My first gig - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
yeah dude, ease up! did i harm you in another life? if i did, i'm sorry. but for here and the now..... i think you need to chill.

read it again....we jammed with them. we did the blues thing. people in the audience egged us on cuz they saw our pedals on stage. so we went for it. turns out they loved that stuff more.

i'm not conceited and you don't know me. if i ever got better than VAI i would still think i sucked. i'm very modest and don't need to feed anything except my stomach.

is it me, or did someone else post a similar thing above....nah, i'm imagining things.
Eh....wrong. Your post, in summation came to "I rock and open-mic blues musicians and bar owners that support that are dicks".

There's a certain amount of respect for any genre of music which I hold sacred, the blues especially because it has become such an underground thing seperate from pretty much every other genre. The assertion of your ego in your posts wildly violates even the most basic of premises of such.

Additionally I go to open mic blues nights pretty often locally and see it happen now and again; some kid with a chip on his shoulder shows up with a pointy guitar and feels its his birthright to get up on stage and show his inability and unwillingness to adapt to the situation. And while his chops may be amazing his inability to comprehend what is proper and respectful show he is indeed a guitar player, but not a musician.

You respect those that run and play the open mic nights. They do it tirelessly every damned week and with little to no thanks. They get up and do it when they're sick, when they're tired, when they don't want to even be there they provide a place for the blues to prosper, an important thing considering the state of modern music.

No, you didn't harm me in another life....but you disrespected something I hold pretty sacred in this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 01:01 PM

Although I think that Skarekrough's response may have been worded a bit harshly, I completely agree with his point. If it's a blues open-stage, you simply do NOT shred. The owner was correct in pulling the plug. I've been running and playing at a variety of open-stages for the past 10 years, and each location has a "family" of regulars that are there every week, religiously. They are there for the love of the genre of music that is performed at the individual open stages. By pulling the plug on your shredding, the owner was most likely acting in the best interest of his establishment by keeping the regulars happy. That's the basis of his business.

There are a ton of clubs that have rock open-stages or just "open" stages where anything goes. However, it doesn't sound like you were at one of those. I guess it just comes down to etiquette. If you're at a blues jam, play blues. If you're at a country jam, play country. There's a reason it's called a "blues" open-stage: it is designed to center around that genre, and that genre only. Also, another part of open-stage etiquette would be to make do with the equipment that is present. Normally those who show up with their own amps and a string of pedals are the ones who's names get moved on the sign-up list so that they don't get to play until the very end of the night. It's not a gig-it's an open-stage. If you're any good at all, the amplifier that you're playing through won't even be a factor.

Just my $.02 worth though.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 02:55 PM

well, this topic appears to already be beaten to death, but i gotta defend taking an UV to a blues jam. Just because a "traditional" blues tone is best found with a strat or LP plugged into a fender amp doesn't mean EVERY tone used in a blues context needs to come from that, and sound like that. If you're trying to get a SRV tone out of a UV, then by all means toss it and grab the strat. However, if the tone of the UV happens to be what you're "hearing" in a blues context, then god, don't pass on it just because the image is wrong. My biggest problem with the contemporary blues scene is that 99% of the guys out there are trying to sound exactly like Stevie ray or Buddy Guy or one of the other "traditional" electric players. If this trend continues, we might as well lay blues as a genre to rest, because we're breaking no new ground. I personally find Satch's blues playing mych more interesting than Kenny Wayne Shephards, even though shepherd plays pentatonic and dominant arpeggio licks on a beat up strat into something vaguely fendery-sounding, while satch plays a chrome ibanez into a marshall, and plays over-the-top legato runs. Why? not because i prefer the "speed" or "tone" of satch, but because i think Satriani's doing something that represents a step forward for the blues. I'll take "House Full of Bullets" or "New Blues" anyday over anything off "Trouble Is..."

That said, watch out for the band i'm trying to put together... Hendrix-y blues with hip-hop drum and bass, and maybe even a turntable or two.

-Drew

Tags
angus young , blues jam , combo amp , eddie van halen , fender strat , les paul , ray vaughan , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , ted nugent , tube amp , tube amps , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode