My First Ibanez...Translucent Red JS100 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

My First Ibanez...Translucent Red JS100

After months of reading the copious amounts of information on this site as well as these forums, I thought I'd offer up my first "mod" post. I recently picked up a 1998 JS100 of off eBay for a song and have spent the last month or so getting to know it.

I'm mostly a hobby player but I've played a Les Paul (recently rehabbed which I'll post pics of in the appropriate forum) for many years and I also have my trusty old 80's Kramer 610 that has seen me through many years of noodling. This is my first Ibanez and I have to say that I absolutely love how this guitar feels. After playing a Les Paul for so long, anything feels light by comparison but this is really a joy to hold and play. The neck is to die for. I like a little more meat on the neck and this has a nice balance of fast yet...what's the word? Supple? I don't know. It just feels right, comfortable, and worn in.

Outside of the feel, there were a couple things that just weren't sitting right with me. The first is the sound of the stock AH1 and AH2 pickups. They're ok but they sounded thin and couldn't quite get the saturation (no pun intended) that I was looking for. I went with the obvious replacements and put in a PAF Joe and Mo' Joe Dimarzio's and am very pleased with the results.

I did a lot of research on this forum as well as other sites and I have to say that I tend to agree with the general sentiment of the Lo-TRS II tremolo. I don't think they are as bad as many people say they are but they do require some finesse to get them set up and to stay in tune. After fighting with a Floyd Rose II on the Kramer for the better part of 25 years, I wasn't daunted by a fight to get it set up right but the deal breaker was that it has the annoying collared trem arm that wobbles and makes noise which drives me insane. In doing research on what to replace it with, knowing I didn't want to do any body work or routing, I discovered that the Lo-TRS, which seemed to be of a higher quality (Japanese) and better stability than the II, would drop right in. I found a black one on eBay for next to nothing which helped me start to address the other issue I had with the guitar; all the chrome. More on that in a moment.

I am very pleased with it thus far. After getting it set up the way I like it, it stays in tune and doesn't have the loud, loose wobble sound due to the fact the trem arm screws directly into the trem block a la a Fender trem. What I like about the Lo-TRS is that it's a perfect drop-in replacement and doesn't leave a huge gap on the low E side the way a Gotoh would. Aesthetically pleasing and looks like it is supposed to be there. A couple shims to match the neck radius and we're all set.

Now, onto the chrome. I think "garish" is the word I'm looking for. It is just too much for me as I like my guitars to be a little more subtle (no offense to the JEM lovers out there. If I played like Vai, it would probably be a different story). The trem swap started it. Next came the tuners, tree, and locking nut. Then the pickup rings, knobs and strap buttons. I like the way it looks now. Subtle.

I will say that I absolutely love this guitar. Very versatile, Very comfortable and a beauty to look at! I hope to step up to the JS1200 in time but likely not until the kids are out of college.

So what's next? I'll be upgrading the block on the Lo-TRS trem. Keith (eBay: Hoockey http://www.ebay.com/usr/hoockey will make a custom one due to the way the block/trem arm are configured on this trem. Once that is done, I think I'll be good to go for quite some time.

I also failed miserably in trying to install a Dimarzio push/pull volume pot with a high pass filter. My miserable soldering skills, coupled with difficulty in reading wiring schematics proved insurmountable...for now. I'll try again in time but I'm living with the regular volume for the time being until I can kill some less expensive electronics on soldering training.

Thanks also to Rich at http://www.IbanezRules.com for sending me some parts so quickly (The Lo-TRS came with the wrong trem arm and was missing some saddle blocks (amongst some other things) and he had them shipped out in no time!

I'd love your feedback and any thoughts you may have. I hope you like it!

Last edited by Jamvan; 12-26-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Fixed embedded pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 PM

Re: My First Ibanez...Translucent Red JS100

Looks great man. Congratulations!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 11:26 PM

Looks very good!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 AM

Reviews: 120

Very nice smart mods. When the neck and body feel just right then it's definitely worth upgrading the other bits, and you've done a good job picking the perfect cos effective bridge replacement. I hope it gives you many years of great playing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I feel a bit sheepish sharing these cosmetic mods compared to all the other incredible work being shared on this site. So many amazing people with impeccable skills!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Looks good man nice job.... I like the black better than the chrome too
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 AM

Cool man. I want to make the same replacement. Did you change the trem posts too? And where did you buy the LOPRO trs? Guess you have to buy a used one right? Thx
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingooen View Post
Cool man. I want to make the same replacement. Did you change the trem posts too? And where did you buy the LOPRO trs? Guess you have to buy a used one right? Thx
I didn't. The Lo-TRS II posts were still in good shape so I am using those. I haven't had any trouble with them thus far but I have the Lo-TRS posts on standby if it ever comes to that.

I found a used one on ebay that I was able to pick up for ~$45 with shipping. Considering the improvement over the Lo-TRS II, it was a bargain.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 PM

This reminded me of my first Ibanez which was a JS100 red translucent. I immediately put Fred and PAF Pro in. I had to replace the arm collar on the TRS II with a Schaller which really help arm stability. It was a decent tremolo but not nearly as good as the original Edge or LP edge.

Sold that guitar on ebay and still miss it because it really sounded great.

Tags
ibanez , js100 , lo-trs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode