Multi Radius ? ... and trying to date my fresh BTB JS1000 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Multi Radius ? ... and trying to date my fresh BTB JS1000

Hi,

I just bought a JS1000 BTB second hand, but as good as new. The owner got it as a gift (omg!) but wasn't sure of the build year. The F01 at the start of the serial number on the headstock should indicate it is a 2001 model. It doens't have the "Joe satriani" inlay in the fretboard as I've seen on some JS catalogues with a BTB colour. A Lo-Pro Edge tremolo on board. In fact it looks exaclty as the JS1000 on Rich's site

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/ga...s1000btb_1.jpg

In my search of Tech specs of my model, especially the neck, I've encounterd : JS-neck, Multiradius Prestige neck, an exact digital rendering of the neck Joe prefers, Maple 1PC.Rosewood Skunke Stripe (hehe, this describes my neck at best , like the one in the link above) etc etc...

So... what does a multitradius neck looks like ? Never saw a picture of it, and the BTB 2006 model on the ibanez site doesn't mention a thing about multiradius. The only strange thing I once noticed years ago on a JS model in a shop was that the back of the neck wasn't round, but angled/jagged.

Any coments from you JS lovers ... go ahead.

Thx
Mike

Last edited by Silverburst; 07-19-2006 at 03:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 PM

Re: Multi Radius ? ... and trying to date my fresh BTB JS1000

The JS has a multi-radius neck ... that would be the shape of the back of the neck ... not to be confused with a compound-radius fretboard. Joe's guitars do have a compound radius fretboard, but the production models do not. The shape of the neck was digitized from Joe's guitar.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

okay, which means that the neck has another radius at the first fret compared to the radius at the 20+ frets ?

The model I once tried in a shop had a neck was not round/smooth at the back, but had edges. The cross-section of the neck +/- was like the half of a hexagon. greenish-blueish metalic coloured body.

I just moved, but when I have the time, I will shoot some pics of my JS.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike
which means that the neck has another radius at the first fret compared to the radius at the 20+ frets?
right!

Quote:
The model I tried had a neck was not round/smooth at the back, but had edges. The cross-section of the neck +/- was like the half of a hexagon. greenish-blueish metalic coloured body.
was it used? if it was used then probably the previous owner committed a crime giving edges to a JS neck. if it was new, well i don't know. if the color was like the one on the JS below, then it's a JS90HAM (90th Hoshino Anniversary Model).

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 11:11 AM

So when were the multiradius necks introduced? do all models from then on (except koreans) have it?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Yeah Nuno, that was more or less the color/finish as I can remember. Can't really find anything about the edgy neck profile, but that doesn't really matter I just wanted to make sure that it meant Multi-radius or not. Look more like Multi-radius-pro hehe.

Marianozz, this site mentiones that the neck hasn't changed since 97.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...1829/neck.html

Hmmm... I'm thinking. it would be cool to have some kind of ibanez database where evey ibanez owner can register his Ibanez with as much info as possible and some standaard specific pictures (front, side, 3/4, some details). Or maybe it already exists ?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 PM

Not much about the multiradius in that page :/
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Reviews: 3

From right here on Jemsite:
Multi Radius Neck explained from Hoshino USA (12/2003)

The multi radius neck refers to the BACK of the neck, not the fingerboard. Typically, a "compound" radius (as I know it) means you have a small radius at the nut and a large radius at the end of the fingerboard, this makes gripping chords in the low register more comfortable and eliminates "choking" in the high register while still allowing low action.

Apparently, our [JS] "multi radius" definition means that the bass and treble side of the back of the neck are not identical, the neck shape is intentionally "lop-sided" in order to replicate the feel of Joe's favorite neck. The radius is actually a fairly consistent 10 inches all the way up.

I believe multi's started in '97, but don't quote me on that.
Josh
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:32 PM

double post, sorry
Josh
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Marianozz : jup, not much about the multiradius issue, only that the neck hasn't changed since.

acoustic1991: Wel yes, I did read that description, but it didn't really clear things up for me. He clearly states speaking about the BACK of the neck, but i don't see how a change in radius on the BACK of the neck could influence "choking" in the high register while still allowing low action. Or am I missing something really important here ? And he mixes "Compound" and "Multiradius" (aaaaaarg )

what do you mean with Lop-sided ?

I made a quick model of the neck I once saw on an Ibanez, pretty much looking like the JS90HAM Nuno brought up, and it was like the upper neck in the picture (Lop-sided ? ), while every JS I saw on pictures etc has a neck like the lower neck in the picture.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 AM

So, post 97 Japanese JSs should have it... maybe it feels like a Wolfgang neck...

I always asumed the "multi" on JSs was about the fretboard, not the neck itself, dont think ive ever tried a post 97 one...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:11 PM

I'll edit this and see if it makes more sense.

"... a "compound" radius [the fret board itself, not the back of the neck] means you have a small radius at the nut and a large radius at the end of the fingerboard, this makes gripping chords in the low register more comfortable and eliminates "choking" in the high register while still allowing low action."

This is the correct def. of compound radius. It does actually make the guitar easier to play in the upper register. But were not worried about this in this topic, since Ibanez doesn't do this.

Here is what your looking for regarding the JSs.

"...our multi radius definition means that the bass and treble side of the back of the neck are not identical, the neck shape is intentionally "lop-sided" in order to replicate the feel of Joe's favorite neck."

So, if you have a neck that has a "C" shape to the back, and then it's multi radiused, one side is flatter then the other. This was done using a digital rendering of a neck Satriani had used for years. Naturally, it was more worn on one side then the other, hense the "multi radius" neck. Stupid and confusing name, but that's what they picked...

Josh
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Thx for the explanation Josh. Too bad Ibanez doesn't manufacture Prestige JS models with a Compound fretboard. They do the effort to reproduce the back of the neck from Joe's guitar to get a Multiradius neck, but stop there. it's "prestige" after all, and a bit what you would expect from "signature" models.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:40 PM

Compounds have a different feel and a lot of people don't like them and some can't tell the difference. Very few companies that I have run across do it, so I would imagine it's a money thing as to why they don't. The back of the neck is something you can actually "see" so it's easier to "sell" to a customer.

I'm glad I could explain it, it's a complicated subject. Enjoy that BTB!
Josh
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Marianozz : jup, not much about the multiradius issue, only that the neck hasn't changed since.

acoustic1991: Wel yes, I did read that description, but it didn't really clear things up for me. He clearly states speaking about the BACK of the neck, but i don't see how a change in radius on the BACK of the neck could influence "choking" in the high register while still allowing low action. Or am I missing something really important here ? And he mixes "Compound" and "Multiradius" (aaaaaarg )

what do you mean with Lop-sided ?

I made a quick model of the neck I once saw on an Ibanez, pretty much looking like the JS90HAM Nuno brought up, and it was like the upper neck in the picture (Lop-sided ? ), while every JS I saw on pictures etc has a neck like the lower neck in the picture.

That lopsided profile although upside down looks like the wizard 2 to me! The bass side of the wizard 2 is usually (at least on the older ones) Much larger than the treble side. Most of the js necks ive played were somewhat strat like in feel, although a bit strange. Its more than likely your just more aware of the way necks feel and have exaggerated things in your mind!

Tags
edge trem , fret board , hoshino usa , joe satriani , neck shape , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode