My first JEM - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

My first JEM

So I've been wanting a JEM for as long as I can remember and finally, yesterday, I bought a used 7VWH for 1,050.

Cheap, yea, but not necessarily a great buy. The guitar is structurally sound; neck is straight, no cracks except around the output jack, no major dings in the neck. It is still pretty worn, gold plating is wearing off here and there, especially on the bridge.

The dude I bought it from told me he'd already sold his amp, so I couldn't plug it in. That was very convenient for him since it turns out the bridge pickup is defect. It makes sound, but not the kind you expect coming out of a hot humbucker (I have a Dimarzio Evo in another guitar and I know what it sounds like). Rather, it has a thin, whiny sound with no bottom and no signal to speak of.

I am actually considering just buying a full set of new pickups for it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of the originals with the gold plated magnets? I'd also like to get hold of new screws to hold the pickups and the pickguard as the ones on the guitar are rusty.

cheers
RB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 AM

Reviews: 65
Re: My first JEM

You can get the pickups from DiMarzio, but expect to wait for 2-3 months for delivery.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 05:37 AM

I'd rewire it before buying new pickups. Might be a dud wire.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 06:04 AM

Pictures. Get your tech to look at it it may not be wired right or it may of been switched, but does it have the gold poles? Pictures though man!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 PM

I saw them for sale recently on 3bay with the gold poles. brand new set
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM

http://cgi.****.com/DiMarzio-F-space...d=p3286.c0.m14

I'm sure he has more
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 AM

I can personally vouch for BanjoMikez, He is the MAN when it comes to ordering pickups, and hes also mad cool. I have bought numerous pickup sets from him and they have all be perfect, I even had him custom order sets that Dimarzio had to make just for me and got them in a week and a half. But then again, your On The Moon so I don't know if he would ship them to you, due to contractual obligations with DiMarzio I don't think he can go outside the US/Canada. I will not buy brand new pickups from anyone else.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you who responded to the tread. I have finally gotten around to taking pics and resizing them to get them up here.

As you can see, I replaced the fried bridge pickup with a new, stock Evo 159 and the white plastic cover contrasts the faded old ones. I regret not having read all your replies before I hit the **** "buy" button on a set of evo's with black poles. I finally installed the new pickup yesterday and I have to say it sounds great. These pickups are extremely hot and I just love how they feed back even at low volumes. The sustain in this guitar is better than any other guitar I own, although for some reason the old neck 158 pickup seems to give longer sustain/feedback at certain high frets than the new 159 bridge pickup.

The various dings in this guitar are clearly visible in the pictures. I did some rough setup adjustments after I got it; the previous owner had it set up to extremely low action. I raised the action considerably and which to me makes it sound better w/ better sustain, harmonics, etc. It needs slightly more adjustment to make the bridge flow evenly and its intonation is slightly off as well.

Thanks again for your comments guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (82.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (91.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (87.8 KB, 40 views)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Reviews: 2

I just love that aged look

Last edited by D.Vial; 09-28-2008 at 09:13 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

I am trying to post more pics but the site won't let me...

Last edited by rocky.boe; 09-28-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: pics didnt show up
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
You can get the pickups from DiMarzio, but expect to wait for 2-3 months for delivery.
You can get the pickups from me - and expect 2 -3 days delivery...........

Check your wiring - maybe a dodgy switch - not pots as it'd be like that on all pickups......

to me its a simple fix either
1) someones messed with the wiring
2) dodgy switch... dirty(clean it) or defective (replace it)

Its very rare a pickup will break........

Max
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
You can get the pickups from me - and expect 2 -3 days delivery...........

Check your wiring - maybe a dodgy switch - not pots as it'd be like that on all pickups......

to me its a simple fix either
1) someones messed with the wiring
2) dodgy switch... dirty(clean it) or defective (replace it)

Its very rare a pickup will break........

Max
I already replaced the broken one with a new, Evolution 159 pickup with black poles. It sounds killer now.

Given the fact that replacing the pickup solved the problem I am inclined to think it was the pickup gone bad rather than faulty wiring. Moreover, the pickup started to feed back uncontrollably (and not in a good way) even at small volumes. This makes me think it has a loose tread.

I would like to have the pickup repaired to restore the guitar to its original setup if possible. Does anyone know if this can be done?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:41 PM

Who installed the new pickup for you? If it wasn't you then how would you know if it was faulty wiring or not?
dude it was probably faulty wiring(either on the pickup, volume pot, or pickup switch).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:28 PM

Nice score.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarEvan07 View Post
Who installed the new pickup for you? If it wasn't you then how would you know if it was faulty wiring or not?
dude it was probably faulty wiring(either on the pickup, volume pot, or pickup switch).
I installed it.

Tags
7vwh , evo pickups , repairs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode