My evilbay Jem777VSK: Shipping from USA to UK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Dee

My evilbay Jem777VSK: Shipping from USA to UK

Hey guys I just snagged a JEM777VSK last night on evilbay. I now have to get it shipped from the USA to the UK and I am wondering what's the most cost effective method. Did any of you have a guitar shipped to the UK? If so, what method of shipping was used and how much did it cost? I have been given a quote fromt the seller for $254, this includes insurance and it's a very fast delivery service, but it's too much. He's flexable though, and he suggested that if I need a different shipping method to contact him. That's why I need your help. Any advice? I wanna keep this shipping price as low as possible but without compromising the guitar's safety. I'm sure you understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Re: My evilbay Jem777VSK: Shipping from USA to UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeswift
Hey guys I just snagged a JEM777VSK last night on evilbay. I now have to get it shipped from the USA to the UK and I am wondering what's the most cost effective method. Did any of you have a guitar shipped to the UK? If so, what method of shipping was used and how much did it cost? I have been given a quote fromt the seller for $254, this includes insurance and it's a very fast delivery service, but it's too much. He's flexable though, and he suggested that if I need a different shipping method to contact him. That's why I need your help. Any advice? I wanna keep this shipping price as low as possible but without compromising the guitar's safety. I'm sure you understand.
Try USPS I heard they can do it for $85 roughly and it takes about a week.

Regards

André

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Vendor

Straight airmail, but insured will run you $100 and a week is a pipe dream. More like 2-3 as customs could care less how efficiently they're cleared.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM

I think via Fedex with full insurance my Jem cost around $120, and it was with me in aboot a week.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Dee

Thanks guys, this is helpful as I can suggest the various options to him. Those figures seem a little more in my ballpark. Cheers.

To Andelusion: Did you get any additional costs on top of that, any tax?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 04:59 PM

Tax is about 22% in all (17.5% VAT plus some Euro bollox tax!). Plus if it's shipped via USPS, it'll be delivered by Parcel Force, I always get charged a clearance fee by them of around £10-£25 depending on the value. Another bull**** "tax"!
As others have stated, USPS is around the $120 mark and "should" take a week, but don't be surprised if it takes up to three
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Dee

OK, I'll bear that in mind, Gurj. Thanks.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Reviews: 10
Question Re: My evilbay Jem777VSK: Shipping from USA to UK

That VSK from the bay kinda looked like a fake to me! paint was horrible and the pups aren't right they were black!!! but good luck with it...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Dee

I doubt very highly that it's fake. Pickups can be replaced easily, respray, new hardware, and it'd be like new.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 08:59 PM

If you get it refinished, post some pics.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 11:59 PM

Is that the same VSK that guy kept on listing over and over? If it was then those were some poor ass photos, I hope he took some better ones for you before you bought it..
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 12:27 AM

Congrats! Nice score. Pics would be cool.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Dee

Ummm... slight change of plan. I had to pull out of the deal. After giving this a lot of thought, the shipping, tax and additional fees, plus the cost of actually restoring the guitar would be more than I can afford. Over here, you NEVER see this model selling, it's very rare, but to get it back to original condition would cost me well in excess of £500. I just can't do it. I feel really bad about it too, and most likely the guy is pissed at me. I think he'd have less of a problem selling it if he replaced the pickups with some pink PAF Pro's, took better photos, and maybe got it resprayed to the original colour.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:52 PM

Sorry to hear that.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeswift
Ummm... slight change of plan. I had to pull out of the deal. After giving this a lot of thought, the shipping, tax and additional fees, plus the cost of actually restoring the guitar would be more than I can afford. Over here, you NEVER see this model selling, it's very rare, but to get it back to original condition would cost me well in excess of £500. I just can't do it. I feel really bad about it too, and most likely the guy is pissed at me. I think he'd have less of a problem selling it if he replaced the pickups with some pink PAF Pro's, took better photos, and maybe got it resprayed to the original colour.
Good move Dee

I looked at that one too. I passed big time

Ask him about the one on the left in the last photo! Maybe he'll be nicer to you than he was to me

Tags
horsie wah , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode