My custom built JS-6 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

My custom built JS-6

Hey All,

I posted this on the Project Guitar website, but I thought you guys might be interested in checking out my home built JS-6 guitar as well. There are a few custom mods like the all-access neck joint. Here is a link to some pictures:

http://www.pariah-now.com/finshed_js6.htm

Some day I'd like to play a real JS-6 and see how close I got. This one sounds sweet. Here are the complete specs:

Birdseye maple neck with slightly thicker than wizard profile and slightly thicker on the thumb side for comfort. 1/8 in allen nut, double-action Hot Rod truss rod adjustable at the headstock. Four coats of Minwax tung oil rubbed out with 0000 steel wool. Neck attached with 4 gold recessed ferrules.

25.5 in scale length, 22 fret rosewood fretboard with abalone inlays, abalone side dots with custom "triple side dot" at the 12th fret and Dunlop 6105 frets. Hand-rolled fretboard edges. Fretboard polished to a high gloss with 0000 steel wool and lemon oiled.

Graphtech nut and black metal string retainer bar.

Black Planet Waves auto-trim tuners with 18:1 tuning ratio.

2-piece honduran mahogany body with custom all-access neck pocket. Angled side output jack. Standard black strap buttons. Body prepared with 12 coats of Minwax tung oil rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and finished with a coat of Minwax finishing wax to give an edible sheen to the mahogany.

Hum-Hum configuration with black humbucker rings containing a Dimarzio PAF Joe in the neck and Fred in the bridge position. Rear routed control cavity with custom mahogany stained flame maple control cover held with 4 gold screws. Black volume and tone controls with black 3-way toggle switch (bridge, bridge+neck, neck).

Black Hipshot hardtail bridge with rear string-through body configuration with gold ferrules.

Setup with 1.5 mm action and slight neck relief. Sustains forever and has a sweet meaty growl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Re: My custom built JS-6

Nice guitar!! What do you think about having the neck slightly thicker on the thumb side?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:57 PM

Wow... looks awesome!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 PM

THAT HEADSTOCK IS CRAVING FOR SOME INLAY MAN!!!!! Sweet none the less.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:34 PM

Reviews: 3

With chrome hardware, it would almost be a dead ringer!!
Great Job!!
Josh
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your kind comments. Anyone know how to quote in a reply on the new board? It's not obvious to me.

Anyway, the slightly thicker neck on the thumb side was supposed to be like that of the JS1000 neck. I actually made the neck quite a bit thinner overall. It feels almost like a wizard neck. It feels very nice, especially with the oil finish.

As for inlaying the headstock, I decided anything other than an Ibanez logo would ruin the effect I was going for (i.e. looking just like a JS-6).

I also was going to go for the chrome hardware, but just thought that the black looked too good on the guitar.

If any of you are interested in the process, here is a link to a bunch of progress pictures. Click this link only if you have broadband (or a lot of patience) since there are about 45 pictures on the page:

http://www.pariah-now.com/Guitar%20B...Photos/js6.htm

Thanks again for checking it out.

Best Regards,

Mike.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:56 PM

I'd love to see a matching mahogany overlay on the headstock face.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Vendor

I don't mind when the carpet doesn't match the drapes, as long as it snaps when you pop it
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 11:08 PM

Very nice, I always liked JS6, so I like your custom a lot too.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:55 AM
HDS

Thumbs up Re: My custom built JS-6

Oooo, nummy.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:27 AM

Very very nice dude!

Regards

André

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:49 PM

That's absolutely stunning, i bet it sounds amazing with the volume rolled back with the bridge pup coil tapped
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:25 PM

I am so jealous of your skills, Mike!

I've made a few bodies before, but never a neck!

I wish you were a little closer (I'm in Chicagoland), I'd let you dig my JS-6.
It plays so well, I got rid of all my other JS guitar, and the only one I regret selling
is my Donnie!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Raven. You sold a Donnie? Ouch! I have to admit I've sold a couple of guitars that I wish I had back now that I know better.

I think if you've made a couple of bodies that you'd probably do fine making a neck. It's only about $50 in material to give a try.

Yeah, I'm really, really diggin' the guitar. If your JS-6 sounds like mine, I don't blame you for getting rid of some others. Thanks again for the comments.

Best Regards,

Mike.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 04:35 AM

Thats pretty awesome! I always loved the JS6 too myself.

Tags
abalone inlays , access neck joint , birdseye maple neck , bridge position , bridge pup , chrome hardware , coil tap , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf joe , flame maple , hardtail bridge , mahogany body , maple neck , neck joint , neck relief , paf joe , planet waves , retainer bar , rosewood fretboard , steel wool , strap button , strap buttons , toggle switch , truss rod , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode