my first guitar refinish,lmk what you think - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

my first guitar refinish,lmk what you think

well, this is my first refinish, not clear coated yet, and i have a little fine detail to do, lmk what you think so far, i will post more pictures when i am finished

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 AM

Re: my first guitar refinish,lmk what you think

i like the look but did you do the black lines in sharpie?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 AM

I think he did... I like the natural finish, but I bet bet it looks nicer without the sharpie. I hope the ink didn't bleed too deep into the surface if you change your mind.

Did you use a ruler or a square or anything? The front doesn't look too bad but the back looks like it trails off a bit.

Reminds me of a prestige finish a bit.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckscow View Post
I think he did... I like the natural finish, but I bet bet it looks nicer without the sharpie.

Did you use a ruler or a square or anything?
it could have been a black stain pen, but i doubt it, otherwise it looks ok.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 AM

The ink in the pickup cavity is why I was thinking sharpie, but I'm probably wrong lol

Bottom line, if you like it that's all that matters, it'll still shred no matter what it looks like :P
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

yes.. it was a sharpie, but the dark brown stain in some parts leaked into the brownish amber stripe, best thing i could think of doing was trying to mesh the line with a sharpie
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbamman View Post
yes.. it was a sharpie, but the dark brown stain in some parts leaked into the brownish amber stripe, best thing i could think of doing was trying to mesh the line with a sharpie
you need to go to the store and buy some blue painters tape for tapeing off walls and such and then put down it down both sides of the black stripe then spray some flat black spray paint down the line and it will look killer, and when you clear it, it will look ridiculously badass.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjakob69 View Post
you need to go to the store and buy some blue painters tape for tapeing off walls and such and then put down it down both sides of the black stripe then spray some flat black spray paint down the line and it will look killer, and when you clear it, it will look ridiculously badass.
I second that :P
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckscow View Post
I second that :P
i agree
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

that is a pretty good idea, but there is one problem, im just not happy with the way its going right now, so i decided to start over, how do i go about stripping off the old stain? or lighten it enough to re stain it, im going to do the same general thing, just do a better job, any ideas?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
that is a pretty good idea, but there is one problem, im just not happy with the way its going right now, so i decided to start over, how do i go about stripping off the old stain? or lighten it enough to re stain it, im going to do the same general thing, just do a better job, any ideas?
you have to go to your local hardware store and get the stuff for stripping decks and it will tear all that stain right off the guitar.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

what stuff is that, and how long should i wait until doing it, i applyed the last coat today, and im unhappy how it turned out
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
what stuff is that, and how long should i wait until doing it, i applyed the last coat today, and im unhappy how it turned out
it comes in a square gallon container, i am not sure of the name but if you want that stain to come off well i would strip that badboy no later then tomorrow because it will really begin to soak into the wood, sanding will also get rid of it but you will need an orbital and be very careful with it. the stuff you want is made by a company Thompson i think i dunno cant think of it off the top of my head.........you could also try turpentine just don't light a match near it for a while lol.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

guitar body is now sanded to bare wood, i will apply 1st stain tomorrow, will post more pics, thanks for tips guys
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 01:32 PM

Awesome, good luck man!

I really need to pick up a JS, been wanting to paint a Desert-Yellow one... be kind of similar to a Gambale model minus those rockin' inlays lol

Tags
js 100 , refinish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode