My DY Restoration - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

My DY Restoration

Well, after a lot of procrastinating, today I finally got around to starting to restore my 777dy I bought a couple months ago. I've posted pics of her up before, but Ill post them again to show what I started with. Ill keep updating pics of my progress as I go too.

Here's what I started with, previously owned and refinished by a member here, charv712.

Airbrush job of Elizabeth Banks

I was unsure of which method I should try to remove the top layer of clear and the airbrush job, but I decided sanding would be the easiest and least destructive of my options. I started on the back of the lower horn and found that sanding worked surprisingly well. I kept going and after an hour and a half of careful sanding by hand, this is where I am:

At the pace its going its going to take a long time to finish removing the paint, but Im fine with that as long as I can kept the DY intact as I have be able to do so far.

After I remove the airbrush all Im going to need to do is get some pink pups and green knobs, so if anyone has those check out my classifieds ad or shoot me a PM.

Also, hopefully someone can answer this question, how should I go about removing the paint on the pickguard? I feel like sanding it would scratch the pickguard too much. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ill keep updating on my progress as I go. Back to work now!

Last edited by Jeminizer; 07-04-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:16 AM

Reviews: 11
Re: My DY Restoration

Dude..... that's gonna take some time, but it's time you'll love to spend working on it. It's a nice airbrush design but I'd definately take the old DY color over that design anyway. If you've gotten that far on the horn without damaging it at all then you're pretty safe in the knowledge you'll be able to do the whole thing that way. It'll be great to see when you've finished it mate.

Keep us posted.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:32 AM

Looking good so far, I'm also excited to see the progress.

About the pickguard, my first suggestion would be to try and bend the pickguard as much as you can without braking it, and hope that the paint will sort of chip off or flake off enough to where you can peel the rest off. If that doesn't work, I don't necessarily know if sanding will. Sure you can get all the paint off, but it would be pretty difficult to get that original factory shine. I think your best bet may just be buying a new guard
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1i2f3 View Post
Looking good so far, I'm also excited to see the progress.

If that doesn't work, I don't necessarily know if sanding will. Sure you can get all the paint off, but it would be pretty difficult to get that original factory shine. I think your best bet may just be buying a new guard
Yeah thats what I was worried about. Im going to try to save it, but if I end up ruining it Ill just buy another. Would paint thinner damage the guard? I know it would take the paint right off but not sure what it would do to the guard.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminizer View Post
Yeah thats what I was worried about. Im going to try to save it, but if I end up ruining it Ill just buy another. Would paint thinner damage the guard? I know it would take the paint right off but not sure what it would do to the guard.
Thinners will destroy the guard for sure......just get a new one.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:10 PM

More than likely the guard was sanded to rough it up so the paint would stick. You should just keep it and the pickup covers together as a set. Wall hanging perhaps?

Your best bet is to just buy a replacement pickguard.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Reviews: 2

I cant believe what Im reading , are you really going to sand that finish back to the original in the hope that you can do some thing with the original paint??? and why dont you just buy a second hand scratch plate off an RG or some thing. if it were a '59 les paul standard' worth a fortune then I could understand you wanting to keep it original.
Good luck with it.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Banned

ive seen that guitar before ages ago.id much rather have it dy than the way it is now
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM

You could try using acetone on the pick guard & you can always get a new one. Maybe get one of the black mirror pick guards. Those rock.

Last edited by zigzulquit; 07-05-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Casting correct spellings
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM

lmao thats such a bizarre finish, then again, Banks is very hot, so I can understand it. You've got some work ahead of you, but at least the original finish is under there.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy mills View Post
I cant believe what Im reading , are you really going to sand that finish back to the original in the hope that you can do some thing with the original paint??? and why dont you just buy a second hand scratch plate off an RG or some thing. if it were a '59 les paul standard' worth a fortune then I could understand you wanting to keep it original.
Good luck with it.
Yes, I am (or at least trying to). And at the moment I think Im succeeding pretty well. Ill be posting some more pics later on how far I got today as Im nearly done with the back. The DY was preserved extraordinarily well, especially compared to what I was expecting, so Im thinking that it will turn out fine. Not quite like it was originally, but still better than the airbrush job to me.

And with the scratch plate, i wasnt asking because I wanted to keep it original. I was just wondering so I could save a buck or two (Im not made of money you know ) and not have to deal with the wait period/ hastle of finding one. Another case of "I might as well try". Ill probably end up buying a replacement in the end.
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 05:59 PM

I'm going to look around. I may have a spare RG/JEM pickguard floating around somewhere...
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: My DY Restoration

I seen this for sale a few months ago 700.00 was it? I was going to do the exact same thing , but my patience wouldn;t have been as good as your's. I hope to see it finished and i thank you for saving a great guitar.If you mess it up to where you dont want it give me a shout.
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Time for the daily update!

I decided that I would try out my electric sander today, after I got frustrated with the pace I was going. And too my great joy, it works marvelously. I just have to use the right grit sandpaper and the right time, and be quite a bit more careful (i learned this the hard way), but I can work MUCH quicker. Heres after my work today:

Although I could work alot faster, I did have a few "Oh, S***!" moments. The worst of them being the spot I got down to the wood near the neck joint and the spots on the bottom that look burned. The wood spot happened when I tried to sand the joint without thinking properly, and ended up going through the paint on the edge. Needless to say I left the joint alone until another day.

I also figured out that friction can make things hot! Lol . Thats what happened on those spots; the sander just got to hot and again I wasnt paying attention. However, none of these imperfections really bother me; Im not going for perfect, and they will make me think of the work Im doing every time I see them. Im just glad Im learning as I go and that I decided to do the back first because I realized that the things that give me the most trouble are edges and curves, and luckily the front is for the most part flat. We'll see how the rest goes!
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
I'm going to look around. I may have a spare RG/JEM pickguard floating around somewhere...
That would be great if you could find one. Just let me know if you do and I would be happy to buy it off of you.

Tags
777dy , jem , restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode