Is my bridge height properly set? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Is my bridge height properly set?

Original edge bridge

The guitar stays in tune fine. No issues at all.

I read that the knife edges are not supposed to be parallel with the body, but more in an angle. Mine are in an angle. Not sure if is correct.

This is how my previous tech set it up. The only thing I did to it, was to remove the springs to lift the bridge just enough to put some chapstick on the knife edges and posts, then I put the springs back again. I didn't have any tuning issues after I did this. I checked the knife edges too and they were fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 12:40 AM

Re: Is my bridge height properly set?

It SHOULD be perfectly parallel.
CaptNasty likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 01:35 AM

A good indicator is the whammy bar. If the bridge ain't parallel the whammy bar is in an awkward position. At least IMO.
CaptNasty likes this.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Does it look fine on the photos?

I read that Vai likes his bridge a bit raised too. I don’t know why.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
Does it look fine on the photos?

I read that Vai likes his bridge a bit raised too. I donít know why.

None of your reference photos necessarily capture the precise view you need to judge. (But maybe you knew that when you posted them, LOL).

Nonetheless, in my unscientific opinion, it looks to me like the bridge is leaning too far towards the fret board. I.e. tighten up the screws to pull it back ever so slightly. But then again you have to account for your truss rod, intonation, action, etc.
CaptNasty likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
None of your reference photos necessarily capture the precise view you need to judge. (But maybe you knew that when you posted them, LOL).

Nonetheless, in my unscientific opinion, it looks to me like the bridge is leaning too far towards the fret board. I.e. tighten up the screws to pull it back ever so slightly. But then again you have to account for your truss rod, intonation, action, etc.

I didn't know why I take as many photos as possible

Doesn't Vai has his bridge raise like this too? That's what I read

I mean I don't have any issues with tuning stability with the bridge like this.

I don't think the edge tremolo is supposed to be parallel like other models. I read Rich site says that the edgd bridge knife edges have to at a 90 degree angle or something
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I flat out think that your bridge position is "wrong" compared to the typical ideal set up.

Go here... https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm and compare what yours looks like as opposed to one that Rich has set up looks like. When I've finished with them, mine all look like the one that Rich has done on purpose.
The TPS Report and CaptNasty like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I flat out think that your bridge position is "wrong" compared to the typical ideal set up.

Go here... https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm and compare what yours looks like as opposed to one that Rich has set up looks like. When I've finished with them, mine all look like the one that Rich has done on purpose.
Ive looked at that before. That's the edge pro

If you go the edge, is tilted upwards and the knife edges on rich photos are also raised when in relation to the posts, they are not parallel. If you read his description, it says knife edges have to angled 90 degrees. I read this somewhere on his page

Anyway, if my setup is wrong, how come my guitar stays in tune fine?

I haven't had tune this thing in like 3 weeks since I figured out how to tune properly and bought the stretcha tool which is a godsend to properly stretch strings

after I put chapstick on the knife edges and posts, it improved the tuning stability too

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 02:54 PM

The bridge does look like it's tilted slightly forward. I would tighten the spring a tad.

As to your comment
Quote:
There is some tolerance in these systems. The bridge can be tilted too far forward, level, or too far back and still keep in tune. Not radically tilted but a little shouldn't cause tuning issues.

Also, if it finally is staying in tune, why are you still asking and arguing?
CaptNasty likes this.

Last edited by jds22; 12-19-2020 at 03:00 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 03:53 PM
Vendor

90* is called perpendicular. Your bridge is way too far forward, there's nothing slight about it. If you like it like that who are we to care, set it wherever you want. But good luck keeping the same action because the slightest bit of trem angle affects action a great deal. And throw the string stretcha away, it's junk. It turns your strings into waves when you fully slack them in a dive.
CaptNasty and Lagrangian like this.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
90* is called perpendicular. Your bridge is way too far forward, there's nothing slight about it. If you like it like that who are we to care, set it wherever you want. But good luck keeping the same action because the slightest bit of trem angle affects action a great deal. And throw the string stretcha away, it's junk. It turns your strings into waves when you fully slack them in a dive.
So what should I do?

I don’t care if the action changes a little. Should I just tighten the screws a quarter turn?

I don’t know much about this but I trust your advice, rich.

So if I screw the screws a 1/4 turn, would this raise or lower the action?

What do you think of the tremblock?

If you instal a tremolo stabilizer such as the ESP arming adjuster. Once is installed, can i screw and unscrew the screws at the claw to raise or lower the bridge?

Or would I have remove the stabilizer or release the tension of it to adjust the screws at the claw?

In other words, once the ESP adjuster is set, if I ever want to raise or lower the bridge with screws, can this still be done?
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 04:12 PM
Vendor

I've said my piece on stabilizers and you just wanted to argue, do whatever you want.

Jono already gave you the link

https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm#ED
jono and CaptNasty like this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
Ive looked at that before. That's the edge pro

If you go the edge, is tilted upwards and the knife edges on rich photos are also raised when in relation to the posts, they are not parallel. If you read his description, it says knife edges have to angled 90 degrees. I read this somewhere on his page

I haven't had tune this thing in like 3 weeks since I figured out how to tune properly.
As I said in the other thread, please start to take the advice that you receive with a little more openness. There are many folks here who have literally forgotten more about setting up these guitars than you know at this point. Look at the photos again, look in detail, note the differences and, if you feel able, make the changes. EVERYTHING you need to know is on Rich's site. The link is there, the photos of your trem are there.
CaptNasty likes this.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I just wanted to know if once the ESP arming adjuster is installed, if the bridge height then can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the screws without any issues or would the stabilizer affect this
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 07:51 PM

Haven't read all the posts so forgive, but yes your bridge angle is way off and leaning forward far too much. It should be level, the knife edge itself as seen from the side.
CaptNasty likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode