Monkey Grip Mania! - share your little tips n tricks! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Monkey Grip Mania! - share your little tips n tricks!

I just use it for holding the guitar up at different abgles while doing legato's and carrying it around, which is a bit lame and uninventive, hence this post! I am also not a big vai fan, so very rarely watch any of his playing/videos etc, so I have to come up with some ideas on using it, and it would be cool to get some inspiration!

So, what does everyone do with it? What's everyone's favorite trick with it? Anyone got any good tips and tricks they want to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 03:05 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

I use it to show my physical affection for my BFP. *I love that guitar and just running my fingers up and down its neck all day doesn't quite do it for me.

I used to use the input jack for this, but after i turned 13 the jack just couldn't accomodate me anymore.

~Kenny
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 04:48 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

Yeah, when I play like crud I grab it by the handle and throw it against the wall. The anger management classes just aren't working...

Dave
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 04:48 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

You can cram a harmonica in it and have 2 instruments in 1.

Imagine the breakdown! *Holding the guitarnica up to your mouth, blowing out some blues, and tapping the accompaniment!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:13 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

I leave my zippper on my pants open so if in the middle of a gig I have to take a leak I just aim it threw the monkeygrip and don't even have to take off my guitar in the restroom ( by the way this only works with the old bigger monkey grips for me hehe ) *but be sure you shake good before putting it away don't want p on the swirl

please note you must ware your guitar low for this so get a long strap!

(Edited by jem7pbk at 8:19 pm on Sep. 6, 2001)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:45 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

The libido on this board has been at an all time high the past few days..... :biggrin:
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 07:08 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

I used to put my balls in it........ table tennis balls that is, had a song where part of the solo involved playing the guitar with two table tennis balls

ps you should try it, they make a great tapping sound

Steve
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 09:10 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

I like to stick my tongue through it a tremelo pick the first string. I also mounted a bottle opener in the handle so I can open my beer.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 02:11 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

A serious one:

When sustaining a note, I'll grab the handle, and move the body up and down, but keep the neck in it's place, so you can get a nice wide vibrato with the string that looks cool! It takes a little practice, but it's effective, and I'm surprised I haven't seen Steve do it yet....

It's always good for swing the guitar around too, (if the stage or room is big enough...), or just carrying around.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 07:35 AM

Monkey Grip Mania!

I put a small camera in there and we call it the "Jem" cam. Then just run around the stage filming all kinds of crazy **** *LOL* nah not really but it'd be fun!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:21 PM
rvj

Monkey Grip Mania!

It LOOKS cool! And it makes a killer handle. I've used it when I'm doing those pick-less pulloff solos. The chicks just love that! Especially when you hold the guitar above your head, dive it down, then straight up again, around and around, between your legs, ETC... Oh I'm sorry, Ive suddenly got this urge to go play now....
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 5
Monkey Grip Mania!

It works well if you get some serious gain going, and use the grip to hold it behind your back. *I do a bit where I start a legato lick that doesn't require picking, and spin the guitar behind my back and keep playing. *The monkey grip makes it fun to hold it away from your body.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 01:17 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

you guys have issues. *it's just a guitar. *i know you know that but i think sometimes serious psychological help is needed. *i have loved my guitars for years but still, nothing beats a chick.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 05:03 PM

Monkey Grip Mania!

very true shredmaster....but girls don't have a tremelo so when you poke them in the tummy you can make their voices raise in pitch :silly: and they don't have a volume control either :laugh: and I'd like to see some guy carry his girlfriend or wife by the waist or try to hold them behind their backs :biggrin:
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Monkey Grip Mania!

Quote:
Quote: from rsvampire on 5:03 pm on Sep. 23, 2001
very true shredmaster....but girls don't have a tremelo so when you poke them in the tummy you can make their voices raise in pitch :silly: and they don't have a volume control either :laugh: and I'd like to see some guy carry his girlfriend or wife by the waist or try to hold them behind their backs :biggrin:
and you can have more than one and keep them in the same room...

Tags
dna swirl , monkey grip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode