Monkey Grips and Tone ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Monkey Grips and Tone ?

Hey all of JEMsers.

I have a pretty naive question : does the monkey grip (that's how the handle is called, right ?) on a JEM affect the tone of the instrument ? I make it clearer. If you take an RG550 with good pickups and stuff and then just cut out parts of the wood to make the grip, wouldn't that affect the sound of the instrument ? I always thought sustain and tone color had to do with the wood, and so I was just curious on the effect on sound before and after cutting a monkey grip in a guitar ?

Anyone done this and noticed a difference, or not ?

cheers,

stephan

he he, hope you all understood, I am enquiring before I'd mod my RG550 any further (for now it has Evos in it and some fancy color hardware customization)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 11:19 AM

Well...techincally...yeah. the math denotes that the loss of mass from the body will impact the sound of an instrument.

Now whether you hear it or not is a different matter entirely.

Since there's been a multitude of RGs that have ahd the monkey grip-mod done to them as well as those that have played both (non-modded RGs and jems) and never stated a discernable difference involving the mod between the two I'd have to state that whatever difference there is doesn't appear to be enough to really be heard.

I've never done it...and I would also like to hear about it from someone first hand.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 03:00 AM

I've always felt that Ibanez, through engineering, has accomplished amazing tone and sustain from light, bolt on necked guitars. I have been picked on by friends about being into light weight bolt on Japanese made guitars and have made believers out of anyone who played any of my JEMs. You are reducing the mass of the guitar but believe the sound (sustain affected usually) difference to be negligable. Plus they look darn cool and it's neat to be able to grab your instrument in that way. What did Steve say in his JEM demo? Something about grabbing the handle and swinging your guitar around above your head......that is real important! LOL
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 09:59 AM

Yeah you have brought up a good point.

I have a jem7vwh and love the handle. They have great sustain, and the grips are a really great feature on guitars.

However if you walked up to a gibson lover and make them fall in love with a jem handle, they still would never cut out a large part of the guitars body because it just wouldn't sound like a gibson anymore (to a certain extent)

It has to affect the tone in some way or another whether it be good or bad i don't know. With an RG fitted with EVO's i say go for it. The sound difference wouldn't be too dramatic as those are some pretty hot pickups.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:03 AM

This thread reminds me of when EVH was talking about his old Ibanez Destroyer that he ruined by cutting out large quantities of wood behind the bridge.

He said after he did that the tone that he wanted from it was gone. I think it matters just how *much* wood and from where on the body it's removed as to whether or not the mod will perceptibly impact the tone.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:14 AM
rgr

Eddie also removed A LOT of mass from right behind the bridge of the Destroyer. This would have a much greater impact on tone than the monkey grip. In fact, if you look at a Destroyer then look at EVH's hacked up version, the percentage of wood removed is very drastic.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:19 AM

That's basically exactly what I just said.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:24 AM

As far as I know a guitar's tone is more affected by the neck than the body. A very light guitar body is more susceptible to your amp's volume which may give it infinite sustain if used correctly. I love it when my 7VWH just keeps on going ...who needs a Lumpy Paul anyway...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

OK, does anybody, by chance, know somebody trustful in Paris, France, to cut me a handle in my RG550 ? Just don't want to go to anybody and then find out it was badly done and nuked my nice modded RG

thanks. As to the Evo, I must say wow ! I now have an unknown killer neck pickup that looks like a DiMarzio and has even more output than my bridge Evo ( ) and the guitar sounds so sweet now ... ok let's practice

cheers
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 12:21 PM

dunno about Paris, but it definatly matters where the wood is. Around the pickups neck and bridge is most important, a la S-series,.

Therefore it will affect the tone much more if you put a monkey grip behind the bridge or near the pickups than on the upper bout, like a JEM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 03:39 PM

The wood that defines the sustain the most is the part under the strings!. The more wood the more sustain. This rule must also be applied on the neck. Ofcourse the quality of the wood counts.

Carved gibsons have a long sustain for this reason. They scalloped the body to reduce weight and the kept the important wood...smart! and it was harder to copy their guitars...

So the monkey grip is not covered by strings so it won't effect the sound that much.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 04:15 PM

Remember the Steinberger guitars? Those were pretty minimalistic or whatshemecallits...Can't remember how they sound though...haven't seen -or touched for that matter- one in years...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 02:28 AM

Once again the Steinbergers are engineering marvels. I've played pre-Gibson Steins that have harmonics on every fret and even in between. Quiet electronics and killer attack and sustain. I've noticed this on both neck thru's and bolt-ons. I also highly recommend the over seas made models from MusicYo.com and have owned several of these. They stay in tune like it's going out of style! Plus they are extremely affordable.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:04 PM

The only thing I dislike about the Lo-pro is that the cavity routing takes away the nice wooden "clunk" which is still present in the standard bridge model strats.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryangraye
The only thing I dislike about the Lo-pro is that the cavity routing takes away the nice wooden "clunk" which is still present in the standard bridge model strats.
Yea, that's a bad thing

Tags
guitar body , monkey grip , neck pickup , neck thru

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode