My first gig - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

My first gig

AH my first gig with my uv77bk

I finally got the chance to gig with my uv77bk it was at a local under21 club where they have kindof an open mike night every friday night. well i brought my gearup there and found out that they didnt want me to use my own amp(warp 7 H&K love it !!). apparently they were intimidated by how big it was and thought i was gunna play too loud so i plugged into the house amp(fender something or other 2x12). so i ran my signal through a morely wah and a boss metal distortion and did my best to play boogey man by ken burtch(ot too good but they liked it. and then i asked if anyone wanted me to play anything. after playing the usual nirvana and aven a few country songs a guy in the audience asked me to play voodoo child. now i dun no what you guys think but im not a henderix fan i hate the guy, and i think via is prolly the best guitar player around, but stevie ray vaughan has to be the closest thing to an idle when it comes to guitar . so i clicked on my morely wah and flipped my oickup selector to 4 and played my heart out. i got alot of shiznit from the guitar player guys there saying you cant play blues on a 7-tstring but i had like 10 people come up to me and say how much i sounded like stevie or how great i sounded. the moral of this story, anyone who says that you have to play a strat or a les paul to play the blues is full of it you can get up on stage with a worlock and still have the best tone in the world and the crowd dont give what your guitar looks like its the feeling you put into your playing

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 11:39 PM

Congrats on the new guitar and your 1st show with it. A couple of years back, I started going to this dingy blues bar on the Sunday open mike night where you could play with the house band. These guys were mostly 40-50 yrs. old playing Strats, Teles, & LPs through Music Man and Fender tube amps. Finally, I mustered up the courage to bring my rig and asked to play. They said sure. So I start setting up my SOLIDSTATE 1/2 stack & I could feel their eyes upon me like they were vultures circling dead meat. Anyway, I pull out my UV777BK & they looked at it intensely. Then the questions started:
What's wrong with yer geetar?
What's that extra string for?
How do you tune that "thing"?
What's that "bar thing" on your bridge do?
Do you know how to play blues?

The 1st song starts and I'm scared to death. I never get nervous in my metal band, but this was a TOTALLY different atmosphere. Halfway through the 1st song, I got "THE NOD" from the rhythm player. Nervously, I took my 1st solo. I played some standard pentatonic runs & thought my solo was coming to an end. However, I guess they liked it & told me to keep going. That was a vote of confidence to me & that's when I busted out "the chops"! Finally, they understood what that "bar thing" on my bridge was for & they found out about tapping also! When I got done, a huge roar of applause erupted & that's when I knew the night was gonna be a WHOLE lotta fun! 3 hours of playing later, the night drew to a close. The guys, once fearful of so-called untraditional blues gear and playing, were totally cool. I played off and on with them for 2 years. I still run into them periodically & we're like the best of friends to this day.

Ahh I love showing old dogs that new tricks ain't a bad thing.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 10:51 AM

LOL It's always fun to take an Ibanez to a blues club

I started off playing in a blues band about 11 years ago, and did that for 4 years or so. I relished the looks on people's faces when I showed up to gigs with a couple of JEM's. But, when playing a 4-hour gig of all blues material, I found that using different guitars helped keep it a little more interesting. I never did take my UV out, but I still haven't gotten used to the 7th string either. I'm sure that that really would have gotten some odd looks!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 02:37 AM

good on ya guys!! It takes a bit of balls to get up and play with guys you don't know or haven't played with before

I'm facing the same situation - i've gonna start looking/replying to band advertisements looking for a guitarist.......
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 01:49 PM

I tend to find that people are much more receptive to an instrument and are willing to ignore the stereotype if you play tastefully. I always get quiet dissent with my 7's until after the set and then I usually have to field a few questions about it.

With that said a Jem is a Jem...and a UV is a UV...you can do dodgy impressions of whoever you want to but there's definetley something to be said for having the right tool for the right job. Faking it can only go so far and can only work so well for so long.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 05:20 AM

Not to get confrontational...but who's to say a UV in a blues band is not the right tool for the job? Granted, it's not the blues standard, but if it gets me the sound, works for me & not AGAINST me, then that's the right tool for the job. Remember when Ted Nugent used a Gibson Byrdland for a rock n roll band? That's a jazz box! Hell, I even saw a dude using a pink Jem in a dance music cover band!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 01:19 PM

Or how about playing PANTERA or SLAYER on a very pretty looking FP???
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
Not to get confrontational...but who's to say a UV in a blues band is not the right tool for the job? Granted, it's not the blues standard, but if it gets me the sound, works for me & not AGAINST me, then that's the right tool for the job. Remember when Ted Nugent used a Gibson Byrdland for a rock n roll band? That's a jazz box! Hell, I even saw a dude using a pink Jem in a dance music cover band!
For some a UV may get the sound and tone they're looking for. But typically when youre looking for a certain sound and tone you tend to go with the actual tools that originally made that sound and tone.

Jems and UVs have some great Strat "quack" to them....but they're not a Strat and tonally there are just some things that they're not going to perfectly replicate. For example the equipped pickups are made to break up alot quicker than those found on a Fender Strat. Tonally this will effect the sound; a guitar player will have to hit a Strat alot harder than a UV to get it to do that and, thusly tonally it won't be perfect. I admit this is a minor thing and a player can adapt their style and playing to this, but it isn't authentic.

You don't have to have a certain axe to play a certain style.....but there is a certain authenticity that folks do tend to strive for.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
Congrats on the new guitar and your 1st show with it. A couple of years back, I started going to this dingy blues bar on the Sunday open mike night where you could play with the house band. These guys were mostly 40-50 yrs. old playing Strats, Teles, & LPs through Music Man and Fender tube amps. Finally, I mustered up the courage to bring my rig and asked to play. They said sure. So I start setting up my SOLIDSTATE 1/2 stack & I could feel their eyes upon me like they were vultures circling meat. Anyway, I pull out my UV777BK & they looked at it intensely. Then the questions started:
What's wrong with yer geetar?
What's that extra string for?
How do you tune that "thing"?
What's that "bar thing" on your bridge do?
Do you know how to play blues?

The 1st song starts and I'm scared to . I never get nervous in my metal band, but this was a TOTALLY different atmosphere. Halfway through the 1st song, I got "THE NOD" from the rhythm player. Nervously, I took my 1st solo. I played some standard pentatonic runs & thought my solo was coming to an end. However, I guess they liked it & told me to keep going. That was a vote of confidence to me & that's when I busted out "the chops"! Finally, they understood what that "bar thing" on my bridge was for & they found out about tapping also! When I got done, a huge roar of applause erupted & that's when I knew the night was gonna be a WHOLE lotta fun! 3 hours of playing later, the night drew to a close. The guys, once fearful of so-called untraditional blues gear and playing, were totally cool. I played off and on with them for 2 years. I still run into them periodically & we're like the best of friends to this day.

Ahh I love showing old dogs that new tricks ain't a bad thing.
Sounds kinda like when I played metal on my strat with single coils!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 06:07 PM

revsharp777 reminds me of a story. a friend of mine and good guitarist talked me into doing a blues open-mike with him. me and him on guitars and 40-50 year olds on drums, keys, bass. it was a smaller type bar on the river about 30 min's from home. so we are finally called and the bassist says for us to use their fender amps...WHAT? YEAH RIGHT. if i have to use suk tone, i won't play well. these amps were garbage. luckily i had my combo amp. so, i didn't have a jem yet....this was like 8 years ago. i had a jackson and so did he. the bassist goes B flat....go! OH MY GOD! i don't know much about theory since i play by ear....i fit theory but i don't know the modes and all scales, etc etc. so i freak, hit some flat notes, but the drunk chicks are still cheerin'. after about 10 min's of that blues stuff...........

mike gives me the nod and we go off...... george lynch meets metallica type stuff. it was really damn good. the people there loved it!!!! after a minute our power gets cut off. the owner/drummer pulled the plug on us. after pulling the plug on us, literally, he walked up to us and said...."that was good but not in my bar." he was PO'd !! so i packed up my guitar and with my tail between my legs, was greeted by a hot waitress. she said we were great and not to worry about him...he's a jerk. that was the last open mic open jam improv i ever did. i totally hate improv!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
revsharp777 reminds me of a story. a friend of mine and good guitarist talked me into doing a blues open-mike with him. me and him on guitars and 40-50 year olds on drums, keys, bass. it was a smaller type bar on the river about 30 min's from home. so we are finally called and the bassist says for us to use their fender amps...WHAT? YEAH RIGHT. if i have to use suk tone, i won't play well. these amps were garbage. luckily i had my combo amp. so, i didn't have a jem yet....this was like 8 years ago. i had a jackson and so did he. the bassist goes B flat....go! OH MY GOD! i don't know much about theory since i play by ear....i fit theory but i don't know the modes and all scales, etc etc. so i freak, hit some flat notes, but the drunk chicks are still cheerin'. after about 10 min's of that blues stuff...........

mike gives me the nod and we go off...... george lynch meets metallica type stuff. it was really damn good. the people there loved it!!!! after a minute our power gets cut off. the owner/drummer pulled the plug on us. after pulling the plug on us, literally, he walked up to us and said...."that was good but not in my bar." he was PO'd !! so i packed up my guitar and with my tail between my legs, was greeted by a hot waitress. she said we were great and not to worry about him...he's a jerk. that was the last open mic open jam improv i ever did. i totally hate improv!
So...let me get this straight....you showed up to an event, turned down gear that would of made you tone, to some extent, sound correct for the music, proceeded to go off and do something completely different than what is expected from someone sitting in with the band, and the owners a jerk for pulling the plug on you?

It sounds more to me like you were more interested in getting on an ego-platform more than anything. Your lack of respect for a long-standing musical tradition is, at best, appalling and your inability to comprehend why and to place blame on someone else for it is pathetic.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 11:30 AM

Reviews: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
So...let me get this straight....you showed up to an event, turned down gear that would of made you tone, to some extent, sound correct for the music, proceeded to go off and do something completely different than what is expected from someone sitting in with the band, and the owners a jerk for pulling the plug on you?

It sounds more to me like you were more interested in getting on an ego-platform more than anything. Your lack of respect for a long-standing musical tradition is, at best, appalling and your inability to comprehend why and to place blame on someone else for it is pathetic.
Wow... ease up bro. He was just sharing a story. FWIW- I love my Fender amp for playing shred. I plug my pream into it. I get distortion, but also an amazing clean channel.

Speaking of looking odd at a gig, I showed up to play for my church in a suit and tie. Then pulled out my fire-engine red RG to play for the church. I had been invited to play lead over a Rich Mullins song. The pastor told me during rehearsal, "make sure you turn up the fuzz so it sounds like Eddie Van Halen!". I did.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
The pastor told me during rehearsal, "make sure you turn up the fuzz so it sounds like Eddie Van Halen!". I did.

I always said Eddie's playing was Godlike!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 12:55 PM

yeah dude, ease up! did i harm you in another life? if i did, i'm sorry. but for here and the now..... i think you need to chill.

read it again....we jammed with them. we did the blues thing. people in the audience egged us on cuz they saw our pedals on stage. so we went for it. turns out they loved that stuff more.

i'm not conceited and you don't know me. if i ever got better than VAI i would still think i sucked. i'm very modest and don't need to feed anything except my stomach.

is it me, or did someone else post a similar thing above....nah, i'm imagining things.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough

Wow... ease up bro. He was just sharing a story. FWIW- I love my Fender amp for playing shred. I plug my pream into it. I get distortion, but also an amazing clean channel.

Speaking of looking odd at a gig, I showed up to play for my church in a suit and tie. Then pulled out my fire-engine red RG to play for the church. I had been invited to play lead over a Rich Mullins song. The pastor told me during rehearsal, "make sure you turn up the fuzz so it sounds like Eddie Van Halen!". I did.
ZThe humor of your post was that I mis-read it the first time and thought you had put "SG" instead of "RG". Coupling a RG with someone wearing a suit (visions of Angus Young) and playing in a church is my little bizzare vision for the morning.

Tags
angus young , blues jam , combo amp , eddie van halen , fender strat , les paul , ray vaughan , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , ted nugent , tube amp , tube amps , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode