To multi jem's owner... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

To multi jem's owner...

Hello guys;
I don't know what happen to me (maybe because it's gonna be xmas soon) but I want a buy a other jem (dy, lng , vwh)... The problem is : I 've already got one fp and one bfp!!! So how could I justified having 3 or more axes...
For the moment the "bfp" is in Paris and the "fp" is in London so it makes sens...
Some people will argue that I only have 2 hands and cannot play all the guitars at the same time...
... So my few questions are for those who has more than one jem

- How do you fell about having more than 2 jems??? How do you explain it, (is it just to collect them)???...
- Do you play all of them (of course not at the same time), I mean, for example the vwh for "steve vai music", the 77 fp for rock music etc...

Thanks in advance

JS
PS : In answering these questions you could help me in making a decision : should I buy a new jem for xmas or a "les paul" or a esp "kh"???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:09 PM

It's easy to justify having multiple JEMs (or multiple guitars in general) as long as they're all slightly different:

-FP= basswood w/PAF PROs.
-BFP= maple fingerboard.
-VWH= alder, ebony & EVO's.

Therefore, they all have different tonal characteristics! As a guitarist, you can simply think of yourself as a painter: each guitar grants you access to a different palette of tonal "colors". Now...how many artists can you think of only use a single color? Or only two colors even?

The more guitars, the more "colors"! Of course, having one of each swirl REALLY gives you access to a variety of colors, both tonally and visually. LOL
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:11 PM
EKG

I get asked that question a lot.

Different woods
Different pups
Different tunings

edit:
vaijem, we must have posted at the same time!
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:15 PM

To continue on vaijem777's analogy:

A house painter will only use one colour and one brush. He's not
interested in making a piece of art, he just want to get the job done.
Luckily, few musicians have that attitude towards their music

Go buy another JEM, now!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:19 PM

Dude - you're in trouble! It's called GAS and it's getting to you. I'll be honest - I don't own a Jem. But I did have 6 at once about 3 years ago. Why don't I have them now? Well, it turned out I didn't need them afterall. I thought they were cool, which they are. But I couldn't financially justify all those guitars when I'm only doing this as a hobby. So I condensed my collection to no Jems. I found out the Jem is not the guitar for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the guitar looks and plays, but the little details started getting on my nerves... Middle pickup, 5-way switch, postition of the 5-way switch... so I decided to have a Jem built to my specifications.

There's nothing wrong with owning another Jem, but unless you really need it (alternate tunings, etc), then I'd pass.

Gabe
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:21 PM
rvj

The more the merrier. I've got nine... five Jems, a UV, and a few others. I've been playing Jems exclusively for the last three years. Out of the six Iby's, I actively play four of them. Each one while slightly similar, has it's own unique tonal characteristics. I also use them for alternate tunings.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson
I found out the Jem is not the guitar for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the guitar looks and plays, but the little details started getting on my nerves... Middle pickup, 5-way switch, postition of the 5-way switch... so I decided to have a Jem built to my specifications.
There's nothing wrong with owning another Jem, but unless you really need it (alternate tunings, etc), then I'd pass.Gabe
I'm pretty much in the same boat...I had (9) JEMs a couple of years ago, but they just weren't the most practical guitar for me in a band context. I love the tone and the looks, but I wasn't too fond of taking a Shocking Pink of Lock Ness Green guitar to gigs. It just felt wrong, since I'm not into spandex or hairspray.

That's why I diversified into JS', J-Customs, Prestiges, etc. A guitar for every application! There's no such thing as "too many" guitars, but...paying mortgage/rent, buying food, etc. should definitely take precedence over another guitar.

But...if you can afford it, go for it!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:30 PM
dex

If you're not sure about this, I'd say give the Les Paul or the ESP a chancee.
If you find a place you can play them, do and see what you think.

I would never own a 7VWH and 7VBSL at the same time, or a 7D and DNA at the same time. I absolutelly don't see the point.
If you ask me, go to the shop and play the pants of any guitar you like.
Something from the prestige RG series might be more of an option and give you fatter Gibson sound.
Good luck whatever you do.

P.S. Something my dad told me ions ago.
"Even if you own 50 cars, you can only drive them one at a time"
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Whaoww...!!! Thanks for answering so fast ...
I was expecting your answers to be like that and it helps me a lot (I can also understand your choice Gabe Nickelson ).
So, I'm gonna be a "jem addict" again ... The parallel between "a painter" and guitarist" is quite good... I choose my fp because it had a rosewood fretboard (bfp has a mapple one).
BUT :
first : Why I feel myself so weird when I want to buy a new jem! When I bought my fp (seven years after my used bfp) it was like being married and having an affair with an other girl... !!!!!! I was afraid to loose my faith in the bfp... Does anyone feel the same sometimes???

second : In order to have differents sounds why not choose something really different like the ESP or the Gibson... Do you have only jem axes or does some of you try and own differents brands?

JS
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:29 PM

If I was to have a number of guitars (which, i don't, cos i can't afford that) i'd certainly go for some variety...A Les Paul, a strat, a pointy rock machine (i.e. jem) and an acoustic would be a good setup for me (an archtop would be nice too)...If you play only one style of music, this may not be so important though....
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:37 PM

I always try to have a variety of guitars. Though the bulk of what I've got is Ibanez, I always have at least one good Strat, and I like to have at least one Gibson. I usually keep at least 3-4 non-Ibanez guitars around just for a change of pace. Right now, along with the 20 or so Ibanez, I've got a 60's Relic Strat, a Bowling Ball Strat, a '64 Gibson ES-330TD, an EB/MM JPM, and a couple of Takamine acoustic electrics. Variety is the spice of life, but overall, there aren't many tones that I haven't been able to get out of Ibanez guitars.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 05:44 PM

First of all, dont try to justify it. You can't.

Do you really need several guitars? can you distinguish between wood tonalities when you're playing a gig? I think not.

I'm not against having multiple guitars (I would LOVE to), all I'm saying is the reason is most likely that you want to give yourself a luxury if you can afford it.

That said....go for it!!!!!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
LOL, I came to this thread earlier today to try an justify why I have loads of practicallly the same guitar. I can get away with one for Eb tuning and one for drop D or whatever but as caprile said... it's really just for the fun of it. It's pure luxury and nothing else. I just like having a choice of subtly different sounds and incredibly different colours
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:46 AM

I wasn't planning to buy another JEM but since I found a deal on a BFP which is really rare here in Finland, I couldn't resist. After quick test I have to admit it sounds different enough to justify buying it (for me at least). After all BSB and BFP have many dissimilarities (neck wood and fingerboard, finish, pups, neck joint, looks).
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

thanx to All of you !
You've got a lot of point of view and each one are very interesting (vaijem777, jono, caprile...)!
Now, I just have to wait till xmas (or my birthday... I'll be 30 years old in december) to buy an used jem "lng" (it's gonna be hard!!!) or a jem "dy"... Or a Les Paul 2002 (a good year for some magazin).
No shame anymore about being a "multi guitars owner"!

Thanx again ...
JS

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , ibanez acoustic , ibanez guitars , les paul , maple fingerboard , maple neck , music store , neck joint , paf pro , paf pros , parker fly , rikk beatty , rosewood fretboard , steve vai , strat plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode