my first jem (awwww...) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

my first jem (awwww...)

Well, I just recieved my first Jem (it's a JEM7vwh) and I LOVE it. It plays much better than the one that I tried out at guitar center, maybe because it is brand new or maybe because it is mine, I dont' know. Anyway, I was just wondering if there was anything I should know about my Jem that you guys wish you knew before you found out the hard way or just interesting info?

I have noticed that my Jem's neck seems about an inch or so smaller than my other guitars' necks. Am I just imagining this or did Mr. Vai actually design his guitar neck to be smaller than the standard necks?

I am in love with my new Jem! I got it from Matt's Music (a link that I got from you guys), and I want to thank them and JEMSITE.COM for getting me a great deal and great customer service for my new Jem. So...THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 04:55 AM
Vendor

Not knowing if you've had a floating bridge before, but, always stretch new strings *well*, and learn how to maintain your setup by reading the available tech sections devoted to it. Congrats and enjoy!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 09:11 AM

congrats

be sure to watch the guitar edges, beause it does dint and mark quite easily.

Make sure you play it all day and all night
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 09:56 AM

Congrats,

but I'm terribly sorry...
You are now infected with GAS. This will cause you to buy yet another JEM within the next 12 months.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 10:23 AM

You never forget you first time, mine was with a BFP (thats Blue Floral Pattern NOT a Big Fat Pig!) her name was Rhonda and she was a right goer!!!

make sure you get her a really good set up (unless you've done that kinda of thing before) untill you've got a little more used to doing it.
Most important of all is to just enjoy it and realise you've got one of the best rock guitars on the market.........who's a lucky boy then.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I have owned many a-floyd rose before, so the floating bridge is no new experience for me. I really appreciate this website, it helped me choose which Jem that I wanted (other than the obvious dna2k and jem10). When (not IF) I buy my next Jem, I will probably go with either one of these, or if I am short on cash, a BFP.

I have been looking everywhere for literature explaining every aspect of each Jem (especially the Jem7vwh) and maybe some cool facts about it or something. I can't find it anywhere, so maybe another section of Jemsite would be a good idea, it would probably be a big hit.

I stayed up until 2:00am yesterday playing my Jem and there really aren't any words to describe how awesome it is. It truly is perfection. The fretboard fits my hand PERFECTLY, it feels like the guitar was made custom for me! Maybe Mr. Vai and I have the same size hands? I don't know, but I feel very lucky as I have heard that many people feel that the Jem's fretboard is too wide/thin/long/short/etc.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 11:49 AM
EKG

Ahhhhh....The 7VWH.....Congrats!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 01:16 PM

Congrats!

The VWH was also my first Jem and i can understand your excitement, it's a beautiful guitar.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 01:20 PM

So Hangman, you finally got that thing? Sweeeeet!

I wish I had one...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 01:26 PM

the neck: since vai wanted it 24 frets and he didnt want to make the scale longer he had ibanez move the neck closer into the body. that might be why it feels a little smaller. other than that its a standard 25.5 scale guitar. and CONGRATS!!! im still counting down the days to my first jem, my RG7620 should hold me for a while.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan7620
the neck: since vai wanted it 24 frets and he didnt want to make the scale longer he had ibanez move the neck closer into the body. that might be why it feels a little smaller. other than that its a standard 25.5 scale guitar. and CONGRATS!!! im still counting down the days to my first jem, my RG7620 should hold me for a while.
Huh???????
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 01:49 AM

yeah, lost me on that neck thing too, it's exactly the same size as the RG's were which were pre-jem, and the same dimension as most strat type guitars, I got lost with the neck feeling one inch smaller, it's a 25.5" scale length period, the Jem necks are actually wider than most necks! LOL
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 05:16 AM

Maybe it's the difference in tension with the edge?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, very interesting. Maybe my other guitar (esp-m100) is just longer? When I picked up the 7vwh, I almost felt like I had grown a foot, it just felt shorter.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:04 PM

congrats o ngetting your jem brandon!

i thin kthe difference you feel i nthe guitar may be that the jem neck is thinner and wider so the dimensions are a little different makign the guitar appear a certain way.

congrats again! have fu nwith it!

i always told you ibanez's were betetr

Tags
beautiful guitar , floyd rose , jem neck , standard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode