My DNA got a new neck - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
My DNA got a new neck

Hey folks, feel free to flip out on me for this... but I replaced the neck on my DNA. *Nothing really wrong with the old one, just too thin, wanted an ebony board and a little cooler inlay. *So this is what I found.

More pics:
Pic 3
pic 4
Pic 5

I'd say the neck is a good 3mm thicker... feels like more of a "U" shape as well. *The fretboard is a huge difference, about 3mm of ebony. *Vast improvement (for me). *Inlays are absolutely beautiful. *You have to see them to believe it. *As far as tone goes, it's a bit heavier of a sound. *Not much change on the distorted tone... but a deeper clean sound, which is nice. *If you use the bridge pickup, there is not as much overpowering high end, slightly more balanced out. *Not a huge difference, but enough to notice. *Frets are taller and thicker than the DNA ones, pretty much the same frets as a BSB or VWH, but just a hair thicker. *Nowhere near the extra jumbo ones you'd see on an RG though. *As far as installation, it was real easy... but I'm going to have to fill the holes in the neck heel and redrill... it's about 1-2 mm off...so the string can slip off on the treble side if you're not careful. *No problem, that is an easy fix and should be taken care of tonight. *All and all, very much worth it. *Thanks Glen. *I promise more detailed pictures and more comments in the future, but I just wanted to get some quick snapshots up before I take the thing apart again.

Also, I plan to do some sort of design on the headstock, but not just yet. *It will be a surprise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 07:07 PM

My DNA got a new neck

That's sweet! The disappearing pyramid looks great with the swirl. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 07:21 PM

My DNA got a new neck

Hmmmmmm, whatch doin with the DNA neck??? *I've got a couple projects that could use that neck
Jeremy
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 07:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
My DNA got a new neck

Whoa... that looks great! Stunning!

It's a shame Ibanez has changed the Jem neck profile, as many of us much prefer the old style, as this neck was modeled after. *Enjoy ... glen
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 02:38 PM

Reviews: 1
My DNA got a new neck

Vaccuum your room young man !

And next time your in the area, drop off that DNA neck, I have a Jem Project guitar that could use it.

Seriously I like the look of it, kinda kewl, and unexpected.
Bamm
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

My DNA got a new neck

hehehe... thanks guys. *

Jeremy and Bamm - I was kinda bored, so I sawed the neck directly down the middle (the long way). *One of you can have the treble side, one can have the bass side. *It'll go for $250 a half.

Hahahahaha. *I redrilled the neck holes and all that, so it plays a lot better. *Yes indeed.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 02:11 AM

My DNA got a new neck

SOLD! I have plenty of super glue
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 06:37 PM

My DNA got a new neck

Does anyone have a feel of what this does to the value/collectability of this DNA? ... I mean.. since this is essentially only half the original package? *
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

My DNA got a new neck

Quote:
Quote: from dacmo on 5:37 pm on April 3, 2001
Does anyone have a feel of what this does to the value/collectability of this DNA? ... I mean.. since this is essentially only half the original package? *
That is an interesting question. *Personally, I don't care. *In my opinion, the guitar looks/plays TONS better, so even if it's worth $5 now, I'm still happy. *
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 06:46 PM
Vendor

My DNA got a new neck

Absolutely nothing as long as no alterations were made to the body and original neck, and neck is reinstalled of course.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 07:01 PM

My DNA got a new neck

Well, I suppose there's no point having a guitar that you hate playing. So, in terms of worth to the owner, a quick mod is worth more. Congrats Jay.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 07:46 PM

My DNA got a new neck

hey jay...where'd you get the neck...did you get it custom made or is it from another model? ...looks very nice!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 09:24 PM

My DNA got a new neck

Quote:
Quote: from jay ratkowski on 6:39 pm on April 3,
That is an interesting question. *Personally, I don't care. *In my opinion, the guitar looks/plays TONS better, so even if it's worth $5 now, I'm still happy. *
I'll give you at least $10 for it, :biggrin:

It does look hot though. *Nice guitar, now I just need you to send me the DNA neck so I can make my own DNA

Jeremy
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

My DNA got a new neck

Andrew -
I got it from Glen... I am pretty certain he got it from Harper's. *
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 03:29 AM

My DNA got a new neck

Looks great Jay. You should send the new neck to Darren and let him swirl the head in the same colors ( no blood tho )

Tags
bridge pickup , distorted tone , ebony board , jem neck , jem neck profile , jem project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode