Is my bridge height properly set? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: Is my bridge height properly set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Haven't read all the posts so forgive, but yes your bridge angle is way off and leaning forward far too much. It should be level, the knife edge itself as seen from the side.
that's how the tech set it up. I found another tech but I'm not sure about him yet.

So how do I correct this. Just tighten the screws a little until is more level

This tech lowered the action on my guitar and I think when he did that, he lifted the bridge or something.

That's the problem you don't know if a tech has experience with these Ibanez trems. If he had, he should've known that the height is not correct. I suspected but wasn't sure

If he didn't know, how am I supposed to know, just a noob, but I don't have any tuning issues now.

I just wanted to know if I install the ESP stabilizer which is similar to Ibanex backstop, once that is on the guitar, can I still adjust the trem height with screws or would the stabilizer interfere with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

no one has responded to my question if bridge height can be adjusted after installing the ESP arming adjuster or Ibanez backstop
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
no one has responded to my question if bridge height can be adjusted after installing the ESP arming adjuster or Ibanez backstop
Why would a backstop prevent you from setting up the guitar? Of course it can still be adjusted. Either way you should setup your guitar properly first before looking for gadgets to band-aid a problem they weren't designed to fix to begin with. There are a million videos and written guides online to setup a Floyd Rose, just do it yourself.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Why would a backstop prevent you from setting up the guitar? Of course it can still be adjusted. Either way you should setup your guitar properly first before looking for gadgets to band-aid a problem they weren't designed to fix to begin with. There are a million videos and written guides online to setup a Floyd Rose, just do it yourself.
well technically if you look at my bridge, is raised too much as you said, though I don't have issues with tuning. I don't have any issues with my trem, I just wanted to try the stabilizer and see if i like it or not, worse case, i just remove it

now, the ESP arming adjuster is the backstop, you have to install it against the block with the screw of the stabilizer all the way tight

once that is set, that supposedly creates the zero point, then you can adjust the stabilizer wrench to make it softer

If I install, the stabilizer with the bridge this way and then I lower the bridge, wouldn't this throw off the stabilizer installation?

as when you lower the bridge, wouldn't this change the position of the block?

That's what I don't understand. I'm trying to figure out if is possible for me to lower the bridge to parallel after installing the stabilizer with the bridge as it shows in my photos

this guy here says the bridge needs to be set perfectly parallel before installing the stabilizer

basically, when you have the stabilizer adjusted all the way up, it blocks the trem, then you can adjust softer, so the block can move again, so technically, by adjusting it softer

I should be able to then adjust the bridge and then adjust the stabilizer again to where I want it

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2020, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

If your trem angle is "wrong" then it's likely the block will not be perpendicular to the plane that the ESP arming adjust runs in. Therefore, if the block is set at an "angle", NO, you won't be able to lower the bridge without it affecting the overall tuning because the arming adjuster will push against the block in increasing amounts as the bridge is lowered.

That's probably another reason your previous tech decided he would "waste a week of your time" by advising you not to install it and refusing to do the work!
CaptNasty likes this.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-20-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
If your trem angle is "wrong" then it's likely the block will not be perpendicular to the plane that the ESP arming adjust runs in. Therefore, if the block is set at an "angle", NO, you won't be able to lower the bridge without it affecting the overall tuning because the arming adjuster will push against the block in increasing amounts as the bridge is lowered.

That's probably another reason your previous tech decided he would "waste a week of your time" by advising you not to install it and refusing to do the work!
He is the one who set it that way so lol only recently I realized Is not supposed to be angled like it is now
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 01:25 PM

You're talking about lowering the bridge but then confusing the terms, the bridge height is set with the trem posts which has nothing to do with the bridge "angle" which is set with the spring tension in the back cavity. Yes running the bridge parallel will lower your action compared to it leaning forward but the action is meant to be set with the bridge height and not with the leaning angle. If you want the bridge to work as stable as possible in terms of return you will have best results when running the knife edges exactly parallel, that's how it's meant to be setup as per Ibanez's method.

Maybe Steve does have a preference (because it also effects how high the trem arm sits) but that's going to be a very subtle adjustment, yours is leaning forward a LOT. The arming adjuster is irrelevant in this discussion, you set the thing up how you want it and the gadget becomes part of the setup process, but I would never put one on my guitar.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You're talking about lowering the bridge but then confusing the terms, the bridge height is set with the trem posts which has nothing to do with the bridge "angle" which is set with the spring tension in the back cavity. Yes running the bridge parallel will lower your action compared to it leaning forward but the action is meant to be set with the bridge height and not with the leaning angle. If you want the bridge to work as stable as possible in terms of return you will have best results when running the knife edges exactly parallel, that's how it's meant to be setup as per Ibanez's method.

Maybe Steve does have a preference (because it also effects how high the trem arm sits) but that's going to be a very subtle adjustment, yours is leaning forward a LOT. The arming adjuster is irrelevant in this discussion, you set the thing up how you want it and the gadget becomes part of the setup process, but I would never put one on my guitar.
Thank you. Yes I was confusing the terms but now I understand what you mean. Yes the bridge angle is too forward but thats how the so called tech i had set it up lol

Im still learning about all of this. Could you teach me how to lower the angle by adjusting the screws at the claw?

Basically I would have to loosen the strings, then tighten 1/4 turn on both screws , and then retune again, then detune again and tighten another 1/4 turn and so on until the knife edges are parallel?

I mean if is staying in tune fine despite the bridge being so forward thats good sign that everything is good with the system and just needs that adjustment to be at its best?
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 03:09 PM

I'm not real good with floating bridges, but I have an easy way that works well for me... Try it if you like.

1 - Block the tremolo so it is level. I use pieces of wooden shims behind the tremolo block (in the rear cavity) to get it perfectly level. Loosen tremolo claw screws if necessary so the strings are holding the shims in place nice and tight.
2 - Loosen the locking nut, put all of your fine tuners in the middle of their travel... then tune the guitar to whatever tuning you want using the tuners on the headstock.
3 - Lock down the nut, recheck tuning and use fine tuners to get perfect again.
4 - Pull the shims out from behind the tremolo block (your tremolo with raise up like yours is now) and tighten the tremolo claw screws to pull the tremolo back down to perfectly level and back in tune!

That's my starting point after working on or building a guitar, a massive tuning change (Alice in Chains), having the strings all off for a fretboard cleaning, etc... You will occasionally have to use the fine tuners due to temp/humidity changes, but that method gets you tuned and level for a starting point... and it's so easy even I can do it. Definitely read Rich's website and you'll get good at it over time.

Good luck!
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

But i dont think youre supposed to adjust the tremolo angle with tension on the strings so i would have detune every time i want to make an adjustment with cLaw screws

Otherwise it could damage the edges since is making contact there

This wooden block trick would only work if the tremolo is deep into the cavity but if is forward like mine. I donít know how it would get it parallel.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 03:46 PM
Vendor

https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm#ADJUST
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

I've read this before. The information is not very detailed, for example, it doesn't tell me if I have to detune before making the bridge angle adjustments. Do I have to detune before every 1/4 turn adjustment I do? It doesn't mention that.

English is my second language and even though, is pretty decent. I can understand almost everything but is not the same as being a native speaker. My comprehension is not as good as yours or most people here, especially if the topic is something I know little about. I'm more of a visual person. I learn by watching others and imitating them. These instructions on this page don't help me much, it gives me a generalized idea of what needs to be done, but is not detailed. No step by step on what to do for my particular scenario.

For example, if I adjust the trem angle to make it parallel, this would lower the action, and I may end up with some buzzing, so then, I may have to adjust the action.

Unfortunately, I had bad luck with techs. The stupid tech I went before did a crappy job and set it bad. I'm still looking for a good tech who knows his way with these particular Ibanez trems.

People tell you, oh take it to a tech, get a setup blah blah as if it was easy to find a good tech. The two techs I went to had no idea what they were doing. It depends on your area, sometimes, there are no good techs.

I didn't set my trem this way, the tech did. I thought it was right, cause he is a tech and I didn't know any better until I did more research online.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 05:10 PM
Vendor

If you had to detune I would have told you to detune. The only reason you'd have to detune is as in your case you have way too little spring tension and you'll have to detune into the right angle after adding spring tension.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you had to detune I would have told you to detune. The only reason you'd have to detune is as in your case you have way too little spring tension and you'll have to detune into the right angle after adding spring tension.
Can I just detune strings and then adjust the angle to parallel without having to retune in between 1/4 turns?

In other words, can I just detune and count the turns until the trem is parallel

Im completely lost on how to do this. I donít want to waste my time and money taking to another tech with no guarantee that the guy will set it right.

I took my guitar to two techs already, spent money and my guitar is still not properly setup

If i take it to another i run the risk of the guy adjusting something and wearing my edges

Last edited by Fowleri; 12-21-2020 at 05:26 PM.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2020, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I lowered the angle and now everything is messed up, i have buzzing, I raised the angle like before, still, have buzzing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode