Is my "decision" good??? (Jem7DBK) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Is my "decision" good??? (Jem7DBK)

Hi. I have a Ibanez RG 120 now (plays awesome) but it's the cheapest of the RG models and it is time to get me an upgrade! I played the Ibanez (because I wouldn't play anything else except my custom built Kramer Strat) JEM7D and I fell in love with it But the JEM7V is $700 more and I was wondering if the JEM7D is the worst JEM out there? And if it could cover Shred/Blues? The style is a mix of Gary Moore and Steve Vai. Also if I were playing a JEM on stage would I be looked at as a Steve Vai "Ripoff?" I wouldn't think so but opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 07:25 AM

I never wanted to buy a Jem because of the steve vai connection, but now i own one, and love it. The DBK is a nice guitar, unusual and catches the eye. Also seeing as it's not a VWH it should not make you look like a steve vai rip off. Once you've played one, you'll know why.

I wouldn't say it's the worst jem, it's all down to taste. it will still play fantastic and sound great. The only thing that some people have commented on is the neck profile, but that is up to personal taste.

It'll be a world away in terms of playability from what you've got now , also have a look at second hand Jems, not new, but won't be as painfull on the bank account

Good luck!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

I have played it and I was literaly drooling over it :drool: But I was just wondering if it was the "Ugly Duckling" of the Jem's? And also is it made in Kareo or Japan? And could you give me some suggestions for second hand Jem's and prices? I would appreciate it so much. And if anyone has anymore advice please post......

-Mike
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 08:12 AM

Itīs from Japan, canīt say more, never played a JEM...
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:02 AM
EKG

I wondered the same thing about the DBK. Then I traded for one and I love it! I even sent out the neck to be customized with chrome pyramids by LGM. I dig the looks, feel, sound, etc. I recommend it.

As for used, search here on the Jemsite, online auctions and IbanezRules. You can usually find DY's fairly reasonably priced and it is a great guitar.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I was wondering about the DY....is that better than the DBK? And can you get them cheaper than the DBK? Would the DBK or DY fit my style more? My style is a mixure of Steve Vai/Gary Moore (hints the name Shreded Blues ) Thanx
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Either are great at pretty much any electric style, one of the factors in the design remit was versatility.

Neither is really "better", but the DBK has DiMarzio Breed pickups which are designed to give a more classic humbucking sound.

The DBK has a thinner neck than the regular yellow JEM with a maple board which has a JEM neck profile. But, the DBK has the same thin Wizard profile as the neck on the yellow JEM with the vine inlay and rosewood board.

Personally, I'd suggest you try to try them both and go with the one that you like the feel of better. Changing the sound by dropping in new pickups is a lot easier than changing the shape of the neck, or the fingerboard wood etc.

Good luck
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:55 AM

The DBK is sorta like the group Korn: either ya like 'em or ya hate 'em. But even if ya hate 'em ya might end up loving 'em once ya play 'em.

I'm one of the weird ones. I like the DBK better then all the prior Jems because I love chrome, the color black, and skinny necks although I hated it when I first saw it. That 'midnight custard' finish takes getting used to but all it took was for me to play it and I was head over heels in love.

As far as 'look', in my book there's just nothing that looks as hot and ready for shred as the Jem line of guitars. This thing fairly screams "I want to hurt people and I want YOU to help me do it!!!" The DBK specifically is one of the, if not THE, darkest of the Jems. It's evil looking, it's reflective and sucks in light like a sponge at the same time, it just like a guitar you could go into battle with. That last is the truth more then most know. That mate black/shiney glob finish is so easy to care for you won't want to ever have to play a 'nice, flat and shiney' guitar again! Got a ding? Black marker takes care of nearly any damage. Dent? You won't be able to tell between all that enamel conglomeration! Scratch? That must be someone else's guitar! There's nowhere straight enough to get a true scratch!

As far as versatility is concerened, the DBK, just like all the jems, is the most versitile of all the guitars I've ever played. This thing's got playability comming out of it's very pores. Can it play blues? With those Breeds it can! Can it play rock? Wait, you HAVE looked at this thing right? Can it play clean? Does "sweet cream" mean anything to you? Can it thrash? Well, with a trade out of the bridge pickup it will tear your head off!

I personally play an eclectic mix of speed metal, power metal, blues and spacey Pink Floydian type stuff. All I had to do was replace the bridge pickup with a Dimarzio 'Steve's Special' and I was able to cover all that to my liking.

In the end though, it really is a matter of taste. Go arrange to play both and then decide which is right for you.

LJ
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 01:49 PM

The quality is there and pretty much the same as any other Japanese Jem but the lower price reflects more of the production costs. Basswood is cheaper than alder and is also softer-so it's a bit easier on the machinery. The DBK's neck is more of a traditional Ibanez neck Wizard/Super Wizard-whatever and doesn't feel unique to the brand so no special process there. Also the fretboard only has to be drilled for a dot inlay-a lot less labor intensive than vines. I don't know exactly how the finish is done but it appears to me that the body is just painted flat black and they drip gloss black on it. This process would require a lot less time and labor.

Mike 777

Last edited by mike777; 01-12-2011 at 06:57 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 02:12 PM
rvj

RG120 compared to a 7DBK is like a Yugo compared to a Mercedes. The 7DBK will blow the doors off the lesser priced RG line. As far as your questions, both Mike and Pat hit it right on the head. The guitar smokes!!! It can easily handle various types of music such as shred & blues, and also cleans up rather nicely too.

If you're worried about being a Vai rip-off, who really cares what other people think. Most people's opinions are sh*t anyway. When I bought my first Jem, I was aware of the whole Vai connection. After I played the 7VWH... I was hooked. The price difference between the 7D and the 7V is because of the little extras and should not be confused with quality. Both are made in Japan and are top notch guitars. It's not like we're talking about the 555 Jem Jr, which is made in Korea like the cheaper Ibanez'.

Just go for it.....
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 03:42 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike777
The quality is there and pretty much the same as any other Japanese Jem but the lower price reflects more of the production costs. Basswood is cheaper than alder and is also softer-so it's a bit easier on the machinery. The DBK's neck is more of a traditional Ibanez neck Wizard/Super Wizard-whatever and doesn't feel unique to the brand so no special process there. Also the fretboard only has to be drilled for a dot inlay-a lot less labor intensive than vines. I don't know exactly how the finish is done but it appears to me that the body is just painted flat black and they drip gloss black on it. This process would require a lot less time and labor.

Mike 777 Haug
There is other cost cutting involved too. The DBK body is made of about 6 pieces of 1x, where a V body is made of 2 pieces of 2x.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:07 PM

Quote:
RG120 compared to a 7DBK is like a Yugo compared to a Mercedes

I didn't expect that anybody knows Yugo in this forum. Do you agree Neven?
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:11 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
The DBK body is made of about 6 pieces of 1x, where a V body is made of 2 pieces of 2x.
Can you explain, please? I am intrigued
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:16 PM
Vendor

Jeez, thought you built stuff?!?!

glue 6 pieces of 1x together to get the width and thickness. A V body is full thickness, but 2 pieces to get the width.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:21 PM
EKG

That's what I thought. I didn't know that the DBK was made that way. I either use 2 piece, as mentioned, or a silid piece if I can find some decent stuff that is tuned to 440

Tags
alder bodied , bridge pickup , dimarzio breed , dot inlay , ebony board , fingerboard wood , gary moore , ibanez neck , jem neck , jem neck profile , pink floyd , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , rosewood board , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode