on my BSB until I heard the Breed.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 08:57 AM

Mods on my Jem90ham

Well I should really check my facts before posting like a moron. *The PGM300 does indeed have 2 PAF Pros. *Sorry!

I agree with you David, the best choice is to have them all, though I'm finding my apartment (and bank account) don't agree with me. *One of these days I'm going to follow hrough on my crazy plot to hook the out[ut and ground wires up to an RJ-11 jack and build a collection of wired-up pickguards with different PUs so i can swap whenever I want.

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , bridge position , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , pickup combo , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode